Thinking of going with 2 Pro 18" Subs...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pio
    • Nov 2005

Thinking of going with 2 Pro 18" Subs...

So you know, I run 4 subs in my HT set up (all are Velodynes, 2 are older HGS12's and the other 2 are newer DD-12's) - one in each corner, so keep that in mind

Ok, so one of my 13 year old Velodyne HGS12's finally gave out. Instead of fixing it I'm thinking of replacing it. I want to keep the price to under 1,000 bucks and there's a bunch of options in that range from SVS, Outlaw, Rythmik, NHT, etc. Remember, I don't need a crazy expensive sub because I'm running so many of them that they kind of loaf along nowhere near their max output.

HOWEVER - I had a crazy idea, why not get a couple of passive 18" pro subwoofers from JBL or EV? I have an amp that will drive them and I can get 2 of them for under $1K. The specs for these subs don't look crazy impressive, they only go down to the mid 30's but as my friend here at the station says - "consumer stuff might be rated to 20hz but it's probably -10DB, pro specs won't do that". I just can't imagine that a 18" driver (crossed over at 80HZ) won't produce a 25HZ sound effect.

Anyways, the pro subs would replace my 2 rear Subs so I would keep the DD-12's in front.

EDIT: Deleted links to the stores for the subs...
    Last edited by Pio; 23 June 2012, 18:06 Saturday.
    Stereo: Revel F208, Parasound JC2, JC1's, Oppo HA-1, VPI, Dynavector, Moon

HT: B&W 802D2, 805S, HTM4, Marantz, OPPO BDP95, Velodyne DD-12's

HP / secondary system: Woo Audio W2, Carver Sunfire, Kef LS50, Denon, and too many headphones to list
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Pio
    So you know, I run 4 subs in my HT set up (all are Velodynes, 2 are older HGS12's and the other 2 are newer DD-12's) - one in each corner, so keep that in mind

Ok, so one of my 13 year old Velodyne HGS12's finally gave out. Instead of fixing it I'm thinking of replacing it. I want to keep the price to under 1,000 bucks and there's a bunch of options in that range from SVS, Outlaw, Rythmik, NHT, etc. Remember, I don't need a crazy expensive sub because I'm running so many of them that they kind of loaf along nowhere near their max output.

HOWEVER - I had a crazy idea, why not get a couple of passive 18" pro subwoofers from JBL or EV? I have an amp that will drive them and I can get 2 of them for under $1K. The specs for these subs don't look crazy impressive, they only go down to the mid 30's but as my friend here at the station says - "consumer stuff might be rated to 20hz but it's probably -10DB, pro specs won't do that". I just can't imagine that a 18" driver (crossed over at 80HZ) won't produce a 25HZ sound effect.

Anyways, the pro subs would replace my 2 rear Subs so I would keep the DD-12's in front.

What do you think??? Check out the subs I'm considering below...

JBL JRX118S 18" Compact Subwoofer | GuitarCenter

EV ELX118 Live X 18" Passive PA Subwoofer Speaker 245-573
    Jezzus......your gonna' bring the house down with either of these!!. However, they both look more like DJ equipment than home audio equipment.
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Pio
      • Nov 2005

I went to listen to the JBL 18s yesterday and I was somewhat underwhelmed at the low end output, the guy at Guitar Center was too. I'm just going to go with either an SVS or the down firing Outlaw Audio.

I knew it was a crazy idea
      Stereo: Revel F208, Parasound JC2, JC1's, Oppo HA-1, VPI, Dynavector, Moon

HT: B&W 802D2, 805S, HTM4, Marantz, OPPO BDP95, Velodyne DD-12's

HP / secondary system: Woo Audio W2, Carver Sunfire, Kef LS50, Denon, and too many headphones to list

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"