X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Putting the BITE back in my system...

Finally, had my 1000 watt factory plate amp repaired at Aerial Acoustics for my SW-12 subwoofer. It's *DA BOMB*

I ran my sub on an external amplifier the last few YEARS, I sat a blanket on top of sub, then a wood cabinet door I had that was originally back door scrap at some home furnishing retailer, then sat my Proceed HPA-2 on top of it to connect to the sub via the straight speaker wire, excluding all electronics of sub. Really an ingenious design that gives a customer an ability to keep powering the driver, even if the plate amp is busted.

What do you get with a company like Aerial? they even shipped me a PLATE amp shipping box designed to carry and protect the massive plate amp during shipping. Mine had been in that box for years. Finally, off the tookus, and shipped that bad boy off for an expedient repair with Michael @ Aerial.

Note Eagle and American flags was something I got at my Mom and Dad's as we closed their place out. I saw it, I said you know, it's probably something one of the family gave them as a gift, or it could have been a friend, regardless, it makes a Made in USA, and kick butt STATEMENT.

I bought my Aeriel Acoustic sub a very long time ago. Mike said my amp was quite old unit. No matter, it has a new microprocessor board in it now!!!

Survey sez?!

Even with dust on the plate steel base of my Sonus faber Extrema stand, the Extrema still tries to steal the show from the Aerial SW-12 sub. Not many speakers this old could do that looks wise, but the Extrema have always been an artistic unique legend of home audio, I simply love them. I often called them the Ferrari of home theater speakers, made in Italy and all... heh. I watched like a movie with a younger

:surround::dancenana::dancenana::dancenana:
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • chrisn
    • Sep 2007

Glad you could get it repaired. I was unfamiliar with the Extrema, and gave no thought to their age, so I looked them up. Wouldn't have put them on par with my own age Are those the version with no capacitor?

Comment

• Alaric
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

Suh-weeeeeeet! :T

That looks to be one monster plate amp, and a very nice looking subwoofer. The SFs speak for themselves.... So what movie are you going to welcome the amp home with?
      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
      Schiit Modi 3
      Marantz CD5005
      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Chris, yes, these are the original Extremas without active crossovers. They used some special engineering to make these speakers these crossovers work. I have owned these speakers probably half their existance time I guess? I did buy them used out of Canada. I have several more Sonus faber, but they are all original Concert series, nothing as dramatically special as these Extremas. With a great pre-amp and amplification, the mid range on these speakers is spectacular, and the highs are warm and detailed like the top shelf Sonus faber they are. Sonus faber has always been special with strings, saxes, any orchestra type music, voicing, jazz, blues and yes even exotic rock like Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon. They really can do it all, and with the Aerial handling the lows, they are in their element.

Well, Chris, I could have bought a new plate amp from Aerial for $500.00 more than the repair. But, how I figure it, he put a new microprocessor board in mine, it works as intended, and I still got 5 bills in my wallet. :-) That's funny that my speakers are as old as you are Chris. LOL. You sure know how to boost an old guy's ego, hahaha.

Since you were fascinated, I have to tell you the story. Many years ago, I walked into a then local VERY high end hi-fi store called Statement Audio. They sold Sonus faber, Theta Digital, Mark Levinson, Proceed, McIntosh, B & W, some others I am forgetting. When I saw those speakers priced $10,000 new, I stroked them like a fine Italian sports car, their sleak cabinets, original design, and sheer artistic beauty. Of course, these were 10K, what I bought was the Concert series Piano black Concerto Grand Pianos on marble sedementary stones @ 4K. The 10K speakers were a pipe dream. Until someday, low and behold I was able to find a mint pair of used available on a popular audio site, and I was able to buy them for 1/2 their new price, Shipped!!! These weigh a combined 400+ pounds with the stands that are heavy enough to drop a Hemi motor on them from 3 feet up and probably have it bounce off the plate steel. LOL. They are also concrete filled from factory.

The Aerial SW-12 sub, is of the same caliber gear. Such a great sub, makes me want to ditch drivers I have been holding to build a massive sub with someday. The fact is, I hope this is all the sub I will ever need.

Hey Lee, that plate amp is as big and heavy as you might think. LOL. I had to put it on a low stool hook up the short "lead" speaker cables and the serial connection to the electronics of the box inside the sub, then I could hoist it into place, hold it however possible, and start phillips screws into place. Oh, I mounted it upside down first, and went SH..! Then proceeded to remove it, reverse it, and then re-install. It was last Friday evening's project... lol.

I used a movie channel to watch some stuff. I think it was like original Marvel heroes, where there are a few heroes that have some big fight, a woman died. The guy with the long nails was shot in the head with silver bullets Wolverines? something like that... It tested it out pretty good! I don't have everything hooked up right now, after switching pre-pros from that Marantz that pissed me off, back to a used Lexicon MC-8, until I either get my MC-12 fixed, or buy a used upgraded MC-12 with HDMI video. Possible... I can be patient, since I am in business with the MC-8, but I do have some more work to do to get all my system back online. I work on things in bits and pieces, here and there, as I have time...
        Doug

Comment

• Alaric
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

The guy with the long nails was shot in the head with silver bullets Wolverines? something like that...
          Freddie Krueger? :rofl:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dougs bad movie.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	863227
          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
          Schiit Modi 3
          Marantz CD5005
          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

oh no, this guy was more a regular guy except for the nails, also flame eyes was in it

Doug

Comment

• Alaric
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

I was just teasin'. I have no idea who is and isn't with Marvel. Hell, I hardly ever read comic books as a kid. My mom started teaching me to read when I was 3, and by kindergarten I read pretty much any book I wanted. My grandmother had two sets of Encyclopedia Brittanica when we lived with her and by age 8 I had read every one of them, many more than once. By the time I was old enough to appreciate comic books I was reading Frank Herbert, Robert Heinlein, and Isaac Asimov. Until I was 8 I lived in a house full of really smart, educated adults. So I ended up with a knowledge addiction and never lost it. LOL When my friends bought Spiderman I bought Popular Science.
              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
              Schiit Modi 3
              Marantz CD5005
              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

Ok, I did officially watch my first Blue Ray with my refreshed Aerial Sub active, and it was a personal favorite, "The Italian Job" version 2 with Charlize Theron, and Mark Wahlberg, Jason Statham, Edward Norton, Donald Sutherland (age 82 now). I was out of the room when one of the major explosions hit, and it like to made me jump out of my skin, lol. So, the sub is doing it's job! well done, I'd say! I had 3 displays on, a 4K Samsung curved front 55", Samsung Plasma 60", and a 1080P Sanyo 1080P projector. When close up, the 4K smokes the front projected image, but from my oposite wall, it's plenty viewable. You just can't get to close to a projector image, without it seeming pixelated. When compared to 4K, but it was fun, of course, I don't put as much emphasis on where the center speaker is, and all, cannot have it all without motorized drop down TV mounts, and I am not going there. It's all about fun, and I am not as much a purist as I used to be.... Well, I don't buy DVDs like I used to. Frankly, there are few movies I'd purchase anymore. Maybe someday I will pick up the newest Bond film, which I don't have, and maybe Avatar II (whenever it's available), see, I just don't keep up!
                Doug

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"