X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul Ebert
    • May 2004

Recommendations for inexpensive 5.1 electronics

I'm putting together our first ht system. We really aren't all that into it - the wife and I rarely watch TV at all, though I'd like to get more into movies. I will be building the speakers. The room is quite small (11 by 14 with one wall opening into a larger room) and in my basement.

The speakers will include Dayton reference drivers pretty much throughout, primarily RS180s for midbass and RS28s for tweeters. Sub will be a RSS315HO with a passive radiator. The center will be a 3-way with two RS180s, a RS100 and some small tweeter (ND28F?).

I have an elcheapo Sony DVD player which is currently perfectly adequate. I'm currently using an old 32" CRT. I'd like to replace that with a same size LCD, but that will probably have to wait until the economy improves.

My budget for electronics is a few hundred dollars. I'm very open to purchasing used (anyone have a cheap receiver collecting dust?). What gear should I consider?
  • keltor
    • Jun 2009

I'd go with the Onkyo TX-SR307. It can be had for $180 and sometimes even lower if there's an electronics sale.

It's probably a good place to start. The Sony STR-DH700 is similar for $220 and the Yamaha RX-V365BL is $230.

There are entry-level receivers pretty much available from all the manufacturers around this same price and they have vary little to differentiate themselves other than build quality and design.

Personally I'm preferable to the Onkyo due to my personal experiences with their build quality.

Comment

• krips
      • Sep 2007

I beleive onkyo usually is as good if not better than the competition for features/$. Try browsing audiogon to look for some used receiver deals.
      Sharp LC-42D64U
      TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• Johnloudb
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2007

I agree with you all, that Onkyo is very good for the money. I think they sell refurbished home theater recievers on there website, at a discount as well, with minimal warranty as well, I think.

Okay, just checked, here is the link:

John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"