X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gtopaul
    • Jun 2010

No color after DVD Player Swap

My home theater setup has a Sharp Aquus 1080 flat screen hooked up to a B&K AVR317 receiver and Rotel DV-1092 DVD Player. I was using the S-Video connection between all the components since the B&K doesn't have HDMI. Everything was working fine until I change the DVD player to an Arcam DV-79 today. I couldn't even get the setup screen for the Arcam to display until I changed all the cables to component cables instead of S-video. Once I did that I got the Arcam setup screen to display and went through the setup procedure. I can play a DVD movie now and get picture and sound but no color. Great black & white picture by the way. Double checked all the connectors, reset all the units. still no color. What have I missed?

Thanks.

Paul
  • gtopaul
    • Jun 2010

Ran a S-video cable directly from the DVD player to the flat screen by passing the receiver, no picture at all. Thinking about running an HDMI cable from the DVD player to the flat screen to see if that work will get me color. No response from Arcam after sending them an email four days ago.

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

Usually no color on S-video means a bad cable, or bent pin. No picture at all on S-video can also be caused by this (depending on which pin it is). Try another S-video cable.

On component video, if you don't get color, you're only passing the Y signal, not the Pr or Pb. If just one of the color-difference signals is missing (Pr or Pb), you'll get weird colors (green or purple faces).

Some dvd players have a switch on back to select component or S-video output, if it's set incorrectly, you'll have issues such as this. Also check the player's menus, there could be a setting there. Also, if the player is PAL and you're hooking it to an NTSC TV you won't get color.

Try HDMI, that should get you color, unless the dvd player is seriously broken.

Comment

• gtopaul
        • Jun 2010

Fixed it! The problem was the color setting on the tv. I swapped input cables around to put the cable/dvr signal into the component video input and got black & white from the tv signal so figured the tv wasn't adjusting for color properly on the incoming component signal. The color setting was not centered in the color scale on the tv setup menu. I centered it and immediately got color. Funny that I was getting tv color with that setting but not component video color. What a waste of a week. Thanks for the help.

Paul

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"