Surround sound for my room...Onkyo TX-DS787 and....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • solidcrowd
    • Jan 2008

Surround sound for my room...Onkyo TX-DS787 and....

Anyone have any information if this is a good receiver? I think it went for $999 in 2000. I might be trading some of my high end car audio for it. What is its value today since technology gets better by the day.

Also, are these speakers/cabinents a good place to start for surround sound in my room? They are the Jensens and the model number is cs315

I'm use to building speaker boxes for the car, so I don't think making some for my room should be that hard. I was going to buy some speakers and tweeters (need some suggestions) from partsexpress and build enclosures for them.

Then for substage, I have a sonotube in the garage 18" wide and 5' tall. Maybe throwing my cheap edhqs12's in there and powering them with a small plate amp.

So what do you guys think? Should I build my own enclosures and use the sonosub idea orrr...buy these cabinets already but and upgrade the woofers? I need some suggestions!! Thanks (my room is only about 13 X 14)
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Welcome to the Guide, solidcrowd!

The TX-DS787 was/is a decent piece. But I would suggest that, unless the car audio pieces in question have also lost quite a bit in value, you pass on the deal.

You could get an up to date Onkyo equivalent for around $500-600 new. Which shoud have better processing and all the latest codecs. As well as HDMI, which will future proof your connection needs for some time.

As to the speaker building questions, visit our Mission Possible section. Those guys there, really know their stuff!!!
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Glen B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jul 2004

For HT I am currently using a similarly featured TX-DS696, which was the model directly below the 787 and I am satisfied with it. The 696 does not have HDMI but I don't miss it. The way my system is configured, I don't need HDMI in a receiver or processor. I am also currently using an external amp being fed by the R+L preouts of the 696 to drive the main speakers because the HT setup does double-duty for secondary 2-channel listening.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"