X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • seanski
    • Jan 2009

receiver amp question

im looking at this reciever, and it is rated at 5x125w. in the manual, it says for stereo:
    • Power output, stereo mode, 6 Ω, THD 0.7%, 40 Hz~20 kHz ........................................2 100 W

for 5.1, it says this:
    • Surround mode, only channel driven
    Front power output, 6 Ω, 1 kHz, THD 0.7 % .................................................. .............125 W+125 W
    Center power output, 6 Ω, 1 kHz, THD 0.7 % .................................................. .............125 W
    Rear power output, 6 Ω, 1 kHz, THD 0.7 % .................................................. .............125 W+125 W

what does "only channel driven" wattage mean?
    will all 5 channels push 125 watts? or is it just a clever way of getting around it? and also, for stereo it says 40~20kHz, and for surround it only says 1kHz. what is the difference there?

sorry im such a n00b :P

thanks in advance
    -Sean Sliwinski
    1st year Audio Production/Technology major @ Michigan Technological University
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Yes, it's a clever way of getting around it, as you stated. Marketing mumbo jumbo.

Basically it's easier for an amp/power supply do drive one channel at a given wattage then say five at the same wattage. It's also easier to drive that wattage a 1kHz than be able to drive a full range signal (particularly lower Hz signals as they require more power than higher Hz signals). So no, you will not see 125W X 5 ch at full range. You'll probably be lucky to get 1/3 that. That said, if you have relatively efficient speakers, that receiver may work and sound perfectly nice. But as you get in to better higher end gear they do tend to be rated full range with all channels driven.
    Jason

Comment

• seanski
      • Jan 2009

thanks!

thats kinda what i figured though...

i am looking for a budget a/v receiver (although i could really care less about the video part)

all i really need is 2x100w, but i really want one with a pre-out for a powered woofer.

i dont really care about lots of fancy options and features, i just want something that is solid and reliable and does what i need it to.

i could use this one for that because it does push 100 watts out both front channels, and it has a pre-out for the sub, but i want some other options.

if anyone has any advice on some good options i am all ears.

unfortunately, my price range is about $150... so that really limits me

thanks in advance
      -Sean Sliwinski

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

You're not likely to get much above 30-40WPC of real power in that price range unfortunately unless you can find a deal on something used. Realistically though most relatively efficient speakers will run ok in a small/mid sized room with 40-75W. For example the Rotel 1058/1550 receivers (at more than 10X your budget) are "only" rated at 75WPC and IMO have more real power and will likely sound better than most mass market brands rated at 125WPC or more.

As for recommendations, I really like Onkyo's lower-mid line but even the 606 is about 2.5X your budget. My suggestion is to save up a bit longer and get something along those lines. If you desire more power you could even move up to the 706 which itself is rated 10WPC higher than the 606 but also has pre-outs to add an external amplifier later if you crave more power.
        Jason

Comment

• Glen B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jul 2004

Sean,
          Your best bet near your price range is probably the Onkyo TX-8555 stereo receiver. It delivers 100W x 2, is 4-ohm capable, and has a subwoofer output. It is available for $190.00 as factory reconditioned stock from Accessories4Less.

Factory reconditioned means the item was returned for any one of a number of reasons, none of which may necessarily involve operational reliability. Such products are checked out at the factory, serviced or cleaned if necessary, certified as operating to spec, and made available for resale. Factory reconditioned products almost always come with manufacturer warranty.

Glen

Comment

• seanski
            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Glen B
            Sean,
            Your best bet near your price range is probably the Onkyo TX-8555 stereo receiver. It delivers 100W x 2, is 4-ohm capable, and has a subwoofer output. It is available for $190.00 as factory reconditioned stock from Accessories4Less.

Factory reconditioned means the item was returned for any one of a number of reasons, none of which may necessarily involve operational reliability. Such products are checked out at the factory, serviced or cleaned if necessary, certified as operating to spec, and made available for resale. Factory reconditioned products almost always come with manufacturer warranty.

Glen
            nice! thanks!

thats something to defenitely consider!
            -Sean Sliwinski

Comment

• Alaric
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

Price drop! Now $149.99. http://www.accessories4less.com/make...h-BLACK/1.html

Also , the Onkyos don't sound bad at all , better than their price point.
              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
              Schiit Modi 3
              Marantz CD5005
              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Glen B
                Super Senior Member
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Alaric
                Price drop! Now $149.99. http://www.accessories4less.com/make...h-BLACK/1.html

Also , the Onkyos don't sound bad at all , better than their price point.
                No price drop, its a different receiver. The TX-8522 does not have the subwoofer preout he wants. The TX-8555 does.

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Alaric
                  P Also , the Onkyos don't sound bad at all , better than their price point.
                  I'll second that, they make better sounding equipment than their price points suggest.

I still vote for saving longer and getting a more fully featured unit that will last you longer if it all possible though. You'll thank me in the long run but I know... money doesn't grow on trees, especially now.
                  Jason

Comment

• seanski
                    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by aud19
                    I'll second that, they make better sounding equipment than their price points suggest.

I still vote for saving longer and getting a more fully featured unit that will last you longer if it all possible though. You'll thank me in the long run but I know... money doesn't grow on trees, especially now.
                    yeah, im looking at a couple higher end pioneer units too. i guess i will have to make a decision sometime, but it wont be soon because i dont have enough money for anything right now really. its going to have to wait until summer.
                    -Sean Sliwinski

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"