X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pciav
    • Jun 2004

Need Help/Advice - RSP-1068 Buzz/Hum

I've owned my RSP-1068 since July of 2004. My boss and I purchased units at the same time from the same dealer. In general I love it. I paired it with an ATI 1806 Amplifier and everything has been great until just before Christmas when I first noticed a buzzing sound. I say buzz, because I liken it to the sound a Halogen Light transformer makes and not a typical lower frequency hum.

Before anybody says ground loop, let me preface by saying that I checked all interconnects, electrical cords, cable box earthground etc.. and broke the system down piece by piece. With the AMP on and connected to the speakers it is dead silent, no buzz. As soon as I put the Processor on, there is the buzz. Here's the strange thing. The buzz is not constant. After warm up, it seems to disappear, then comes back at some point at a lesser level, but is still there.

My boss has the same problem, except his is much louder than mine. On his system if he takes the 1068 out of the system and hooks up a Krell Two Channel Pre-Amp he gets no buzz at all.

I run everything through a Monster HTS-2600 power center, and have tried running individual pieces separately to make sure it is nothing with that. I have also plugged the RSP-1068 into dedicated outlet on its own with the same results. One thing of note is that my processor seems to run hot. I have plenty of ventilation and space. My processor, specifically the front left corner when looking at the front head on, is hot. I believe this is where the power supply is. My amp is cool to the touch whereas the Rotel is not.

Is there anything I am missing or anything else to check or do before contacting Rotel Tech Support and/or my dealer?

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Phil C.
  • GosonFletchy
    • May 2004

Try grounding the chassis of each unit in your system together. See if this helps. I have seen it help any a few of my friends systems before.

G.

:grab:

Comment

• w6000
      • Dec 2003

Hi Phill, do you have dimmer lights in the room. If so they could be the problem and you will need a dedicated circut. Also check to see that none of your connections are touching.

W6000

Comment

• pciav
        • Jun 2004

Thanks guys. I should've put some more detail above. All the equipment is on a dedicated circuit and no dimmer switches in the room. No connections are touching and I swapped out interconnects to check individual wires.

As far as grounding the two chassis together, my boss is the one who tried that experiment without success, still buzzing. The only thing for him that eliminated the buzz was when he put a different pre-amp in the system.

It's very frustrating since it only appeared in my system about a month ago.

Comment

• Elvis
          • Jan 2005

It sounds like you have done about all you can,I would get Rotel and your dealer to try to solve the problem.

Comment

• markmaple
            • Apr 2004

The first RSP-1068 that I got back in April had a problem that Rotel had with some early units. Here is the thread that I started about my problem. My replacement unit fixed the problem. Perhaps you have the same problem.

Comment

• pciav
              • Jun 2004

Thanks Mark. I am not running any video connections through the 1068, they are all connected to my Video Processor. I am however, using the 5.1 channel input for SACD playback and I will check that aspect out later and see if I can find any correlationto what you posted. I will also print your linked thread and discuss with my dealer and/or Rotel should I get to that point.

My dealer and Rotel are the next logical step, I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything before going that route. I appreciate all the help and suggestions.

Phil C.

Comment

• pciav
                • Jun 2004

Update... I spent the morning disassembling the system and putting it back together piece by piece. The good news it is apparently not the Rotel. When I got back to the cable box, the hum wasn't there, then it appeared all of a sudden. I pulled the Coax out and the hum/buzz went away. I went outside to check my ground and the F-Block is fine as well as the copper wire to the water pipe.

I am going to check out a couple of cable box ground loop articles and go from there. I was so sure it wasn't the cable box. Thanks for listening and offering suggestions.

Phil C.

Comment

• Mark_C.
                  • Jan 2003

I see a lot of threads like this one here. Folks, for some reason, assume it's Rotel equipment causing the problem when it seems like 9 out of 10 times that it is the cable or satellite equipment causing problems. There should be an FAQ: Ground loop (or system hiss): Step 1. Disconnect your cable or satellite feed, then listen for hum or hiss. That might stop alot of these threads cold.

Comment

• pciav
                    • Jun 2004

Good point Mark. These things are very tricky indeed. I love my Rotel and wasn't blaming them, just glad there's good help here. I did read the following and think these would be excellent additions to any FAQ made on this subject. Hum FAQ from AVS Forum and Audioholics Ground Loop Article.

For me, the mistake I made was only disconnecting the Digital Coax Audio Cable feed from the cable box to the Rotel initially and the hum remained. I figured this was sufficient to rule it out since there was no connection between the two pieces, but was wrong ops: . It was not unitl I broke things down and went piece by piece again that I discovered the problem. Also, my problem started only a month ago after having the system in place since July without a hint of any hum or buzz. Previous to that, I never had a hum or buzz using the same cable feed in my old system. I hope you can see why, for me, it was kind of a mystery especially after verifying the earthground. What I ended up doing was grounding the splitter to the gang box and the hum disappeared.

My boss does not have a cable/sat box in his system and the build date on his 1068 is from February 2004; therefore, I have pointed him to Mark Maple's thread as I think he may have a related problem. The buzzing/hum sound on his unit sounds completely different from what I experienced.

Anyway, thanks again for all the help and if this ends up helping somebody else, all the better.

Phil C.
                    ----------------
                    Snowbound in NYC

Comment

• Boone38
                      • Dec 2004

I too have the hum in my new 1068. I have had the unit for 2 weeks. I have it plugged into a dedicated circut. I unplugged the cable box from the wall and the hum was still there. Next I ran the amp with the speakers only connected and the hum was gone. Thus, I know it is not the amp or the cable box. I even bought the monster 5100 and the hum is still there. I have it on all three fronts. I am not using the rears at this time ( moving the system to the basement when completed and will have inwalls for the rear).

I have checked all the connections and cables. I had a Denon 3805 prior to this set up and had no ground loop problems. I even checked the polarity of the outlet and this was fine. I have noticed that when I turn the volume to Min the the hum goes away and the when I turn it to any other level on the volume the hum returns.

I also thought it was the sub but removed the connectins and the hum was still there. I have read all the forums you note and have no solution. Before I go to the dealer and have them call Rotel is there any other options I can try?

My system:

Rotel 1068
                      Rotel 1075
                      Rotel 1050 DVD

Monster 5100

B & W 601.3 ( looking to upgrade to the 703 in the near future)
                      600 center

Velodyne HGS12x Sub

Thanks for any help you can supply.

Dan

Comment

• Kevin D
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Oct 2002

You might have done this, but connect the 1068, the amp, and the speakers only in the same dedicated outlet. If you have the hum, then it's either the 1068 or the outlet.

If no hum, connect everything one by one and see when it occurs. Since you've ruled out cable, my next guess would be the TV on a different outlet and connected to the 1068 or the sub on a different outlet and connected to the 1068.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Boone38
                          • Dec 2004

Thank and will try. Will let you know.

Comment

• H.Donald
                            • Aug 2004

My hum/buzz issue was fixed by seperating the RSP 1068 from the RMB 1095.
                            At first they were both plugged into a Monster 5100 and there was lots of humming.After several cures,some worked a little,most not at all...I plugged the 1095 into another line and all was quiet.For some reason the two did not want to be on the same line.

Comment

• Boone38
                              • Dec 2004

Well the saga has come to an end. I tried about all I could think of to get rid of the hum. Started from scratch and hooked everything back together and then listened for the hum. Only this time I had no output.
                              Sent a note to rotel but never heard back. I took the unit to the dealer and of course it worked fine. Put it back into the system and it is fine. No hum and all the output I need. Go figure !!!!
                              Unit sounds great. Will play around with the remote. I did replace the audio cable with a MIT #1 coxial. Not sure if this was the cause or not.
                              Has anyone ever heard of a cable causing the hum???

Thanks everyone for the input.

Next project is to upgrade the B & W 601.3 for the 704's.

Comment

• Mark_C.
                                • Jan 2003

I'm glad it worked out for you. Enjoy your system!

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"