X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scarpi
    • Jul 2008

Marantz AV7005 preamp

Anyone have the new Marantz AV7005 preamp/controller. Sure looks nice and has alot of features. How is it only $1500? It is made in Japan. Heck my B&K Ref 30 preamp was $2800 ten years ago. If my Ref 30 ever gives up especially since B&K went under, I might have to consider the Marantz. In the old days I owned a Marantz 2240 receiver.
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Originally posted by scarpi
    Anyone have the new Marantz AV7005 preamp/controller. Sure looks nice and has alot of features. How is it only $1500? It is made in Japan. Heck my B&K Ref 30 preamp was $2800 ten years ago. If my Ref 30 ever gives up especially since B&K went under, I might have to consider the Marantz. In the old days I owned a Marantz 2240 receiver.
    Yes technology improves and prices decrease.

My first Plasma was $20,000 now I could buy ten of them!!!!
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• scarpi
      • Jul 2008

I understand that, but typical AV preamp/controllers that have features similiar to the Marantz and even like the B&K Ref 70 cost $3k to $5k today. It just seems so inexpensive that it makes you wonder about the sound quality. It sure is tempting me. It looks beautiful! :T

Comment

• audioqueso
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

I plan on picking one up after Christmas. I'll compare the Marantz AV7005 + Emotiva XPA-5 vs Marantz SR7002 + Emotiva XPA-5 and see how much of the difference there is. I hope it's huge because the pre-outs of the SR7002 suck.
        B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• wettou
          Ultra Senior Member
          • May 2006

Originally posted by scarpi
          I understand that, but typical AV preamp/controllers that have features similiar to the Marantz and even like the B&K Ref 70 cost $3k to $5k today. It just seems so inexpensive that it makes you wonder about the sound quality. It sure is tempting me. It looks beautiful! :T
          That's why B&K is out of business they just could not compete
          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• snmhanson
            • Jun 2010

AVS Forum has a fairly long thread on the AV7005. So far it seems to be getting pretty good reviews and seems to be a solid product, but it has only been out a week or so. I am looking at picking one up in a few months, depending on what else comes down the pipe during that time. I was waiting to see the new processors from Emotiva or Outlaw. While I am still open to their offerings, considering the issues both of those companies have had getting their processors to market and the issues the UMC-1 has had, I am not holding my breath. The AV7005 seems to offer everything I need - and then some - at a very reasonable price.

Matt

Comment

• Hammie
              • Oct 2005

Just remember that if you need DSD over HDMI, the Marantz will not do it. There are rumors that an 8005 will come out in 2011 with that feature.
              Panasonic TC-P65VT30
              Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
              Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
              Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
              B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
              Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
              My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
              Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• bmowis
                • Oct 2006

Can't beat it for $1500

Originally posted by Hammie
                Just remember that if you need DSD over HDMI, the Marantz will not do it. There are rumors that an 8005 will come out in 2011 with that feature.
                I've seen the rumors about an 8005, and I believe them. Marantz, right now, seems to be preparing the market for it.

However, I have not heard anything about DSD in the 8005. All I have seen is what is readily available at AVS. Folks there who say they have spoken with Marantz are telling us that Marantz is abandoning DSD, calling it 'legacy'.

By the way, I picked up my AV7005 back on Nov 3rd - It is a great little unit for the money. I've paired it with an Emotiva XPA-2 to power my Nat Ps, and I am particularly happy with the musicality of this combo in 2-channel stereo, so I was a little surprised when I saw that it was getting mixed early reviews in that department. Not sure if I completely buy into the the 'break-in period' thing for a pre, but folks at AVS are claiming that it is making a positive difference on their units.

Anyway, I'd recommend giving this unit a shot if you're on the market for a pre. Sounds great out-of-the-box, and it is Sonically better than my old Onko PR-SC886, IMO, but I'm just going by memory.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Hammie
                  Just remember that if you need DSD over HDMI, the Marantz will not do it.
                  No one needs DSD over HDMI although some people say they prefer it. You can just send the output as PCM and the AV7005 does just fine. Remember, if you do any DSP at all (room EQ, bass management, etc.), it must be done in PCM anyway.
                  Kal Rubinson

Comment

• wettou
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • May 2006

I don't understand why Marantz did not get Audyssey MultEQ XT32!!!

Comment

• audioqueso
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by wettou
                      I don't understand why Marantz did not get Audyssey MultEQ XT32!!!
                      Cost? It would make since why the AV7005 is so cheap, relatively speaking.

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Yeah pretty disappointing about the MultEQ XT32, there are similar priced offerings from Denon and Onkyo that have it. They may be a bit more but I think it would of been worth it.

More then likely they are saving it for a higher end model.

Comment

• bmowis
                          • Oct 2006

The MultEQ XT technology that comes with the unit works just great - everybody (including myself) I've read about seems satisfied so far with its room correction ability. I look at it this way: What really would have been gained, audibly, if the unit used XT32? I think that Marantz was looking for a feature sub-set that would have the greatest impact on sound and the smallest impact on your wallet. XT32 simply didn't make the cut.

Just my opinion. This Marantz has already made my HT room come alive over and above what my Onkyo Pro was doing. I don't miss 32-bit MultEQ at all.

Comment

• alebonau
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Oct 2005

Don't know what it is but marantz always seems a step behind on audyssey. Blink

No dsd seems a strange omission.

Look the marantz units are in a huge way based on the denons, was guy looking at user manuals of the 7005 avr and denon 4311 and struggling tom pick a difference. Even a manuals are like a cut and paste. So a bit sup rising they haven't endowed the marantz the same as denon. Unless they're trying to differentiate by lack of features in one vs the other ?

Ps cheaper than 8003, so no doubt be a 8005. But styling of the 05 series a bit naf, perhaps something get used to who knows ?
                            "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• Hdale85
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

Actually I believe the 7005 is an amp-less version of the 4310.

Comment

• bmowis
                                • Oct 2006

By the way, I'm wondering if it is the lack of a toroidal power supply that is the cause of the ground-loop sensitivity in this unit? Would that make any sense?

Also, the 7005 only has a two-prong power cable. There is no ground prong, which seemed odd to me for serious audio-grade equipment. Wonder why they chose to do this?

Comment

• Hdale85
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2006

Actually lots of audio equipment has no ground prong to try and keep ground loop issues at bay.

Comment

• audioqueso
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Dougie085
                                    Actually lots of audio equipment has no ground prong to try and keep ground loop issues at bay.
                                    Exactly.
                                    Most Marantz components are this way as well.

Comment

• audioqueso
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Dougie085
                                      Actually I believe the 7005 is an amp-less version of the 4310.
                                      Maybe.

Actually, I just got off the phone with talking with Marantz Japan HQ to find out the difference between the AV7005 and the AV receiver version, SR7005.

Answer: Basically, the internal amps and balanced circuitry.

I asked about the DACs, both the same.
                                      Processors, both the same.
                                      Power circuitry, both the same. Except that the AV7005 consumes less power since there is no internal amp.

So I presented a scenerio:

Me - "So let's say I buy an AV7005 and MM7055 (Marantz' power amp) combo. So would that combo compared to an SR7005+MM7055 sound the same?"
                                      Marantz - "No. The SR7005 does not have a balance circuitry."
                                      Me - "Right, I understand that part. But what if I compared connected the AV7005 to the MM7055 using the unbalanced RCA? Would that sound the same?"
                                      Marantz - "No."
                                      Me - "Why?"
                                      Marantz - "Because even though the internal components are the same (DACs, power circuitry, etc), the AV7005's circuitry is a much cleaner path compared to the SR7005. The exclusion of the internal power amp, along with the extra isolation in the AV7005, will output a much cleaner signal compared to the SR7005.
                                      Me - "Thank you very much."
                                      Marantz - "You're welcome. I hope you can visit a dealer close to you soon so that you can compare the two and hear for yourself."
                                      Me - "Thank you."

Comment

• audioqueso
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Nov 2004

I forgot to add.
                                        Marantz even said the two are essentially the same exact components, minus the internal amp of the SR7005 and AV7005's balance circuitry and the extra care in the signal path.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Jan 2006

Yes having no internal amps does clean things up quite a bit.

Comment

• TEK
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Oct 2002

So the question is, how big is the actual difference then.

I'm wondering about bying either a AV7005 or a SR7005.
                                            I can by the AV7005 and use my existing 5 channel pre-amp for all channels.
                                            Or, I can by the SR7005 and use my existing 5 channel pre-amp in to channel mode, and the internal amps for driving the cente and sorround channels.

I kindof need that extra juice for my mains (B&W803), but at the same time. I do not want to miss out a lot on the quality.

BTW: I guess thats why they rate SN to 105 on AV7005 vs 96 on SR7005..
                                            -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• whoaru99
                                              • Jul 2004

I've had the AV7005 for about 3 weeks now in place of my Anthem AVM 20. They each have features the other doesn't. I bought the 7005 to get into HDMI and Audyssey and the price sucked me in. The Anthem was a very fine unit but I just couldn't see spending nearly five times more money on a pre/pro again. Hopefully, the 7005 will give me as many trouble-free years as I got out of the Anthem.

In terms of sound quality, I have not done a direct A/B comparison between AVM 20 and AV7005. None the less, I'm pleased with what I hear from the 7005, and HDMI has made my setup much more user-friendly.

I did initially have ground loop hum but completely eliminated it by lifting the shields on the balanced interconnects at the amplifier ends.

Won't mention the specifics as most forums don't like prices other than MSRP, but there are (or were?) good prices to be had on these units from authorized dealers.
                                              There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• whoaru99
                                                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by bmowis
                                                By the way, I'm wondering if it is the lack of a toroidal power supply that is the cause of the ground-loop sensitivity in this unit? Would that make any sense?
                                                I don't know any reason why a toroidal transfomer, or lack thereof, would have any forbearance on ground loop hum.
                                                There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"