X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spykids777
    • Dec 2010

Recommendation on Preamp

Hi,

I currently have 803 Diamond speakers with JL Audio Fathom 113 Sub. I am waiting for my Classe 5300 Amp to come in from being backordered. Currently I am using the Denon 5308CI preamp/processor. I was looking at the Classe SSP 800 which woud be a wonderful combination with my Amp but I have about 70% HT and 30% Audio listening. Hence Video processing including upscaling is very important. Currently the Denon is able to upscale everything into 1080p and does a very good job for display on my 60inch Kuro Elite. From what I have read about SSP 800 the Video processing is not the best. Any recommendation as to something else which would give me the SSP sound quality with good Video processing - or am I expecting too much or should I wait on the pre-amp maybe till Classe comes out with a preamp with better Video processor including HDMI 1.4? Any ideas? How about the Denon AVP-A1HDCI Pre-Amp - use that for the Video processing and use the Classe 5300 Amp for the Audio part? Or should I sit tight with the Denon 5308CI?

Thanks
  • Txgrizzly
    • Jun 2009

i am looking for a pre myself as i just bought the Emotiva UPA-7 and am thinking of going with their UMC-1 to go with it but would like to hear from people about the video thru it before pulling the trigger.

Comment

• stuofsci02
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2009

spykids777,

At the level of equipment you are talking about, I would simply scrap the idea of doing video processing in the pre-pro.. Most high end audio companies are giving up on the pre/pro route since the protocols change so often... This week it is HDMI 1.4 and DTS/Dolby True HD Master Audio decoding. What will it be next week?

IMO (and I am sure others will disagree), it is a great option to simply plug straight to your TV with the HDMI from the Blu-Ray or DVR etc. Then get a good pure analog pre-amp with HT bypass that you can use for stereo listening. Then for movies/TV the options are huge for Pre/Pro and you won't need to spend a fortune (maybe something like the new Marantz pre/pro etc.). This may actually be better for movies and TV...

A Harmony Remote can be used to make sure everything switches with the press of a button.

I think the only person this does not work well for are those who listen to a lot of Multichannel music SACD/DVD-A since you would then be using the Pre/Pro for that, but even then it can still be quite fantastic.

Cheers,

Stu
      Main System:
      B&W 801D
      Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
      Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
      Oppo BDP-105
      Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
      B&W CM7
      Emotiva UMC-1
      Emotiva UPA-2
      Oppo BDP-83SE
      Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Agreed. No need for "video processing" in today's pre-pros, other than maybe upconverting/transcoding a standard-def video input, like an old school DVD player. That feature's pretty common now. Biggest thing you need is video SWITCHING capability, and the pre-pro's ability to do passthrough of that video. Of course, every time a new spec comes out, the new unit has to be certified as to whether it can pass all the features of the spec, like enhanced color space.

On pre-pros, the biggest thing is the AUDIO, being able to decode the audio stream that is fed to it, especially high res over HDMI 1.3 or higher.

I do use my pre-pro for ALL audio sources, including fine 2-channel and even multichannel SACD and DVD-A. Works great, but then again, I've got a great pre-pro. (Parasound Halo C1)
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Theresa
          • Jul 2010

I have the Emo UMC-1 and the video processing is very good. I do most video processing with my AMD/ATI video card but I think the processing is just as good with the Emo. Sound with the Emo is better than many other pre-pros and high end receivers or so I'm told since I was using an old Yamaha until I got it and it had no real video processing and its highest res was sd.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"