X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Race Car Driver
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Blu-Ray too good?

So I have had BR for about a year and its amazing. However just last week I finally upgraded to a 52" 1080P 120hz Sony LCD.

The quality almost seems TOOO good at times. Kinda creepy. My gf and 2 of my buddies have said the exact same thing I was thinking. Its almost too good where it looks fake, or where scenes of a movie look too much like a movie set.

I have watched Hulk, Transformers, Ironman, The Dark Knight and Sweeny Todd since last week all on BR.

I dont know if I am complaining... or what... but.. the detail is simply amazing.. is it too amazing for its own good? 8O
    B&W
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
    So I have had BR for about a year and its amazing. However just last week I finally upgraded to a 52" 1080P 120hz Sony LCD.

The quality almost seems TOOO good at times. Kinda creepy. My gf and 2 of my buddies have said the exact same thing I was thinking. Its almost too good where it looks fake, or where scenes of a movie look too much like a movie set.

I have watched Hulk, Transformers, Ironman, The Dark Knight and Sweeny Todd since last week all on BR.

I dont know if I am complaining... or what... but.. the detail is simply amazing.. is it too amazing for its own good? 8O
    what you are seeing is the effects of the 120hz. I saw this effect a 4 years ago on a friends 32" B&O CRT. The effect is amazing. You feel like you are on the set of the movie, and at times it looks fake. You almost feel like you are going to see some guy form the camera crew walk by holding a coffee.

The problem is what you are seeing is not the directors intent. turn off the 120hz and you will be left with a much more film like presentation with just better resolution.

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

I find 120hz best for TV viewing and what not. Movies I like the standard refresh rate.

Comment

• audioqueso
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

Ha ha ha... I bought the same Sony there Chris. Turn off that motion-smoothness. It's creepy, isnt it? I watched Ironman and Hulk with it on, and it was too weird. You have Off, Normal, and High. High really just messes up any action movie cause it looks like you're watching the movie as it's being filmed. Oh, I watched King Kong with it as well, and even though Kong was mostly CGI, it made it look like it was mechanical and on the set.

However, the motion smoothness works GREAT with concerts. I can not go back to watching concerts without it on because it feels like you're right there! Another movie that I have been meaning to buy on blu-ray just to test it out is Cloverfield. That kind of movie might look really good with it on.

Action movies, turn it off.
        Non-action, it's pretty cool with it on.
        B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

Huh, any well or professionally calibrated TV/Monitor should give you that effect. Heck I've seen that effect with SD TV on a properly calibrated CRT front projection system. It made the images stand out and have real depth to them.

Blu-Ray does look good, but I actually find myself wanting more clarity and can't wait for the future beyond 'HD' when they bump up the resolution more.
          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
          -Dan

Comment

• Race Car Driver
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by audioqueso
            Ha ha ha... I bought the same Sony there Chris. Turn off that motion-smoothness. It's creepy, isnt it? I watched Ironman and Hulk with it on, and it was too weird. You have Off, Normal, and High. High really just messes up any action movie cause it looks like you're watching the movie as it's being filmed. Oh, I watched King Kong with it as well, and even though Kong was mostly CGI, it made it look like it was mechanical and on the set.

However, the motion smoothness works GREAT with concerts. I can not go back to watching concerts without it on because it feels like you're right there! Another movie that I have been meaning to buy on blu-ray just to test it out is Cloverfield. That kind of movie might look really good with it on.

Action movies, turn it off.
            Non-action, it's pretty cool with it on.

Yea I gotta play around with it, was talking with a co worker today and he was mentioning how another co worker has it and likes it on high. Im gonna play with it tonight see what it does.

Very creepy stuff.
            B&W

Comment

• audioqueso
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by PewterTA
              Huh, any well or professionally calibrated TV/Monitor should give you that effect. Heck I've seen that effect with SD TV on a properly calibrated CRT front projection system. It made the images stand out and have real depth to them.
              I don't know. I've never seen that and I did have my previous Sony FPTV professional calibrated. It was nothing like this.

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

I'm a big beliver in the 120Hz technology. I hope that we're just in its infant stage, and that it is developed and matured. I started off with it on "high", but even more than the "super-fake" look it gives at times, I was bothered by the artifacts it creates during motion scenes. So now I use it on "low". I think if it's futher developed as a technology, it has a LOT of promise.
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

• audioqueso
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by audioqueso
                  I don't know. I've never seen that and I did have my previous Sony FPTV professional calibrated. It was nothing like this.
                  Correction... I just thought about it, and that was a RPTV.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

I turned off the 120 and its more "regular" on high its.. really... spooky! LOL.

Huh, wonder what it does without a 1080p source.
                    B&W

Comment

• Miyuki
                      • Nov 2008

Too good to be true!!!! ... thats mabye why "Titanic" or "Gladiator" never gets on Blue-Ray case of premature CGs. I have an issue when watching Japanese and Korean dramas where you can clearly see fake beard, hair and other makeups. Korean dramas really do closeups on faces and you can se EVERYTHNG! The movie industry has some homework to do from now on!
                      Miyuki
                      :brunette:

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

I've seen some Titanic footage in HD and it looked spectacular they really did an awesome job redoing it. Not sure if the whole movie will get it later though. I believe it was a WMVHD thing.

Comment

• Miyuki
                          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Dougie085
                          I've seen some Titanic footage in HD and it looked spectacular they really did an awesome job redoing it. Not sure if the whole movie will get it later though. I believe it was a WMVHD thing.
                          I have been longing for the HD version of the Gladiator and Titanic for so long... hope they will hurry up putting those on Blue-rays. Those movie makers lost the HDDVD format war rite!?
                          Miyuki
                          :brunette:

Comment

• PewterTA
                            • Nov 2004

I'm not saying you saw the detail that HD gives you. And from what I've heard from some people the "next gen" blows the current HD away...

But what I'm saying is a properly set up monitor (whatever the style) should still give you that depth of image and start to trick the senses that you aren't looking at a flat image. HD (and the future) just help that whole sensation even more with the resolution they can give you.

Yeah and Blu-Ray won the worst tech of 2008. lol Claiming (and it's completely true) that the discs are too expensive and the players -- until recently -- are way to expensive also.

I personally sort of dislike older movies on blu-ray, especially those in the 90s and earlier as most (not all mind you) show the limitations of how they were filmed. I do agree I would love to see Gladiator re-done and I can't wait for LOTR trilogy to come out, the HD presentation I've seen of it was spectacular.
                            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                            -Dan

Comment

• Hdale85
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

Well the titanic thing I saw they went through and redid it so it looked great in HD. It was some sample clip I downloaded.

Comment

• Ovation
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Sep 2004

Casablanca, Mutiny on the Bounty and Grand Prix are among some of the best PQ I've seen from any era--I have them all on HD DVD but BD should provide the same quality. In fact, so far, the films that show the greatest improvement from SD DVD to BD/HD DVD have been older films. Recent ones on SD DVD often look quite good, and thus the improvement in PQ seems less evident. YMMV

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"