X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brian Kingsbury
    • Sep 2009

Madisound RBR Build

Seeing all the amazing build threads on here finally pushed me over the edge! I've never built any speakers (except a sub box for my car but.. that was almost too easy to count) but you guys all make it seem so easy so I figured why not? And I'm SO glad I did. I'd been researching for at least 3 months and decided I wanted to build something with scan-speak drivers based on their reputation as the best of the best. The problem was that I didn't have the money to put down on a full scan-speak 3way or 2.5 way like I wanted but when I saw the Madisound RBR price tag..... 5 minutes later my order was placed. It was really a no-brainer. I purchased the ported Madisound RBR kit with the premium crossovers. I think it came out to roughly $525 with crossover upgrades and enclosure accessories.

This is my first build and I was seriously lacking in the tool department: I had nothing but a circular saw, a jig saw and a drill - not even a work bench. Fortunately the people at my local orange box store were nice enough to cut down the 3/4" MDF panel ($25), although they weren't quite as accurate as I would have liked. A good router was the first necessity and I picked up a Hitachi MVC12 with the plunge and fixed bases for a reasonable price ($160) on Amazon. I'm quite pleased with the router, it's definitely a step up from some of the other less expensive routers. I also picked up the big jasper circle jig and the MLCS router bit set ($80) off Amazon. I bought six 24" bar clamps and 4 3" corner clamps ($200). For good measure I got a roll of bitumen with aluminum backing which I applied to inside walls/bracing ($20). The router, jig, clamp and other assorted things added up to as much as the kit but they'll last for a long time and will be put to good use :T

After a week or so of flush trimming pieces to their proper sizes (for my next build I'll definitely be buying a table saw), gluing, clamping, unclamping, gluing.. clamping....unclamping.... gluing........... I have a very large pile of saw dust and a pair of Madisound RBR. I wanted to get something that would come close to equaling the sound quality of my old Von Schwiekert VR4's that I had to give up when I lost my job. Without having them side-by-side it's hard to say which one sounds better but these RBR's sound absolutely fantastic. To even compare them to the VR4's should give you an idea of how good they sound.

So what's the sound like? Unfortunately I'm using some really bad source components right now but I'm still amazed at the depth, clarity and huge soundstage these speakers create. If you couldn't see them you'd think they were 3 times their size. The scan-speak midwoofer really sings and gives a great feeling of seperation between instruments. Listening to cymbal crashes and decays with the SB acoustics tweeter really gives a sense of realism and rhythm to the music. Others have mentioned it (including Jed's description on his website) but the bass that the 5.5" woofers can create is pretty surprising. It doesn't sound the same as larger woofers - there's less "impact" - but the bass is certainly as good as you will ever hear from a medium-sized 2-way speaker. These speakers will definitely be around for quite a while. ;x(
    ;x( We're not worthy! ;x(
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

Thanks for taking the time to write the review, Brian. I'm happy you are enjoying them!

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"