X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sdavis76
    • Oct 2009

amp?

i would like to purchace an sub amp for an up coming build an ive never thought about a pro audio amp like gsc or Behringer for the money it really seems like a great value over your more typical home amps. do you lose any quality of sound? are the fans really that loud over a "home" amp? thanks ahead for your input.
  • Glen B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jul 2004

Pro amps are fine for use driving a sub. You could use a plate amp instead. Forum sponsor Parts Express has a good selection of subwoofer plate amps. I used one for years in a DIY sub.

Comment

• sdavis76
      • Oct 2009

so i wouldnt gain much by going to a pro amp over a plate dayton or bash?

Comment

• Glen B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2004

Unless your sub requires an amount of power greater than 1,000 watts, IMO I see no advantage to using an external pro amp. The plate amp has advantages over the external amp that include, no wiring to the sub, built-in adjustable crossover, auto on/off, and no potential cooling fan noise to worry about. Depending on your subwoofer needs, you may find the Dayton Titanic subwoofer kits to be an excellent value if you're looking to build a sub. I'm running a 12" Dayton with my HT system.

Comment

• kgveteran
          • Oct 2005

Ditto with Glen. Unless you are building a real deep bass multiple driver, difficult load monster, a plate amp is a no brainer.

If you plan on doing this build, post some picks and plans for your build. If this is your first build we could assist if we see the need to.

Enjoy the build.... KG
          Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !

Comment

• sdavis76
            • Oct 2009

ok thanks as soon as i get some ideas i will do just that. thanks so much!

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"