X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • indiancurry
    • Jun 2008

New to the world of audiophilia

I thought I can be an entry level audiophile (Whatever that means), but my system proved I am still on the idiot side

My system is below:
    AV Receiever - Yamaha RX V550
    Main Speakers - Paradigm Monitor 9
    Center - Paradigm
    Surrounds - Infiniti Renaissance 9 Towers (Temporary as I am moving out of Kuwait & my Paradigm surrounds are still packed)
    Sub - AR S10
    CD Player - Denon
    DVD Player - Panasonic
    Stereo Amp - Sansui AUX11

The Yamaha receiver is connected to a 5.1 speaker setup for the digital cable box & DVD player, while the CD player is connected to the Sansui amp.

At the moment, the amp does not have any dedicated speakers. I have to disconnect the Paradigm Fronts from the receiver & hook to the Sansui when I am in the mood for music.

Moving to my problem, I feel the receiver is under performing in audio for both TV signals as well as the DVD because I have to move the volume way upto 40 DB to hear anything clearly. The 40 DB volume level is good only when the receiver output is on the Direct Stereo mode (6 Channel stereo) but not the movie mode. If I watch a movie on the DVD, I have to still move the volume to 35 DB to hear the dialogues clearly on the Center (Is the Center underperforming?)

Now the final question, am I going wrong somewhere in the Yamaha receiver audio underperformance?
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Hmm that sounds strange shouldn't have to turn it up that loud.

Comment

• indiancurry
      • Jun 2008

Any suggestions?

Comment

• Glen B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2004

If the receiver is playing loud enough regardless of the volume control position then what is the problem ? It could be that the volume control potentiometer's taper is more effective in the latter part of its range and you don't really have a problem. The Paradigm speakers are of high sensitivity and should be an easy load for the Yamaha receiver. I do seem to recall this issue of volume control range being discussed here at HTG in the past. Volume control position has no effect on an amp or receiver's ability to play loud as long as the unit's output level is sufficient. The volume control of my Onkyo 5.1 receiver operates in a similar fashion. I usually have to turn the volume up to around the upper 2/3 of the control's range to obtain a sufficiently loud volume level with all sources. BTW, my main speakers are also Paradigms.

Comment

• impala454
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2007

Are you sure your volume level is not showing something like -35db? If that's the case just turn the volume up I'd say my typical DVD watching level is about -14db.
          -Chuck

Comment

• littlesaint
            • Jul 2007

My Yammy uses below 0 values for volume. I calibrate reference level to 0 and usually use -35dB for watching TV and -25db for movies. Music falls somewhere in between. Trim levels are all at 0 (the middle) or slightly below. I use an Emotiva power amp, but as I recall the trim levels weren't much different for the Yammy amp section.
            Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"