X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chibahawk
    • May 2007

Speaker Buzz From Dimmer - Question

I have speaker buzz coming through the speakers when the lights are on so it's certainly the dimmer like people have suggested.

The thing is - I only get the buzz when I'm watching cable. When playing PS3, or Wii, everything is fine. What kind of things can I isolate from the problem?

The user Servicetech suggested replacing the RCA audio cables with an Optical cable.

But replacing the dimmer or getting a UPS doesn't seem necessary because it's only buzzing with the cable on.

Thanks,
    Eamonn
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Call the cable company up and have them check the ground connections on the cable coming to your house and make them fix it. Sounds like your cable box is creating a ground loop or something between it and your electrical system.

Comment

• Stoopalini
      • Aug 2000

You could try gounding the cable box with a seperate wire. Sometimes, on the rear of the units, there will be a single phillips screw for connecting a ground wire.

A test you could do, is unplug the the coax cable feeding the cable box, then select the cable input on your receiver and see if the buzz remains. This will tell you if it's the box or the signal cable.

Good luck!
      Thomas.

Comment

• chibahawk
        • May 2007

Well I managed to get something good going on. I switched some spotlight bulbs in! Looks like I never really looked up at the bulbs they were all mismatched and crummy bulbs in there. Put some better ones in and

Almost barely audible buzz now...

*phew*

Comment

• servicetech
          • Sep 2007

I'd still go optical for the cable box connection so you can get 5.1 sound. Even a $10 optical cable from Walmart is going to work better than RCA cables.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"