X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swinginguitar
    • Dec 2012

External inputs on AVR

I'm looking at getting a used Denon receiver (AVR-2310CI).

I want to use it as basically as a mulitchannel power amp - using the external inputs.

In general, are all of the external inputs active all the time, even in the direct/pure modes? Do all inputs pass to the respective outputs in those modes?

An example application would be to run a stereo source signal into a crossover, then have the 4 outputs of the crossover (left and right high and low) each feed a discrete channel of the AVR power amps.

So, not really using it for multi channel in the sense of 5.1 or 7.1, but as 4+ discrete mono power amps. Possible?
  • kcsun
    • Jan 2012

I do not know that particular model, but do not think that will be possible, on an avr there may be 7 outputs but not individual imputs to each channel
    kc
    Arcam avr600, Sky HD 2Tb, Oppo 103D, Sony VPL-VW500ES, Phillips large Pronto pro remote
    B&W 803Di speakers, B&W HTM2Di centre speaker, B&W 7NT in wall rear speakers, B&W ASW1000 Sub

Comment

• swinginguitar
      • Dec 2012

The rear panel shows 8 external inputs, but i'm not clear (even with the manual) how they are routed.

Comment

• kcsun
        • Jan 2012

I stand corrected, on page 16 of your manual it indicates that you can use the inputs and they refer exactly to the outputs of your amp, so line input level in - through amp to speaker level output so in theory your idea in the first post 4 mono blocks would work
        kc
        Arcam avr600, Sky HD 2Tb, Oppo 103D, Sony VPL-VW500ES, Phillips large Pronto pro remote
        B&W 803Di speakers, B&W HTM2Di centre speaker, B&W 7NT in wall rear speakers, B&W ASW1000 Sub

Comment

• Glen B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by swinginguitar
          An example application would be to run a stereo source signal into a crossover, then have the 4 outputs of the crossover (left and right high and low) each feed a discrete channel of the AVR power amps.

So, not really using it for multi channel in the sense of 5.1 or 7.1, but as 4+ discrete mono power amps. Possible?
          IMO, that is not likely to work very well, and the AVR will struggle to keep up with demands. In normal surround sound use, not all amplifier channels are called upon to deliver high power simultaneously. Most mass market receivers are designed with that in mind, in order to keep costs down. Their power supplies will usually have enough current for no more than 3 of the channels to be driven to full rated power, and output falls off as more channels are driven hard.

I think if Denon wanted that AVR to be used as a multichannel power amp, they would have provided separate amp section inputs. I have an older Marantz multichannel receiver that is designed that way, with separate jumpered preouts/amp inputs, massive power supply, and forced air tunnel cooling. It weighs around 50lbs, more than many separate amps.

If you want to bi-amp most effectively, IMO spend your money on a decent multichannel power amp or pair of stereo amps. The multichannel amps from Emotiva and Outlaw Audio are great values.

Comment

• swinginguitar
            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Glen B
            IMO, that is not likely to work very well, and the AVR will struggle to keep up with demands. In normal surround sound use, not all amplifier channels are called upon to deliver high power simultaneously. Most mass market receivers are designed with that in mind, in order to keep costs down. Their power supplies will usually have enough current for no more than 3 of the channels to be driven to full rated power, and output falls off as more channels are driven hard.

I think if Denon wanted that AVR to be used as a multichannel power amp, they would have provided separate amp section inputs. I have an older Marantz multichannel receiver that is designed that way, with separate jumpered preouts/amp inputs, massive power supply, and forced air tunnel cooling. It weighs around 50lbs, more than many separate amps.

If you want to bi-amp most effectively, IMO spend your money on a decent multichannel power amp or pair of stereo amps. The multichannel amps from Emotiva and Outlaw Audio are great values.
            that raises a good point - i had not thought about it not being built for continuous multi channel use.

If it makes any difference, I would be using it for nearfield/desktop - not high SPLs by any stretch...

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"