• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TEK
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Shop talk - help me decide how to attach the top

Hi

I’m having a hard time deciding how to attach the legs to the top of my planned split top roubo workbench.
    Please help me decide by woting for an option.

Option 1: a simple blind tenon joint from the legs and up intonthe table top. Using drawboring to ensure a tight fit:

Option 2: the traditional roubo joint:
    Simple blind tenon
    0%
    Traditional roubo through tenon
    0%
    -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...
  • ergo
    • Mar 2005

Option 2 looks cooler but in practical aspects the Option 1 is probably what I'd go with. Planing and smoothing the end grain parts will probably differ a lot from finishing the rest of the worktop and would be an extra hassle with bit of extra danger of something going bit wrong.

Comment

• Steve Manning
      • Dec 2006

I went with draw-boring when I built mine .... pulled things together nicely.
      Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• TEK
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

My main considerations are:
        - will the roubo through tenon make a sturdier connections between the legs and the top?
        - the roubo through tenon looks damn cool
        - the roubo through tenon is a heck of a lot more work, and -I presume- harder to get right
        - will the roubo through tenon give some advantages for the leg vice - as it will clamp directly to the leg and not having the bench inbetween as with a blind tenon
        -
        -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• Steve Manning
          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by TEK
          My main considerations are:

- will the roubo through tenon make a sturdier connections between the legs and the top? Only if done right with a perfect fit. Though the drawbore is very solid.

- the roubo through tenon looks damn cool. Agree.

- the roubo through tenon is a heck of a lot more work, and -I presume- harder to get right. Very much so.

- will the roubo through tenon give some advantages for the leg vice - as it will clamp directly to the leg and not having the bench inbetween as with a blind tenon. None if you make the legs flush with the top face in both versions.

-
          ----
          Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"