X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bvbellomo
    • Mar 2013

5.1 or 7.1 or other formats for upgrade

My living room is 16' x 19', with the TV centered on the 16' wall. I currently have AV123's reference mains and center (high end speakers), a HSU VTF3MK3 (huge and powerful sub), and 4 dirt cheap surround speakers. These are powered by a Yamaha RX-A3000 (nice receiver). I listen to about 80% movies and 20% music. I sometimes sit 3' feet away from the TV, 10' away or anywhere in between, but always centered.

I am very happy with this setup. My bride to be is not. She thinks the speakers are ugly and while she agrees they sound good she doesn't appreciate them. So what does an enamored audiophile do? Use this as an excuse to upgrade!

The only way I can out-do the ref's on my budget is to build my own speakers - something I am comfortable with and have always wanted to try. I already have some parts that I am playing with to build a pro-type to replace the surrounds. Since I can build a surround far better than what I have now for under $100, I can have as many as I want (depending on WAF, of course). Which brings up the question of how many I should build.

My receiver will power any 7.1 set up and anything up to 9.2 (might need a separate amp). Going 5.1 means placing the sides in the back corners, so no sound comes from behind when sitting far away and no side comes from the left and right sitting close to the TV. We might sit closer to the center of the room however as once my wife moves in as this is currently a movie/computer room/office and it will become more of a living room, entertaining and TV room. My budget will go farther towards a nicer set of 5.1 speakers which might also have a higher WAF than going 9.1.

Most movies are 5.1, but some of the newer ones are 7.1. Is that becoming the new standard?

Are 9.1, 6.1 or combinations other than 5.1 or 7.1 worth looking into? I ran 6.1 for a while and liked it, but one one seems to use this anymore. 7.1 is not any worse, but does not seem better to me in this room.

If I go 7.1 (or higher) do my surrounds need to produce as much sound as if I go 5.1? 2 mids or woofers per speaker gives more output. Are 4 surrounds with 87db max output better or worse than 2 surrounds that can do 90db?
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

You are over complicating the issue!. 5.1 is all you need for a home setup. Women as a general rule, do not like 'unsightly' home theater setups, speakers, big TV's and the damn wires that go with them. However, they normally warm up once they sit through a movie or concert and appreciate the beauty of the experience and sound (There are exceptions though!!). Speakers are EVERYTHING in music and HT sound so invest there when you have the ability to upgrade. Just sit back and enjoy!!.
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Welcome to the Guide! :banana: Dan's got the right concept with the WAF. She may not want you to go with a bunch of speakers, but I do think you can come up with speaker sizes, design, and placements that are satisfactory with you both.

I respectfully disagree with Dan though about 5.1 or more. I do definitely find that home users with suitable setups get benefits from 7.1, such as a bigger soundfield. 16x19' is enough to get some benefits. As for 7.1 material, movies in the new HDMI-only high rez formats like Dolby True HD and DTS-MA do have 7.1 distinct channels. That is what I use in my setup. Anything more than 7.1 will be cool, but just processed sound from the original source.

Surround channels are designed for effects, so the speakers do not need to be really efficient. Don't worry about needing to build really efficient surrounds, but do build/buy them for dispersed sound design, not direct radiating.
      Last edited by Chris D; 10 April 2013, 21:28 Wednesday. Reason: Edited to correct do's and don'ts in last sentence
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

I found 7.1 a huge improvement over 5.1. But I have a dedicated theater so anything goes there.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
          I found 7.1 a huge improvement over 5.1. But I have a dedicated theater so anything goes there.
          I must admit that I have never heard a 7.1 home system. However, in a home setting, it comes across as a little overkill is all!!

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by madmac
            I must admit that I have never heard a 7.1 home system. However, in a home setting, it comes across as a little overkill is all!!
            Just so I'm clear, you've never heard a 7.1 home system, yet you are telling people that it's overkill and 5.1 is all you need?

From my experience, if your room is large enough for it, your seating position is correct, and you don't skimp out on the center rears, it's a very worthwhile investment.

Kevin D.

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Kevin D
              Just so I'm clear, you've never heard a 7.1 home system, yet you are telling people that it's overkill and 5.1 is all you need?

From my experience, if your room is large enough for it, your seating position is correct, and you don't skimp out on the center rears, it's a very worthwhile investment.

Kevin D.
              Ok...ok...I admit it!!. NEVER heard a 7.1 system!!.........I'll go away now !! Hehehe!!. However, I will honestly admit that if I had the bigger room and the pocket book to afford 2 more good speakers, I would damn well do it!!. There!!!........I said it!!.

Comment

• madmac
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2010

.....but then again, I've probably heard 7.1 in a movie theater!!?. However, the sound is usually so bad now in most of these 'mass market' theaters that I didn't notice the improvement at all. Give me my BD player and my 5.1 any day over the garbage sound in theaters nowadays!!

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

You do hit on an important related issue, Dan. I'll take a good 5.1 home system any day over a crappy 7.1 system. But I do think a good 7.1 system is worth it in the majority of homes.
                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Alloroc
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
                    You do hit on an important related issue, Dan. I'll take a good 5.1 home system any day over a crappy 7.1 system. But I do think a good 7.1 system is worth it in the majority of homes.
                    Ditto. With the right BRD and a well mixed soundtrack, 7.1 is a stunning experience.... I'm not so convinced with the matrixed formats like PLz and NeoX mind you....even up to and beyond 9 or 11 speaker setups... But yeah, if you have the amp channels, go for it!
                    Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• madmac
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2010

I'm curious.....how many dvd's and BD's have a dedicated 7.1 soundtrack??.

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Hmmmm... it would have to be BD, because 7.1 can only be contained on the new lossless audio tracks. I couldn't say for sure, but I would actually guess that ALL of the BD's made from new movies would have 7.1 audio. I'm sure some new movie discs are made cheap, without 7.1 mixes, but it does seem to be the standard now. (thankfully)
                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"