X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JJN
    • Jul 2006

Rear speaker distance?

I'm wiring my 18ft x 34ft rec rm and would like to install wire for rear speakers in case I want to go to 7.1 in the future .

The couch will be limited to 12ft from the front wall . (a pool table limits the distance)

The side speakers will be 15ft back from the front wall.(min. distance due to a window)

The rear speakers would have to be inwall and in the ceiling.(is this even a good idea?)

How far back and how far apart should they be ? I was thinking 8 ft apart ?and 17-18 ft backfrom front wall?

Thanks for any info!!
    Last edited by JJN; 19 July 2006, 16:59 Wednesday.
  • comeup
    • Jul 2005

How about a diagram of your room, something doesn't sound right about your side speakers being 15 feet back they should be on the side of the main sitting area for correct imaging. If this is the case you may choose not to have side speakers and use those side speakers as rears instead. Good Luck
    Blake

Comment

• Snap
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2005

A diagram would help. You might want to go with 6.1 instead. If your side speakers are already going to be behind you, then just go with 1 speaker on the back wall for 6.1.

Also in ceiling and in wall surrounds sounds just fine. Now days in almost all new construction people are going with complete systems in the ceiling and in walls. Heck...Jamo has a in ceiling Di-pole speaker that rocks!
      The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• JJN
        • Jul 2006

Originally posted by comeup
        How about a diagram of your room, something doesn't sound right about your side speakers being 15 feet back they should be on the side of the main sitting area for correct imaging. If this is the case you may choose not to have side speakers and use those side speakers as rears instead. Good Luck
        I don't know how to do a diagram The couch is 12 ft from the front wall ,so the rears ( in a 5.1 system ) would be 3 feet back and on the side walls. My idea was to put the wire in the ceiling incase I were to expand in the future. Putting the future rears futher back would create the speakers in a circle effect.

I could put side speakes (inwalls) on each side of the couch but they would have to be 42 inches high (too low?)

I plan on using the stuff I have right now with the purchase of maybe a set on inwalls (nothing in the budget)

Marantz 5400
        Parasound hca 1500 A powering the front Paradigm 40v2's
        Qsc plx 1602 powering two VMPS subs (soon to have all new drivers)
        FBD (maybe ,still not hooked up in current system ops: )
        Paradigm mini monitors for the rear (in a 5.1 system)
        Need a matching center channel to replace the psb I have now.
        Thanks for all the help

John

Comment

• JJN
          • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Snap
          A diagram would help. You might want to go with 6.1 instead. If your side speakers are already going to be behind you, then just go with 1 speaker on the back wall for 6.1.

Also in ceiling and in wall surrounds sounds just fine. Now days in almost all new construction people are going with complete systems in the ceiling and in walls. Heck...Jamo has a in ceiling Di-pole speaker that rocks!

I could put a speaker (future rear ) on the back wall but that would be 22 ft from the listener (too far?)

No money for all new stuff

Thanks
          John

Comment

• Snap
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2005

those dimentions are fine. you just calibrate your system to work with were your speakers are at.
            The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• JJN
              • Jul 2006

Thanks

Comment

• rickyo
                • Jul 2006

Hi JJN, if I may suggest since you want to prepare for a 7.1 set-up in the future , why not just place your side speakers(which you already have now) at the rear already (18ft from front wall) instead of your 15ft idea for a 5.1set-up. And just install a provisional wire for a future SIDE SURROUND (7.1) that you can locate in the ceiling(in-ceiling type) directly on top where you will place your sofa.

Comment

• comeup
                  • Jul 2005

I thought they were 15 feet behind the seating area 2 or 3 feet back is o.k. sounds like a nice system for a good hi end setup have fun.
                  Blake

Comment

• Azeke
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2003

JJN,

Here is a URL that will provide a good frame of reference:

Room Layout and Speaker Setup

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• JJN
                      • Jul 2006

Thanks for all the replies!

I went with my original plan of leaving 2 runs of 12ga about 17 feet back from the front wall spaced about 6 feet apart. The wire will be drywalled over so if I ever use the runs , I'll cut a hole to get to it.

A few (bad) pictures of rec rm. (I'm also doing a workout room ,spare rm. and full bath.) A mock up of room...The air hockey table is being replaced with a pool table and the tv and stereo is my sons (I loaned him my old psb 800's) Love seat may get a slip cover for a while.

I ran 2" pvc from behind tv to equipment closet. (the hole in the wall.) I will be able to access it from furnace rm.

In the pictures the tv is away from the wall a few feet so I can get some work done behind it.

I was thinking of naming the project , Overbudget. 8O

John
                      Attached Files

Comment

• comeup
                        • Jul 2005

Be sure to post more pictures when your finish looks great so far should be a awsome theater.
                        Blake

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"