X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tom314159
    • Jul 2008

Problems Finding a DVR

Greetings,

I am a bit frustrated after my initial attempts to find a digital video recorder. I envisioned a device that would:
    1. Record digital television off the air by means of an internal digital tuner
    2. Record to a hard disk drive so I can erase the recording after watching it

the two functions above would simply replace an old VHS deck and a single cassette that I have been using for years. The functions below would be nice additions, if I can get them:

3. The option of burning a DVD from the internal hard drive if I want to save a program.
    4. Let me watch a playback while recording another program.

These functions are usually associated with “Tivo”. The Tivo website does not describe any product without an associated monthly fee (for what?)

I asked a local store, and they said that their Tivo box would record off the air, but only if I had a separate converter box. I asked how the Tivo would tell the converter box which channel to record, and got no answer. I then asked what the monthly fee was for if I was recording off the air, and got no answer other than I would have to pay it.

Another store told me that an LG RC897T would do all that I wanted. On the LG website, the product description does not mention an internal hard drive. I don’t want to burn DVDs for one-time viewing.

Is it now assumed that everyone has cable? If so, a lot of money could be saved by turning off the TV transmitters and re-allocating the spectrum. Or perhaps this is a way to force people to subscribe to a cable provider (by making sure that there is no reasonable way to digitally save off-air programming)?

I am frustrated that product descriptions on the websites do not accurately and completely describe the product functionality. I have to wade through a lot of advertising to infer what each device I look at actually _does_.

I'd like to find the following:
    “This device has a built-in digital tuner, with an f-type connector for the antenna. This recording device may be programmed to record will record up to X hours on an internal hard disk drive. This device has external video and audio inputs (formats?) This device has video and audio outputs (formats?)

Does anyone know of an off-air digital recorder?

Of course, if you know of good links that speak to these issues, just let me know!

Thanks,

Tom
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Here you go:

Dish network's DTVpal DVR. No fees, records 150 hours SD, and/or 30 hours HD. Full set of outputs HD and SD. Dual tuners that can record two things at once.

It's sold out right now on their website, but Sears might have some in stock.

As far as Tivo fees, you are paying for very accurate guide data and their software. With the DTVpal, you only have options like your VCR does (record once, daily, once a week, etc).

IE:
    The DTVPal DVR lacks many features found on subscription-based TiVo, DirecTV, and Dish Network satellite DVRs. Features absent from the product include comprehensive program information on all channels, conflict management, dual channel buffers, external storage expansion, multi-room viewing, remote scheduling via web and mobile phone, picture-in-picture, picture-in-guide, guide filters / favorites, and the ability to transfer/offload recordings. Most notably, the DTVPal DVR relies on time-based recording rather than name-based recording; it does not know when a scheduled program has changed its day, time, or duration. The DTVPal DVR lacks the ability to record only new episodes and ignore repeats.
    The DTVpal is $299. The TIVO HD with lifetime service is $699.

If you want to replace the VCR and have just about the same functions but a hard-drive instead of a tape, the DTVpal is for you.

Kevin D.

Comment

• tom314159
      • Jul 2008

thanks

thanks, Kevin!

I don't know if I would even want to archive to DVD right now, so the DTVpal looks great!

Tom

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Let me know how it works out. You might want to verify that your local CBS or PBS station broadcasts the TVGUIDE data that the DTVPal uses. If not the guide would only rely on PSIP data, which isn't always accurate. You could certainly still setup manual timers with no problems.

RabbitEars, where you can learn all about local, over-the-air TV channels.

Kevin D.

Comment

• kpodolski
          • Jun 2006

How about this: http://www.walmart.com/Magnavox-160G...er/ip/10104532

I bought one a few months ago and am really enjoying it. It has a HD tuner but it pulls everything down to 480p. But, it still looks good to me. It's not perfect but overall I'm happy with the purchase.

The second place winner is the first place loser.

An argument with reality is one you'll never win.

If you are offended, you are complicit in the outrage.

It's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

"Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser." Gen. Patton

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"