X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spdwy808
    • Sep 2007

7.1 speaker placement

I am building a theater room in my basement. I will be utilizing a 7.1 system that I've pieced together. I have two large JBL tower and a center for the front. For my sides and back, I have two Fisher tower speakers that are about 26" tall and two small Sony surrounds. Unfortunately, I have to mount the side speakers in/on the ceiling, and the backs on the wall. Does it make a difference if the small speakers are on the side and the towers are used for surround back? If that won't work, I will try to mount the towers into the ceiling. I just want the best sound quality with what I've got.
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

It won't make a difference... well yes it will... Just depends on how much you care.

If you are going to listen to most tracks in a 5.1 "true" surround and not have your Pre use it's DSP to do DPLIIx to 7.1, then most of your surround sound is going to come from your sides. Which in that case I would think you'd want your best speakers in that position. But if you use DPLIIx or true 7.1 from HD/Blu-ray then you'll probably hardly notice the lack of "support" from the smaller Sony's.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• Nolan B
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by PewterTA
      It won't make a difference... well yes it will... Just depends on how much you care.

If you are going to listen to most tracks in a 5.1 "true" surround and not have your Pre use it's DSP to do DPLIIx to 7.1, then most of your surround sound is going to come from your sides. Which in that case I would think you'd want your best speakers in that position. But if you use DPLIIx or true 7.1 from HD/Blu-ray then you'll probably hardly notice the lack of "support" from the smaller Sony's.
      this may be a silly question becuase I have yet to take my 5.1 to a 7.1 setup yet, but I am close as close can be.

If you have a 7.1 setup, but want to hear a 5.1 movie as 5.1 are you saying you cant use your two surounds as a normal 5.1 and just have your to side speakers off? Basically what would normally be your rear channels in a 5.1 system would end up being payed on your side speakers?

what if you have a 7.1 setup but want to listen to a 5.1 DVD A?

Comment

• Bob Santos
        • Mar 2001

Originally posted by Vancouver
        this may be a silly question becuase I have yet to take my 5.1 to a 7.1 setup yet, but I am close as close can be.

If you have a 7.1 setup, but want to hear a 5.1 movie as 5.1 are you saying you cant use your two surounds as a normal 5.1 and just have your to side speakers off? Basically what would normally be your rear channels in a 5.1 system would end up being payed on your side speakers?

what if you have a 7.1 setup but want to listen to a 5.1 DVD A?

Dolby recommends that your rear speakers be places from 90deg (directly on the side of the listener) to 110% (just slightly behind but still off to the side) for your 5.1 system. For 7.1 the two rear speakers they recommend the two rears at 135deg - 150deg. Your two side speakers if set up this way still act as your surrounds while listening to 5.1 with the rear channels being used ony for 7.1.
        I have my sides at about 100deg, and my rears at about 170deg. Everything in the soundtrack's seem to be exactly where they are supposed to be.

Hope this helps,
        Bob

Comment

• Azeke
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2003

Sound advice Bob. Just remember a good 5.1 beats an average 7.1 any day. Ensure your speaker placement is correct, your speakers are properly calibrated, and you use quality speakers which blend with your current system, i.e the same or compatible manufacturer. Just my quick thoughts, based on my humble experiences. Your acoustical mileage may vary of course.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"