X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jacket_fan
    • Oct 2006

Is this a crazy idea?

In the front of the theater I have a few problems I need to address.

I have a pair of Magnepan 3.6s and a CC3 center channel. I have two DIY subs. And I have an amp (Cinepro 3k6SE) sitting on the carpet that drives the two subs. The CC3 sits on a speaker stand I made for the old center channel that is now upstairs in the family room. I would like to clean things up. I have been working on an idea to combine the pieces. I am looking at a combination Subwoofer, Amp stand, and Center channel stand.

I have modeled up some concepts on how to have two 15 in sub drivers, a hole in the back to stick the amp and a place to house the center channel. I show the subs in a back firing, a down firing configuration and an opposing configuration one as well. I am assuming that the opposing configuration would be the better since there would be less vibration, but with something as big as this would end up being, mass may overcome the vibration and not be a problem. And I would prefer from an aesthetic stand point to have the drivers facing down or back. The drivers would be two more AV-15s from John at Acoustic Elegance.

My thought is that I would use a sealed design for the subs to match the two existing subs and have a 3 cubic foot per sub volume. Would likely use plate amps to power them. These would also be run through a Marchand BASSIS for some low end boost and a BFD for equalization.

The Cinepro amp has fans. I hate fan noise. And the fans do come on, especially when I listen to bass heavy music. So am wondering if I can do some acoustic trick inside the hole I am planning which could lower the fan noise. Either line the cavity with foam or attenuate some other way.

As far as the speaker stand part goes, I leave the back open for the Maggie center back wave. I assume this is necessary, although have not contacted Magnepan about it.

This way, I get two more subs, a way to locate and reduce fan noise and a less obnoxious speaker stand.

The finish would be cherry and similar to the finish on the Maggies, the bracing I made for the 3.6s and the DIY subs.

I would like feedback on whether this is a silly idea or constructive criticism on how to make this work.

Rear firing sub

Front view

Back View

Section cut

Down firing

Side firing
    Mark
  • brent_s
    • Jun 2006

My first thought would be the effect of "extending" the CC3's effective baffle size. If Maggie intended for it to be free standing with appropriate baffle step, you're going to get 3-6dB of bass bloom below the step frequency since your cabinet essentially turns it into an inwall design.

To help control vibration transfer to the amp, you could use foam blocks ala the Grama subwoofer isolation stands. Your nearest sporting goods store with paddle sports outfitting should sell the good dense stuff in various thicknesses.

Any reason the amp can't be placed with the rest of the e-gear? I would also contact Cinepro about possible quiet fan swaps like folks do for pro amps.

My quick .02.

-Brent

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"