X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • artv4
    • Jun 2007

Mac Mini Movie Server

hi!!!!! i am wondering if anyone has converted their mac mini into a movie server? wondering what programs are being utilized for movie backup. thanks!!! :roll:
    GO Revel!!!!! (powered by ;x( Anthem)
  • bbecker1983
    • Feb 2009

I would use the Mac Mini as the transport in the HT and then build an actual Server Box.

Dougie85's server is wicked sweet, doesn't break the wallet much either. His setup can be expanded to a total of 20TB's of data. Thats a total of 1333 Movies in 1080p 15GB .mkv format.... Or even 1666 movies in 1080p 9GB .mkv files across 15TB's with 5TB reserved for DVD quality rips and music.

LOL
    Lots to work with if you go that route. :T

Comment

• artv4
      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by bbecker1983
      I would use the Mac Mini as the transport in the HT and then build an actual Server Box.

Dougie85's server is wicked sweet, doesn't break the wallet much either. His setup can be expanded to a total of 20TB's of data. Thats a total of 1333 Movies in 1080p 15GB .mkv format.... Or even 1666 movies in 1080p 9GB .mkv files across 15TB's with 5TB reserved for DVD quality rips and music.

LOL
      Lots to work with if you go that route. :T
      i actually purchased Dougie85's mac mini lol. i converted it into my movie server. i also purchased a iomege minimax 1tb drive to mate with the mac mini. just awesome, it looks just like the mac mini!!!! what programs are you using to back up your movies?

Comment

• bbecker1983
        • Feb 2009

There are good freeware tools out there, using the .mkv format is by far the best. Google search DVD2MKV you will find all the tools and DIY guides ya need.

Comment

• artv4
          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by bbecker1983
          There are good freeware tools out there, using the .mkv format is by far the best. Google search DVD2MKV you will find all the tools and DIY guides ya need.
          at the moment i am using mactheripper. it works great. though, there are times when certain movies will not play. probably a copy protection it can't break :rofl: . i figured if i purchased a ripping program that it would solve this, but not sure.....

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"