X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Exocer
    • Feb 2006

Inexpensive crossover mounting?

Hey, I've ordered my BOM and realized I have nothing to actually mount the caps,resistors,and inductors on. What would be the best inexpensive material to mount the electronics on? Also, since I do not own a glue gun, how can I go about securely mounting the crossover components to their boards?
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Buy a hot glue gun, they're not very expensive.

Use 1/4" Masonite to mount the components on.....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Exocer
      • Feb 2006

wow that was fast! thanks.

Comment

• Amphiprion
        • Apr 2006

I use 1/4" HDF which I think is the same thing as masonite. I use hot glue to mount the inductors and resistors, and liquid nails for small projects to mount the caps (since the caps temp ratings are lower than what the hot melt glue comes out at). This has always worked well for me. Should you need to change something the resistors and inductors are salvageable, they pop off with a good solid application of force, but the caps once glued are there. Removing them will destroy them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	newHDSxover.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	496.0 KB
ID:	944041
        Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 08:59 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Amphiprion
          • Apr 2006

oops sorry for image size

Comment

• Paul H
            • Feb 2004

Pegboard and plastic electrical ties work well also - one advantage being if you need to change something the tie can be snipped and components can be removed without damage.

Paul

Comment

• Exocer
              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Paul H
              Pegboard and plastic electrical ties work well also - one advantage being if you need to change something the tie can be snipped and components can be removed without damage.

Paul
              Paul, I'd like to go this route if possible. What I don't understand is how you can just snip the zip-tie and replace it if something needs upgrading/replaced, the Pegboard is glued to the enclosure right? Thanks.

Speakerguy, I never thought to go with 1/4" hdf, thanks for that idea.

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

I've used hot glue for 20yrs. Much easier and quicker than drilling holes and using zip-ties.

If you use just a small amount it peels off the components easily and there are no bumps on the bottom of the board to make mounting it in the speaker a hassle.

Masonite has a slicker surface so it's easier to peel off the hot glue.

After the XO is tested then apply more hot glue.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Paul H
                  • Feb 2004

Drilling? - That pegboard I had kicking around was already full of holes

I mounted the pegboard to the enclosure with wood screws, with rubber washers between the enclosure and the pegboard so I could fasten it firmly without concern for vibration..

Again note I had all this stuff around the shop - there's certainly nothing wrong with the hot glue approach.

Comment

• David G
                    • Jan 2005

I used 3mm (1/8") mdf , drilled holes and used cable ties.
                    To mount the crossover internally, velcro works a treat.

Comment

• chasw98
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

Here is what I built tonight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3760.webp
Views:	8
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	944042
                      Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 09:00 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"