X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Parsonsk
    • Nov 2004

Do you have In-Wall speakers?

I'm looking to add in-wall speakers for my home theater and would like to get people thoughts.

If you have in-wall or in-ceiling speakers...

- what have you installed
    - do you like them
    - what would you do different if you were to do it again?
    - do you know anything about the new Paradigm AMS-LCR's?

thanks!
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

I bought my current house when it was under construction, and installed lots of A/V stuff. (side note: I'm moving and selling my house now, if anybody wants it! We'll see how this goes) One of the things I installed was an all-home audio/video distribution system.

In five different rooms, I have in-ceiling stereo speakers installed, wired back to my theater as the central source. In the master bedroom, I also installed three in-wall speakers on the front wall across the bed, and a source selection switch. Thus, you can either listen to the all-home stereo sound through the ceiling speakers, positioned over the bed, or select the source to the bedroom itself, so that the front in-wall speakers become front main and center channel speakers and the ceilings become surround speakers.

All speakers are made by JBL. (chosen from what I had to select from at the time, with a discount from local distribution store) Each room has a impedance matching volume control knob to control volume in that room, or just turn it off.

System works great, and was actually fairly cost efficient for what it does. Just required a lot of in-wall wiring, which would be incredibly difficult if you don't do it during construction prior to sheetrock. Lots of 14/4 wire going from the theater to each volume control, and then 14/2 wire going from each volume control to each of its two speakers.

Works great, sounds nice, great effect, especially when having company over, just to play light background music throughout the home. Oh, yes, one zone is actually two outdoor speakers over the back patio for backyard music.

If I had to do it again, I'd do the exact same thing, and again do it during construction. If anything, I'd only get better speakers.

Don't know anything about the Paradigms.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Parsonsk
      • Nov 2004

thanks Chris

.....there's got to be more people out there with in wall speakers!!???

come on guys, lets here about what you know!

Comment

• Brian Bunge
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2001

I think you should check out the Dayton line of in-wall/in-ceiling speakers at Parts Express. Not the contractor series, but the more expensive line. These are very good quality speakers and I feel that you'd be hard pressed to find better speakers for the money.

Comment

• pereze
          • May 2006

I installed the Infinity ERS HV250 in my brother's home for his Home Theater as well as the cheap Dayton in-ceiling speakers for the dinning room and kitchen.
          I had also installed the Dayton's in my previous home. They are ok for ambient music, but I would not use them for true listening.

My brother has been very happy with his HV250's. They sound really good so far. His room needs lots of control (Hardwood floors, high ceilings, little to no window treatements). I have two ready for my dining room whenever I get a chance to run the wire.

Good luck,
          Eric

Comment

• Brian Bunge
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2001

When you say the "cheap Daytons" I assume you mean the contractor's series? That's precisely why I said to skip those for all but background music. I imagine the Infinities are pretty nice.

Comment

• natural
              • Feb 2007

I bought some Boston Acoustic in-walls that I'm waiting on to arrive any day now. I'm in the middle of a remod project for the living room so all wiring will be hidden and run to a media closet in the hallway. How good they'll be I have no idea but I'm building enclosures behind the sheetrock to have a balanced playing field for all the drivers. Plans are to swap those out with Nat-P in-walls as time permits and move the BA's to my home office. Should have everything up and running by the end of next week. :T
              Diddy-Wah-Diddy

Comment

• G. Martin
                • Oct 2006

JAMO inwalls for the surrounds here di/bi polar for the sides and direct radiating for the rear. They sounded good at first but I added a dynamat product that really brought them to life.http://www.dynamat.com/products_arch...l_en_wall.html
                George

Comment

• Parsonsk
                  • Nov 2004

i would think in-walls would be more popular than this>>>??

anyone have experience with paradigm or polk audio?

Comment

• Kevin D
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Oct 2002

They are more popular, it's just a lot of us all ready replied to the thread you had back in October:

Talk about pre-processors, amps, receivers, audio formats as they relate to home theater. This means anything 5-7 channel (or more) speaker setups. Small system integration issues. General discussion of audio video, A/V news, meets and events.

Azeke actually recommended the Polk's back in the thread you had in November:

Talk about pre-processors, amps, receivers, audio formats as they relate to home theater. This means anything 5-7 channel (or more) speaker setups. Small system integration issues. General discussion of audio video, A/V news, meets and events.

Kevin D.
                    Last edited by theSven; 27 May 2023, 11:02 Saturday. Reason: Update htguide urls

Comment

• ejuanpiman
                      • Nov 2006

check these ppl out www.speakercraft.com/, this is the only thing they dedicate themselves too...

Comment

• Parsonsk
                        • Nov 2004

Kevin D, i'm not sure what you're reading but those threads are asking different questions.....

...and besides, i suspect that new people join this forum every once in a while, and i'm guessing that some of them might have some good feed back to boot?

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"