X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Awp666
    • May 2010

Need help with 1st system

ive found the set of speakers i want but now i just need help finding the right reciever for my speakers and my needs.

Home Audio Products for Every Lifestyle, Application & Budget. Since 1946, no compromises in Legendary Sound. Free Shipping on All Online Orders in the US.

i found a mom and pop store near me so ima go check it out hopefully tuesday or wednesday.

now the only thing i will need help with is what type of reciever will power these speakers? i noticed each speaker in the set had different wattage ratings so that kinda threw me for a loop if ya know what i mean.

i would still like th e reciver to have as many inputs and outputs as possible and to have the most HDMI ports as possible 3-4 would be ideal.

the specs on the speakers are as follows.

RB-10 Bookshelf Speakers POWER HANDLING 50 w max continuous (200 w peak) < i assume thats for one speaker so x that by 2.

RC-10 Center Speaker POWER HANDLING 75 w (300 w peak)

RPW-10 Subwoofer AMPLIFIER POWER FTC Rated Power: 200 watts continuous @ <2% THD / Dynamic Power*: 420 watts

RS-10 Surround Speaker POWER HANDLING 50 w (200 w peak) x2

would i need to buy an amp aswell as a reciever to power this system or will a reciever do just fine?

i was also recomeded an Onkyo reciever one with like 350w and 65w per channel but for somereason i have a hard time believing it would have enough power to power this system. i also found a 450w sony with like 90w per channel for a reasonable price. so any info would help
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Pick GOOD Onkyo over Sony. And , yes , 65 wpc will make Klipsch speakers ROAR. Klipsch is notorious for letting lightly powered amps rip the volume knob to shreds. There is a reason vintage tube guys love Klipsch speakers. IMO , they actually perform better with CLEAN current regardless of watts.
    OK , Sony guys-fire away.
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Alaric
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

BTW , I have an Onkyo receiver rated @ 110 wpc. All I use it for is HT and I don't care about HT. So , I offer the 'grain of salt'.
      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
      Schiit Modi 3
      Marantz CD5005
      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Awp666
        • May 2010

So you recomend the onkyo too? ok just wanted to get a 2nd opinion as i said im pretty noobish when it comes to this stuff :P

Comment

• Awp666
          • May 2010

Which onkyo out of these would you recommend for me?

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
            • Oct 2009

Even the smallest in the Klipsch line is 90db/watt efficiency so you don't need a lot of power to make these do everything you need them to do. Recommend you focus on the features of the receivers. I will also recommend Onkyo receivers over the Sony stuff. I would stretch the budget a bit and get the TX-SR608 for all the features it has. A bargain deal on an older Yamaha receiver is also a second option. Look at the RX-V663 or 863. Both are pretty awesome receivers for the money. Look on Amazon to get the best prices.
            "You get what you Inspect, not what you Expect"
            -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• Awp666
              • May 2010

Whats the price range on the 608? would it be worth it for the xtra $? what features does it have that the 307 dosent have, since the 307 will power the speakers just fine dont want to spend the xtra $ if i dont really have to.

espcially because im already over my budget that i set for myself

EDIT: thats a 7.2 reciever and for 500 bucks i dont really see the difference or the need for it in my setup when the 307 would fit the bill, any other suggestions?

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
                • Oct 2009

HDMI 1.4 will work with upcoming 3d stuff and it will allow you room to grow your system.
                -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                  • Sep 2009

Sony isn't in the same class as anything. Seriously, I've never had the displeasure of using such horrible equipment as a Sony receiver in my life. Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha are definitely a cut above and will do the job if you don't want to spend the big dollars for something like NAD.
                  -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
                    • Oct 2009

Have you considered the used market as well. If your TV has HDMI inputs(enough of them) you could buy a REALLY nice receiver that doesn't support HDMI, but the sound would be REALLY good. The only negatives to this are running some extra Toslink or RCA cables and you wouldn't get the upconversion to 1080P to the TV for some older sources, but realistically if you are into this for as much money as you are you are probably using a DVR or Cable Box putting out 1080i and a BluRay player putting out 1080P as your main sources anyway.

Check out Audigon.com
                    -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• Alaric
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Awp666

Oops. Sorry I haven't checked back on this thread. I'm a fan of bigger is better with watts , but a 15 wpc amp will power almost any Klipsch speaker to very loud levels. I also agree with looking into Yamaha and checking the used market. While I avoid fleabay anymore , Audiogon has been great to me. My least favorite thing about Onkyo , (and Integra!) is the Home Depot-sourced binding posts. I have been really impressed with the AM and FM receiver sections , though. If you ever fire up the radio on the HT while puttering around the house the Onkyo stuff is very nice. My receiver is old(er) and pretty low end , with no HDMI at all , but my TV is 1080i and my cable box doesn't have HDMI out anyway. I run the HDMI from the DVD player to the TV and component from the cable box to the TV. Digital audio from DVD and cable box to receiver and I'm done.
                      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                      Schiit Modi 3
                      Marantz CD5005
                      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"