X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ice cube
    • Jan 2015

I need your help...

I have a pair of B&W CM9, a pair of CM5 and CM2. SUB JAMO660 (5.1) Denon 4520Ci, Room size (4x4) Mete not Feet. What is the benefit of having Processor + Amp and AVReciever in my room. If the amp is going to add more watt >> in my opinion I don't want extra watt but if the Processor + Amp will give clarity , detailed sound or warmth I would have Processor + Amp but if it is just an extra watt I don't need them just Denon 4520Ci is enough correct me please. if you will say take Processor + Amp (what do you recommend) Nad pre + ATi Amp or Rotel pre + Ati amp or any thing else I appreciate your help Bye Bye
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Hey Ice man!
    Well, some will say that separates will perform better than a receiver but that all depends what you are going to do with the system. Are you an 'audiophile' that critically listens to a lot of music with the system or are you mostly a home theater person? Your room is very small with a 12x12 foot listening area when roughly converted to feet. It also depends on how large your pocket book is as well.
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Welcome to the Guide, ice cube!

You state that power isn't an issue. From what I gather from your post, you're pretty much happy but feel there is still more to be had???

My personal experience has found, the biggest and "usually" best improvements come from good speaker placement and solid calibration. I've had a few receivers and pre/pro + amp combos over the years. All have had their strength and weakness. If you listen at modest or slightly above levels, I'm pretty confident the Denon is more than up to the task. The load of the speaker and the levels you want from them in a given space will dictate the need of an external amp.

Sound is so personal and subjective, only you can really say if a pre/pro + amp will make a difference. You have very nice system, many would be more than happy with.
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by John Holmes
        Welcome to the Guide, ice cube!

You state that power isn't an issue. From what I gather from your post, you're pretty much happy but feel there is still more to be had???

My personal experience has found, the biggest and "usually" best improvements come from good speaker placement and solid calibration. I've had a few receivers and pre/pro + amp combos over the years. All have had their strength and weakness. If you listen at modest or slightly above levels, I'm pretty confident the Denon is more than up to the task. The load of the speaker and the levels you want from them in a given space will dictate the need of an external amp.

Sound is so personal and subjective, only you can really say if a pre/pro + amp will make a difference. You have very nice system, many would be more than happy with.
        I agree, it's already a very nice setup and for a room that size the power is plentiful. If I were in the OP's shoes, I'd experiment with speaker placement and run Audyssey with each new placement until I got the sound I wanted. A real time room analyzer (REW is an excellent free one available online) with a decent mic will cost a lot less than new gear and will maximize the effectiveness of Audyssey and speaker (especially the subwoofer) placement (I speak from experience though with a different EQ system--same principle applies though).

Comment

• ice cube
          • Jan 2015

Thank you all .. I don't want to waste my money .. But if I want to change my Denon 4520ci. Right now I am thinking of Atoms ... What I want is Denon 7200 or Marantz 8022 + amp. What do you recommend.

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Separates offer a better upgrade path in the future (you only need to re-buy a processor and not an amp too) and generally offer more power and better dynamics than receivers.

That said, receivers generally have more bleeding edge features, lower initial investment and would likely offer "enough" power for your smaller room.

It's really your call as to what's more important.
            Jason

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by ice cube
              Hello, thank you for your reply on my thread..
              My Q is .... Is it really worth to have separates.

I have B&W CM9,CM5,CM2, ASW10CM SUB5.1, and Denon4520ci.
              This AVR is my mistake, I discover after 1 year that it is not driving or giving me more Watts. And the integra 70.6 is the best mate as AVR. Smooth, clear, detailed, bright and has worm sound. Are there any separates going to give me more than integra. If separates will give more ... How much... 6% .. I don't want to upgraded just for even10% ... What do you think.
              Unfortunately the only person who can answer that is you. I don't know what your personal finances are like or what your system sounds like in your home, to your ears.

Having said that, generally speaking, even the best of receivers have trouble supplying the kind of power and clarity that a quality separate amp can with it's own dedicated power transformer(s) and isolated circuitry. If you're serious about this hobby, a separate amp is almost never a bad idea. And you already have good quality speakers to take advantage of extra power.

Your Integra unit looks like a pretty nice piece of kit but if you're already finding it's power lacking a separate amp is probably the most likely upgrade. You can still use the Integra as a processor (utilizing its pre-outs to the amp(s) ), heck you can even still use it to run the surround channels and just amplify your mains and/or centre speaker.

So that leaves you with a few options IMO. You could get a two channel amp to power your main left and right speakers and let the Integra power the rest. Or you could get say a five channel amp, bi-amp your mains and power your centre speaker with the amp and leave the Integra to power only surround/effects channels. As a final option, you can get one or multiple amps to power anywhere from five (I see that the Integra is Atmos ready) to eleven (or a whopping 13 if you have a full Atmos suite of speakers AND want to bi-amp your mains...and money to burn :lol: )

Personally I'd probably go with the second option of a five chanel amp powering your centre and bi-amping your mains. As for which make/model...that will depend highly on your budget and secondarily on where you're located.

Otherwise, I second (third?) the recommendation to experiment with speaker placement, calibration...and room treatment. But it's hard to say for sure what you need without knowing exactly what you find is lacking.
              Jason

Comment

• ice cube
                • Jan 2015

Thank you .. I have convinced.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"