X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Sony BDP-S550 hook-up for best sound

Okay, I thought that buying a new blu ray player Sony BDP-S550 would simplify the hook up process etc, wow I was mistaken. I have an Integra Research RDC-7 that cannot process the new codecs but has analogue multichannel.

The Sony BDP-S550 can decode it all until I upgrade to the SSP-800 when it comes out with the new codecs! Maybe someone here could confirm my settings for me.

- Unit connected via the 5.1 analog connects

- HDMi Audio: Auto

- BD Audio setting: Direct

- Dolby Digital set to: Dolby Digital

- DTS set to: DTS

- Audio ATT off

If you have this unit have you made any other settings that may increase picture or sound quality?

Thanks for any responses!

Wise
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower
  • M.Roberts8
    • Jan 2006

I know this is an old one but I just stumbled across it.

That's how I used mine with my Denon AVR-3300 and as long as your receiver can do pcm you should be good.
    Also set the Audio priority(BDP-S550) to "multi-channel analog outputs"

The BD Audio has to be set to "direct" in order to get the TrueHD and DTS-HD MA tracks. You can check if you are getting them via the "display" button on the remote. It should tell you what track you are on in the upper right hand corner. Also some movies default to the core DD 5.1 Track so always check at the beginning of the movie.
    I had to mess around quite awhile in order to get the DTS-HD and the TrueHD to show up. It's definitely the BD Audio setting. If you switch it to mix you lose the DTS-HD and TrueHD tracks. Their description is vague IMO.

As far as the picture goes if you have HDMI and a 1080p display that's as good as it gets as far as I know.

Comment

• june
      • Feb 2005

wettou,

i have the sony hooked up to a rotel rsp-1066 via 6-channel analog outputs with the audio settings on multi.
      while a bluray is playing, press the display button & you'll see the sound playing.
      June
      "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

Originally posted by june
        wettou, i have the sony hooked up to a rotel rsp-1066 via 6-channel analog outputs with the audio settings on multi.
        while a bluray is playing, press the display button & you'll see the sound playing.
        Thanks I returned it and got the Panasonic for $200 :B I am waiting for the Oppo BDP83
        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• june
          • Feb 2005

wettou,

remember with the panny 55, you must press the audio button twice to get the new hd surround sounds.
          June
          "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• wettou
            Ultra Senior Member
            • May 2006

Originally posted by june
            wettou, remember with the panny 55, you must press the audio button twice to get the new hd surround sounds.
            Is it the same for the 35

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"