X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

BD sound for movie's??

Hey all....Can anyone explain why BD movies (Specifically the LFE and dynamic range) sound so much better than DVD....even when in my case, I am playing them in standard DD and DTS?????. The difference is EXTREMELY noticeable to be honest ????!!!.

Dan Madden :T
  • stuofsci02
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

I would assume that is is because they do not need as much compression on the audio track since the blueray is so much bigger. Dolby and DTS are both lossy formats.. But I am not sure if like MP3 you can control the amount of loss at the expense of file size..
    Main System:
    B&W 801D
    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
    Oppo BDP-105
    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
    B&W CM7
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva UPA-2
    Oppo BDP-83SE
    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

I'll tell you one small issue that sometimes comes into play. On legacy DVD's, most of the DTS tracks, and many Dolby, were produced with a lower bitrate. (really due to fize size) On BD's, they're full bitrate.

Example: My all-time favorite movie/video is U2's "Rattle and Hum". I'm very familiar with the material. When I bought it on HD-DVD, (and later BD) I could tell a better sound throughout the video, even though it's in DTS, JUST like the DVD. I even pointed this out to a lead Dolby engineer, and he said, "NO, there is NO difference in sound if it's still DD/DTS!" However, I pointed out that the HD-DVD/BD versions use full bitrate, so the sound is fuller and more detailed. He thought about it, and agreed. The difference is nowhere like going to lossless audio, but to me it was noticeable on my favorite movie/video.

Would any normal person notice on the average movie? I'm not sure.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

OMG... I love Rattle & Hum. I never thought of getting it on BD. That should sound incredible. Time to make a trip to Best Buy...

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

Truth is for me, there is a HUGE difference between BD and DVD sound wise!!. When I load a movie in BD format (Via optical to my Rotel), and the previews load and play, it simply blows me away!!!. The overall dynamic range and LFE's are stunning!!!.

Comment

• bigburner
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

Take the "Crossroads Eric Clapton Guitar Festival 2010" concert as an example.

Here's what you get on the Blu-ray disc for DTS:

DTS-HD Master Audio / 5.1 / 96 kHz / 8176 kbps / 24-bit and DTS Core 5.1 / 48 kHz / 1509 kbps / 24-bit

If you have older gear that can't decode DTS-HD Master Audio then you will be listening to the DTS Core at 5.1 / 48 kHz / 1509 kbps / 24-bit.

Compare that with what you get on the standard DVD disc for DTS:

DTS 5.1 / 48 kHz / 755 kbps / 16-bit

The Blu-ray disc has much higher resolution even if your equipment can't handle the new codecs.

Nigel.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Yes, higher bitrate and 24-bit signal as well.

Comment

• madmac
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2010

Well ok then....that explains it!!.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"