X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rompower
    • May 2008

Ps3 audio quality, even if it decodes HD codec

Hi there

Is there anyone out there that benchmark a standalone player and PS3 for audio quality?? I asked my dealer and says that a customer tried that PS3 and well, returned it since ps3 has poor audio component parts...

Anyone can comment/share?

Thanks

PS. Sorry for my english =)
  • littlesaint
    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by rompower
    Hi there

Is there anyone out there that benchmark a standalone player and PS3 for audio quality?? I asked my dealer and says that a customer tried that PS3 and well, returned it since ps3 has poor audio component parts...

Anyone can comment/share?

Thanks

PS. Sorry for my english =)
    Nothing wrong with the PS3 as far as HD audio and Blu-ray goes. For CD or SACD, I prefer my Oppo 980, but for Blu-ray I find no deficiencies in the PS3 audio.
    Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• rompower
      • May 2008

Littlesaint, are you decoding HD audio from PS3 or it's your 980 ?
      Thanks

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

The 980 is a player, not a receiver, so I presume he is decoding the audio with the PS3.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Mine works just fine for HD decoding and passing audio over HDMI. I don't use it as a CD player, but it's reported to be just fine for SACD, also. I definitely would not use it for any sort of audio player if all you use is the composite analog stereo audio outputs.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• littlesaint
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by rompower
            Littlesaint, are you decoding HD audio from PS3 or it's your 980 ?
            Thanks
            Yes the PS3 is decoding and sending the PCM to my AVR over HDMI. Also, just to clarify, the PS3 does a fine job of playing SACDs as well. My Oppo 980 is just more convenient for playing music.
            Santino

Comment

• cxc21
              • Mar 2008

What about the operating (fan) noise of the PS3 when playing BD?

Comment

• H.T.C
                • Nov 2003

Originally posted by cxc21
                What about the operating (fan) noise of the PS3 when playing BD?
                Its not that loud and not so much noise at all if listening through a home entertainment system with volume set at normal settings.
                Robert

Comment

• MikeRocchio
                  • Jan 2005

PS3 Fan Noise

I have seen on other forums where people have down played the fan noise on the PS3, I'm surprised to see it here.

I sold my sony BDP-S300 over the weekend and went out and bought the PS3, as an interim until the new profile 2 players come out. I played the first Blu Ray movie and about 1/3rd of the way into it the turbo kicked in! I agree that if your playing the audio at any reasonable level and, are far enough away from the player the sound is not so bad. That being said if there are any quiet scenes FORGET IT! The fan is quite noticable.

All that being said, the image quality is as good as it gets and to answer your question the audio through HDMI, decoded by the PS3, is excellent.

I can't wait until the new players come out and I can get rid of this thing! There is no substitute for a hi quality stand alone player in a dedicated theatre.

Comment

• PewterTA
                    • Nov 2004

You should hear an Xbox 360. It's twice as loud as the PS3. :P
                    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                    -Dan

Comment

• littlesaint
                      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by PewterTA
                      You should hear an Xbox 360. It's twice as loud as the PS3. :P
                      With my 360, the fan is pretty quiet. It's the jet engine disc drive that's loud. What's bad is I had a quiet one, but had to send it in for red ring repair. The one they sent back is terrible.
                      Santino

Comment

• NMG
                        • Oct 2004

I don't notice any noise coming from my PS3 when playing Blu Ray discs. This would be with the volume at "normal" listening levels. I suppose it's possible that I'd notice it at low levels, but to be honest, it's been a non-issue for me thus far. The PS3 is roughly 10-12 feet away from my listening position.

My Xbox 360, on the other hand, was VERY noticeable at "normal" listeing levels, to the point where I usually ended up turning up the volume to compensate. The PS3 is silent in comparison.

Comment

• rompower
                          • May 2008

Between, did you guys, tried a copied movie (blu-ray) into ps3? I tried with BD-RE 50gb from Sony.. ver 2.1 and well.. can't get the PS3 to read it. PAnasonic BD-30 runs the movie fine... but Image is grainy, even if I did a copie 1:1... strange :\

Comment

• Azeke
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2003

NOISE LEVELS:
                            "The Playstation 3's fans are quieter than the Xbox 360. The PS3 is around 40db while the Xbox hovers at ~ 47db. When a game disc is loaded and the game is running, the PS3 is at ~ 44db while the Xbox rises to ~ 55db. So when you are trying to watch a quiet scene in a movie, the Xbox fan noise may interfere with the enjoyment of that moment. That doesn't appear to be the case with the PS3 at normal listening levels.
                            I've heard that placing the consoles on carpeted flooring helped keep the perception of fan noise to a minimum, but then I would be concerned about carpet fibers.

The Xbox Elite with the Falcon motherboard and newer fans is somewhat quiter than it's Xbox 360 premium counterpart, (I replaced my Xbox 360 Premium, RROD, with the upgraded Elite under warranty, I just paid the difference, thanks EB games). I haven't tested the decible levels of the Elite.

I haven't had any audio issues with my PS3, you may want to check the menu settings and ensure you have checked the proper audio settings, just a quick thought. My only small complaint is I need to use the PS3 remote, as opposed to my universal remote.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• FroDaddy
                              • Mar 2006

noise levels

I had a 60Gb PS3 that made a lot of noise after about 10 minutes after turning the unit on. It always stayed at this level no matter what it was doing; playing games, blu-ray, upconverting, cd's, etc. The noise was distracting during movies so I needed to fix it.

I went to Best Buy and bought a 40Gb version yesterday and this PS3 doesn't have a noise problem. It still runs in the "same gear" as my other 60Gb version, but the fan is quieter and there is no exhaust out the side, just the back. So not only is the fan quieter, there is no noise coming out of the side of the unit so in my seating area it is much better. I'm still undecided if I should exchange this one and try another 40Gb because I've read where other people's 40Gb PS3s run cool even inside cabinets and the fan doesn't even get out of first gear.

But, regardless, the fan noise louder than my Toshiba HD-XA2 but much MUCH quieter than my noisy 60Gb.

Hope this helps someone

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"