X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD Question

Does anyone have this Blu Ray player? I am wondering how load time is on it. The old first generation players are so slow, I am hoping someone can tell me this is a FAST player to load?

How about other comments on it?

Appreciate any info.

Doug
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Dmantis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2004

The newer Pioneer Elite players are much faster then the older models. They are however questionable with built quality. We have had a few of them fail , then repaired then failed again. I had the BDP-53FD and it lasted all about a weekend.
    I have yet to mess around with the 62 as we kinda shy'd away from it due to the 5 series issues.
    The 5 series Elite receivers also had some HDMI issues , the new 6 series seem to be fine , we had no issues with any 6 series elite's. I'm hoping there was a bad run of HDMI boards in the 5 series.

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Dan, even though I read some stuff not overly perfect about the player, I decided to give it a try. If I am lucky and get a good one, great, if not it will be a $300 learning experience. I still have my Sony first gen player, so I will have a backup too.

I'll post some results when it arrives.
      Doug

Comment

• Blindamood
        • Sep 2003

Secrets review of Pioneer BDP-62FD
        Brad

Comment

• Dmantis
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jun 2004

lex,
          good luck with it , I really wish Pioneer would release a reference quality player. I don't see it in this model and have no plans on even putting my hands on one.
          I've been holding my breath for so long for Pioneer Elite to release a reference quality Blu ray Universal player that I basically have passed out.

Dan

Comment

• Dmantis
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Blindamood
            Thank you for posting that review , it sounds like I wrote it.

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

well, I guess I may have been to quick to act on this one after reading that review, a bit to trusting of the Elite nameplate. Apparently that doesn't mean what it used to. Lesson learned. I guess we'll see how it compares to my generation 1 player. If I am personally disappointed, then I'll send it back or keep it for SACD only if nothing else.

Maybe it won't disappoint on that.
              Doug

Comment

• madmac
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2010

I find the difference between cd/bd players to be minor but they are there if you have the system to bring out those differences. Before my Marantz CD63SE, I was using a Pioneer Lazerdisc player as a CD player. Needless to say, when I got the Marantz hooked up, the difference in presentation was profound to say the least!!!.
                Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Ovation
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Lex
                  well, I guess I may have been to quick to act on this one after reading that review, a bit to trusting of the Elite nameplate. Apparently that doesn't mean what it used to. Lesson learned. I guess we'll see how it compares to my generation 1 player. If I am personally disappointed, then I'll send it back or keep it for SACD only if nothing else.

Maybe it won't disappoint on that.
                  Since your AVR/processor will be doing all the heavy lifting (the player will only send a digital signal ahead to the AVR/processor), it should be competent at SACD.

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

Yes, the dacs in my MC12 will handle D to A. I am holding out hope that my blu ray results are better than it's review says it will be and better than pioneer's reputation now. It's possible. I hate to be getting something new and just feel like it's junk before I even take it out of the box. But if it's bad, I will send it back to seller. As long as I can get agreement for refund, which I don't think he could deny me with ebay's reseller requirements these days.
                    Doug

Comment

• Lex
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Apr 2001

The FD62 bd player has not been bad so far for what I paid for it. 315.00 total.

I watched part of Avatar late last night, and it was impressive. The first movie I watched, Knight and Day wasn't quite as impressive, having a lot of pixelization. It could have been a bad transfer on this movie.

I decided it will be nice to have one player on my projector, and one on my plasma (59"), right now I am using this player on my plasma. If I run another HDMI run I could use the one player for both, and I may run another cable anyway to my split. It's crazy, I know, but I do HDMI splitting with cable connections, so I can run different sources to different displays, oh, to have HDMI switching someday, that would be nice. But my MC-12 isn't current with HDMI switching, and it would cost far to much to update. Not in budget.

I tell you one thing, the fast load time is worth changing players for normal use alone. My old Sony is so slow.

Doug
                      Doug

Comment

• Dmantis
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jun 2004

Keep us updated Lex , I'm curious how long this player stays working. Hopefully like the rest of the Pioneer Elite 6 series products , it's rock solid. All the 6 series receivers have been excellent.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"