X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Question re PS3 audio output

Does the PS3 have a 2-channel audio output function?

If so, what is the quality of that audio when playing the new hi-rez audio formats on a blu-ray disc, i.e. is it downgraded in any way?

I'm a 2-channel stereo enthusiast with an analogue 2-channel preamp and I'm wondering if it's possible for me to take full advantage of the new hi-rez audio formats on blu-ray.

Nigel.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Nigel-

Yes, you can get 2-channel output from the PS3. However, in general, with ANY player or receiver, you will need not just a digital connection like coax or optical, but actually HDMI to get the full HD-audio streams. Sorry!
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• cxc21
      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Chris D
      Nigel-

Yes, you can get 2-channel output from the PS3. However, in general, with ANY player or receiver, you will need not just a digital connection like coax or optical, but actually HDMI to get the full HD-audio streams. Sorry!
      Optical doesn't have the bandwidth for DTS Master audio. It will have to go over HDMI. The PS3 doesn't yet decode master audio, only puts out core 5.1. Although I saw in other posts that an update is coming. Other players from Sony and Panasonic with the ability to decode master audio are coming too. Denon has the only player which can do that today. Some processor and receivers like the Rotels have 2 channel switching. Not sure how that plays out with master audio though.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Exactly. Not just legacy digital connections, you need more--HDMI needed for full HD audio streams. Now, I suppose you could ask a player with decoding capability to decode and downmix to analog 2-channel, but... you're losing SO much of the quality and sound field.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• bigburner
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

So what we're saying here is that no blu-ray player will decode hi-rez formats and provide lossless PCM 5.1 or 7.1 or 2.0 output via analogue RCA ports? Is that correct?

Therefore people with older processors and receivers that cannot accept HDMI input will not be able to enjoy the new hi-rez audio formats. Is that correct?

I had assumed that blu-ray players would provide lossless PCM output (5.1 at least) via analogue RCA interconnects for people who do not have an HDMI processor or receiver.

Does anyone know why this feature isn't going to be provided by blu-ray manufacturers? Illegal copying can't be the issue as it's analogue. It seems illogical. Is there a technical reason?

Nigel.

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
            • Aug 2001

So what we're saying here is that no blu-ray player will decode hi-rez formats and provide lossless PCM 5.1 or 7.1 or 2.0 output via analogue RCA ports? Is that correct?
            No...you asked about the PS3. There are players with 5.1 analog outs (maybe 7.1). I think the new Panasonic BD50 (?) includes full DTS MA decoding and such connections.

I'm a 2-channel stereo enthusiast with an analogue 2-channel preamp and I'm wondering if it's possible for me to take full advantage of the new hi-rez audio formats on blu-ray.
            Any two-channel connection won't allow taking "full-advantage" of BD's audio formats as they can contain up to 7.1 channels.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

I own the Panasonic BD30 and it bitstreams but doesn't decode. The newer BD50 will decode internally for those who want to use Analog outputs.
              My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"