Tweeter in Center Channel Stopped Working . . .

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NMG
    • Oct 2004

Tweeter in Center Channel Stopped Working . . .

Okay, so we're watching a DVD last night and I'm thinking "man is this mix ever dull". We get to a point in the movie where I think I hear some extra HF detail and I replay it. Sure enough, the tweeter is kicking in off and on during that part. I think "hmmm, that's weird" and try out some music instead. The center channel is working just fine on that. I then put the movie back on and the center channel is working fine there as well and for the rest of the movie. I replayed earlier scenes and immediately noticed the mix was better there as well. In short, it's like nothing every happened.

Any idea what the heck happened? This is the first time I'ver ever experienced anything like that. Not sure if I need to take a closer look at something or just chalk it up to one of those things that happens, never to be duplicated again. A guy could go crazy trying to troubleshoot something like that, LOL
  • Xander
    • Dec 2007

What speaker is it? What are you using for decoding and for amplification?

Comment

• NMG
      • Oct 2004

Hi Xander. I think I found the problem. I took a closer look at the speaker connections and I am missing 2 of the collars that go on the speaker posts that tighten down on the jumper bars. The top posts had them but the bottom didn't.

I removed the jumpers to try out both the LF and HF speaker terminals and both worked fine when fed a signal. I also fiddled a bit while the jumpers were connected and I could get the tweeter and mid working, but I had to fiddle with the connection. I'm pretty sure that with the collars missing, the jumper bar isn't getting a good connection, meaning that the tweeter isn't getting a signal.

Now for the WEIRD part. I've never touched the terminals up until now, other than to connect the speaker wire. I'm thinking it came from the factory with the collars missng, but the bizarre thing is that it has worked fine for quite some time. Either someone stole two of my collars recently without me or my wife knowing and then strategically hooked everything back up before I could notice (yeah right!) or the connection was just good enough without the collars for a while and for some reason it's no longer cutting it.

I'll find some collars and re-attach everything. Worst case scenerio, I'll just have to bi-wire the center until I find some parts. I don't expect they'll be too difficult to find. It is strange though!

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"