X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • btf1980
    • Aug 2007

Blu-ray Player benchmarks

Looks like the PS3 still smokes the standalones....

A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.
  • littlesaint
    • Jul 2007

Statistically yes, but I like to watch movies not read statistics.

In the real world, the difference between my PS3 and BD35 are not all that noticeable. Maybe if there was some really compelling BD-J where the PS3 could show off some processing power, but for just watching movies its advantages are marginal.
    Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

I don't really notice a difference between the PS3 and something like the BD-35 or S350.

Comment

• impala454
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2007

I can't speak for the BD35 or 55 as I don't own them, but my BD30 definitely has a "Disc Eject Time" much faster than 17 seconds. It's more like 5 seconds. I'm with Santino, I don't see any big deal with all these load times and such. If I'm going to sit down and watch a two hour long movie, I don't really care if it takes 30 seconds to load. Hell it takes me a lot longer than that to use the plumbing, grab a cold drink and a snack, and get all situated to watch one. Just seems silly that these numbers are considered a benchmark. Perhaps with the extra features, but for me personally I don't really care about those. What exactly do those numbers mean for the BD-J anyways? I realize it says the higher the number the better, but what is that number quantifying?
        -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

They don't seem to list noise there do they? That's the big reason I got rid of my PS3.

Comment

• Ken49r
            • Dec 2007

Some of them do take quite a while to load but as long as I don't fall asleep before the movie starts I guess it's OK.
            The PS3 being a processor is probably always going to be faster at most functions.

Do any of these BD players cost more than the PS3?

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Don't think so. BD-35 can be had for 250. Sony BDP-S350 is around 199ish. BDP-S550 399 msrp but not sure about street price.

Comment

• joetama
                • May 2006

Originally posted by Dougie085
                They don't seem to list noise there do they? That's the big reason I got rid of my PS3.
                Noise? Like audible sound the actual player makes?

My Rotel RDV-1092 makes about 2x the noise of my PS3, but it doesn't really make much difference because I can't really hear either of them when I'm listening/watching movies...

How close was your seating position to your player?
                -Joe

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

We probably sit 10 feet away. I had several different PS3's as for a while I was repairing and selling them and all of them were rather noisy when reading a disc. I even had a new on and it was the same thing. The BD-35 is much quieter and so is the S350.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

I own both the Panasonic BD30 and the BD35 and though the BD35 may be a tad faster loading BD Java discs, I really think this thing about slow load times is a lot of noise about nothing. Blu-ray adopters came from dvd where fast loading was a feature so I can see where some had a little difficulty adjusting. I certianly did. But eventually you accept this as a small price to pay for a gorgeous filmlike picture in your HT.
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• btf1980
                      • Aug 2007

I must have ADD, because one thing that drove me absolutely insane was the load times on the stand alone players i've owned. I had the Denon Transport, and some discs took up to 2 minutes. That is a lifetime when you have a bunch of kids eager to watch Cars.
                      A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• Ken49r
                        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Dougie085
                        I was watching "Blood Diamonds" last night and during quiet scenes I could here the fan from the PS3. I sit about 8 ft out from the unit.
                        It's not so loud that it bothers me enough to invest in a stand alone player until I see what OPPO puts out. Then I could possibly be persuaded and move the PS3 to bedroom duties.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

Yep, my biggest pet peave of the PS3 is the fan noise, it sure runs warm!
                          B&W

Comment

• Hdale85
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

Yeah one of the reasons I didn't like running folding at home is because it turned into a freaking hair dryer.

Comment

• David Meek
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Some benchmarks don't mean a lot to me and the load time is one. What does matter the most is the PQ, the SQ and the build quality. In those three categories my BDP-05FP leaves me grinning every time I put a disc in, plus it's quiet as a mouse. As far as load times go, as I understand it, loading the Java content of the discs (BD-J) is the culprit here and it may be some time before it gets much better, at least from reading up on some BD-specific sites. If someone with more specific knowledge would like to chime in. . . ?

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"