X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Robbie
    • Aug 2000

New DVD Player

Ok Folks

I'm looking to upgrade my almost flawless JVC DVD player with a progressive scan one. The prices have come down just to much and want to actually use my DTV.

I was thinking of the usual suspects Toshiba, Panasonic, and Sony. When I was doing some research and went to AudioReview.com. While I normally take these reviews with a grain of salt, I saw that the Onkyo had the highest rating of all of em. I had never even thought of Onkyo, don't know why, just didn't. However the Onkyo though it had the best ratings had <20 reviews.

My question is this, has anyone on this forum had any experience with Onkyo DVD players. If I don't feel comfortable with it I'll go with the Tosh. It's dificult to get to a store to demo (and many demos are worthless) where I'm at so I want to go with my ducks in a row.

Also does anyone have anything to add which might sway my decision to one brand or another.

Robbie
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

Not sure if this helps but I'm pretty sure Onkyo DVD players are basically re-badged Panasonics. I'm sure there are some differences (especially on their higher end models).

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Robbie
      • Aug 2000

Thanks Sili

Guess that kinda answers a question I had. But how can you tell? Is there something a person could quickly use which would identify this as a Panny rebadge/recase? Guess I just have to get out there and compare to see what differences there are.

Robbie

Comment

• SiliGoose
        • Aug 2000

I can usually tell by comparing the back panel. They're bound to be very similar.
        There's nothing wrong with Panasonic DVD players -so don't take it as a bad thing that Onkyos are based on them. I'd just suggest that unless you're buying a flagship model player there's not much reason to pay more for the Onkyo over a Panasonic.

-Sili
        www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

The Onkyos I've seen/played with (a couple of years ago) were actually rebadged Toshibas, not Panasonics. I don't know if this has changed recently. I noticed the GUI on my sister's Onkyo was nearly identical to the GUI on Toshiba players at the time.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
          My HT Site

Comment

• Robbie
            • Aug 2000

Kevin,

I don't think they would change OEMs. Actually there are few OEMs, Tosh, Panny and Sony I think most others are rebaged, even the high end folks usually use the heart and add their own audio/video electronics. The Onkyo is priced comparable with the Tosh and I like the looks better. Just need to make the trek to the BIG city to check em out.

Robbie

Comment

• Brandon B
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2001

They probably didn't change OEMs, they just multisource. They also offer a rebadged Pioneer F727 300 disc unit.

BB

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"