X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sy0296
    • Jan 2007

new to the forum here. got a couple of q's

been reading up on a lot of the threads here over the past year or so but never came around to posting. my back ground is mostly car audio (can see my current never ending project here www.pbase.com/sy0296/m3 --she just got supercharged) and just got started in HT a few years ago. the system you see in my sig was peiced together slowly over three or so years (i fanatical about changing, upgrading, etc.) with the newest addition being the crystal cable reference interconnects for use with the Opera Audio CDP which I just picked up not so long ago.

here's my dilemma. the TV I just bought about 15 months ago and have not complaints about it what so ever. a month ago i bought a ps3 and along with it, a few blu-ray movies--it is a huge difference to the dvd's played on the opvd971h. i can't bring myself to buy a dedicated blu-ray or hd-dvd player yet, but eventually one will be on the list.

being the type of guy that must have the newest gadgets and such, it's killing my that my 15 month old sony tv will not accept the 1080p signal from the ps3 (and the new dv981hd which i will order when i start seeing some reviews). here the question: figure i can still sell my sony for a grand or more and a new xbr2 set will cost me around $3k on the street, will having the ability to display native 1080p signals show a drastic improvement over what i have now?

my inner urges are pushing for the buy, but my fiance will probably kick my arse...your thoughts?
    Sony KDS-R60XBR1
    Oppo Digital OPDV971H
    Opera Audio Consenance Droplet CD5.0
    Sony Playstation 3
    Sunfire Theater Grand VI
    Arcam FMJ P7
    B&W 803
    B&W HTM3s
    Paradigm ADP-70
    SVS 20-39 PC-Plus
    Crystal Cable Reference Interconnects (CDP to Pre/Pro, Front Stage Pre/Pro to Amp)
    Crystal Cable Micro Interconnects (Center + Surround Stage Pre/Pro to Amp)
    Audioquest VDM-5 (DVDP to Pre/Pro)
    Audioquest Optilink-3 (PS3 to Pre/Pro)
    Crystal Cable Reference Speaker Cables
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by sy0296
    being the type of guy that must have the newest gadgets and such, it's killing my that my 15 month old sony tv will not accept the 1080p signal from the ps3 (and the new dv981hd which i will order when i start seeing some reviews). here the question: figure i can still sell my sony for a grand or more and a new xbr2 set will cost me around $3k on the street, will having the ability to display native 1080p signals show a drastic improvement over what i have now?

my inner urges are pushing for the buy, but my fiance will probably kick my arse...your thoughts?
    Welcome to the forum sy0296.

My initial thoughts are, yes she will probably kick you posterior .

My quick thought, would be, to pack up the PS3 and try to compare it and see for yourself. The question would then be to ask yourself, is this two thousands better than 720p, and secondly would I get my monies worth? 1080p is certainly better than 720p, but the technology is still relatively expensive, so I would probably show a little patience, however I married .

Good luck to you and keep us posted.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• sy0296
      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Azeke
      My initial thoughts are, yes she will probably kick you posterior .

My quick thought, would be, to pack up the PS3 and try to compare it and see for yourself. The question would then be to ask yourself, is this two thousands better than 720p, and secondly would I get my monies worth? 1080p is certainly better than 720p, but the technology is still relatively expensive, so I would probably show a little patience, however I married .
      hehe, after the 20 minutes or so it took me to sign up, brows the board, and type up my post, my fiance asked what i was doing in front of the computer for so long--usually i can't stand using the computer for more than a couple of minutes at home since i'm in front of a monitor for hours at work. in anycase, i ran the thought of changing the TV by her and she rolled her eyes and called me crazy. not too bad i suppose

i don't know why but the thought of actually bring my ps3 + a movie into a store to check for the difference in person never crossed my mind. i guess the answer to my question is much easier in real life then. maybe this weekend i'll tell my wife i'm going to golf and secretly pack up the ps3.......

usually i'm not keen on keeping secrets but when she found out i recently supercharged the M she wasn't too happy (esp when 2 days after she found out about the supercharger, she also found out that i needed new cluch/flywheel, headers, and a alcohol injection cooling system to go with the supercharger...lol). good thing the xbr1 and xbr2 tv's are identical in appearance
      Sony KDS-R60XBR1
      Oppo Digital OPDV971H
      Opera Audio Consenance Droplet CD5.0
      Sony Playstation 3
      Sunfire Theater Grand VI
      Arcam FMJ P7
      B&W 803
      B&W HTM3s
      Paradigm ADP-70
      SVS 20-39 PC-Plus
      Crystal Cable Reference Interconnects (CDP to Pre/Pro, Front Stage Pre/Pro to Amp)
      Crystal Cable Micro Interconnects (Center + Surround Stage Pre/Pro to Amp)
      Audioquest VDM-5 (DVDP to Pre/Pro)
      Audioquest Optilink-3 (PS3 to Pre/Pro)
      Crystal Cable Reference Speaker Cables

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Sy, I don't think it will be a "drastic" change in PQ but you'll see a little deeper into the details of the image. If you can hold out for 12 months or so, the SED-based sets will be on the market and those have the best of all worlds: plasma blacks, no burn-in, viewable in high-light environments, etc. Also, Pioneer is targeting the same timeframe for a plasma screen with 20,000:1 contrast ratio.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Hi Sy, welcome to The Guide. :welcome:

I don't think it will be a "drastic" change in PQ but you'll see a little deeper into the details of the image. If you can hold out for 12 months or so, the SED-based sets will be on the market and those have the best of all worlds: plasma blacks, no burn-in, viewable in high-light environments, etc. Also, Pioneer is targeting the same timeframe for a plasma screen with 20,000:1 contrast ratio.

PS. It'd be a BIG help if you could remove your system description from your signature. If someone does a search on a component you have listed, every thread you've posted in will come back in their query. That's not a problem with just a few posts, but when you've put in hundreds (or thousands) it can be. Thanks.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Azeke
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2003

BTW, at the CES there is a new 100K contrast television, however I don't recall the manufacturer.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"