X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bleeding ears
    • Nov 2004

Does PS3 decode DTS MA ?

I see that some blueray discs have DTS MA audio whilst others have DD HD audio.

I was told by a salesperson that the PS3 does not process DTS MA, does anyone know if it does ?

Also this PS3 site

shows a cable to allow the PS3 picture to output over component cables, question is will I get a picture from a Blueray disc using component.

The info for the component cable says it does 1080p, this must be a mistake ?

Anyone up on this stuff ?

Pete
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

With a firmware update, the PS3 can decode all the new formats. It can only send it out PCM over HDMI though. Optical out will only be the core formats. You would need a processor with HDMI 1.1 to enjoy the new formats from it.

You will get an HD signal using the component video output when playing blu-rays. you will be limited to 480p when playing regular DVD's without HDMI. The PS3's component video output does support 1080p, but few TV's support 1080p over component (mostly Sony's from what I've seen). Plus it will only do 1080p over component for games that support 1080p. 1080i is the max output over component for blu-ray's.

Kevin D.

Comment

• bleeding ears
      • Nov 2004

Thanks again Kevin, thanks to you and others I am slowly getting a grasp of blu ray and the associated electronics needed.

So if I am getting this right, with the PS3 I can get a picture through component wth blu ray discs, not necessarily a 1080p picture but a picture of 480i or better ?

However DTS MA, and DD HD are not going to happen unless I get a different processor or receiver ? as there are no 5/7.1 analog connections on a playstation to go into my 1068 Rotel processor (no hdmi)

Bugger !

I thought the PS3 may have been a better option over a dedicated player (as you get gaming included) but now it appears the player is the better option until I update my processor and get the hdmi connection.

Oh well , the bright side is that I did not go out and buy a PS3 only to be dissapointed that it wont work the way I need it to.

I may have to rethink the whole blu ray thing, and wait until I get the correct gear to go with it.

I now wish I didnt hear that zz top concert on blu ray at the dealer, it sounded great, much better than the older DD or DTS and that is what got me started thinking .

Upgrade itis is looming. LOL

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Yes, BD is hard to pass up once you've seen what it can do! You've got the right understanding for PS3 capabilities. It WILL put out decoded HD audio streams, but only over HDMI, so yes, you'll need a HDMI 1.1 receiver or higher. (it's really worth it)

Yes, you'll get a very good picture from BD's on the PS3 using component video. But it will be limited to 480p, so not NEARLY as good as HDMI.

So although you'll get good performance with the equipment you have, the optimum would be PS3, HDMI 1.3 receiver, and 1080p HDMI 1.3 video display.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"