X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Markj
    • Aug 2000

How do you get to your rear?

I'm talking about cabling here!

Currently I have my cables running along the walls to the back. I use one throw rug to cover one cable which cross a walk way. I was thinking of putting the cables in the ceiling but in-wall cables are hard to find. Plus if I do go in-wall the length is over fifty feet almost sixty. That seems like a long run of cables.

So how do you run your cables to the rear speakers?

How about flat cables under the carpet?
    Regular cables with throw rugs in walk ways?
    Any other ideas?
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

In my new dedicate room the rears and centre channel wires are all in the ceiling while the mains run along the wall behind the curtain to the speakers. Since my gear rack is recessed into the wall you won't be able to see any cables at all which will be very nice...plus I'll have access to the back of my gear from behind the rack

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Excuse me? 8O Hehe. Good one Mark.

My surround cables run along the walls. I ran both along the same walls and curled the excess cable for the shorter run behing the seating where it can't be seen.

Flatwire under carpet will work, however make sure that the guage is at least 16 guage - the straight under your carpet run should be a lot shorter than 50-60 feet, right?

For regular speaker wire going through a doorway go to Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. and pick up on-ground cable protectors. They are hard rubber strips that are arched on top. The speaker cable slips up in the center of the arch through a slit in the bottom side of the strip. They come in two or three colors so you can get kind of close to your flooring color.

Hope this helps.

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Markj
        • Aug 2000

Thank David, the on ground cable protectors is a great idea. I will pick one up.

I feel that the under the carpet might be the way to go. I am hoping they? have larger flat cable than 16 gauge. I have large apogee speakers and I think 12 gauge is the smallest I want to go.

Andrew sound cool the way you can hide your cables. What type of cables are you using in the ceiling?

Comment

• Bob Santos
          • Mar 2001

I run mine in the ceiling.
          Home Depot sells 12g In-Wall speaker wire for 20 cents a foot.
          I just picked up a bunch yesterday to to hook up my rear surrounds.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I'm using a 12 guage in wall aprroved cable from Home Depot. Its twisted and covered in a green protective sheath...cost was very reasonable as well.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Mine run along the wall, under the carpet edge. Unfortunately I have not done anything to conceal the speaker wire running up the walls to the surrounds and back channel speakers. One of these days when I am feeling ambitious, I will go about dropping the wire down behind the drywall. My projector is on the backwall on a high shelf, and the cabling to it is the same as for the speakers.

My Homepage!
              My Homepage!

Comment

• Markj
                • Aug 2000

Thanks for the info guys.

Comment

• Kevin P
                  • Aug 2000

I ran wiremold along the ceiling, on the backside of a decorative beam. From the sweet spot it's entirely invisible. It was the only option in my case since there's no attic above and no basement below my HT room.

In my next house I'll go all in-wall, since I'll put it in before the sheetrock is up (we plan on building next time around).

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
                  My HT Site

Comment

• P-Dub
                    Office Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

First yous take your hand....

I run mine along a baseboard. Then behind some bookscases. One of my speakers is on a ledge, and the other is ontop of a bookshelf.

I'm using regular 12 gauge wire.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
                    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                      • Jan 2002

Well my way won't be of much help to ya but I'll toss it in just in case someone may be building a home in the near future.

I ran conduit underneath my slab and stubbed it up in the corners where my rears would be located and built a corner stand into the wall. Then for the fronts I ran pvc in the wall from the corner where my built in cabinet is to behind the speakers and RPTV. Everything is hidden quite well and if I decide to change out wires/cabling it's fairly easy.

Here's a couple of pics....you can see the corner stand in the first pic and the second you can see the wires going into the pvc.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• Markj
                        • Aug 2000

Thanks for the replies.

I am sorta leaning towards running flat cable under the carpet. This does two things. Makes the cable run much shorter and will be easier to do. I will be replacing the carpet anyway so that should make running the cables relatively easy.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"