X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boombox
    • Oct 2005

H/K AVR240, Boston Acoustics speakers, 5.1 or 7.1

Ok.....

Here's the deal. I've pretty much settled on a 7.1, 50wpc receiver to start the whole HT thing. Fortunately my fiancee is going to continue building the HT scene, allowing me to invest significantly on my hi-fi.

For her birthday, I'm starting her off with a H/K AVR240, a pair of Boston Acoustics (BA) VR2 floorstanders, a BA VR500 sub and a BA VRC centre channel speaker. I'm also parting with my Rotel RDV1040 dvd-player which I'm including in the birthday package; she's chipping in with a pair of BA CR65s.

Now the above arrangement brings the HT up to a 5.1 config. My questions:
    1. Will 50W H/K power be enough to drive these speakers, particularly the VR2 floorstanders?
    2. Is 7.1 significantly better than 5.1?
    3. Is it better to have a pair of bi-polar surrounds as opposed to 2 bookshelfs.
    4. Do you need 2 pairs of bi-polars for 7.1 or does one pair or bi-polar speakers classify as 7.1?

What are your opinions on the H/K receivers?
    Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"
  • SteveCallas
    • Aug 2005

1. Will 50W H/K power be enough to drive these speakers, particularly the VR2 floorstanders?
    They have a pretty high sensitivity, so crossed over at 80hz, you should be fine. If you start running them full range, you might get into problems.

If you have a room that will allow for proper placement of four surround speakers, then I have noticed that the rear surrounds do add to the experience. Just don't try to force fit 7.1 to a room not suited for it, as good 5.1 will be better then compromised 7.1

3. Is it better to have a pair of bi-polar surrounds as opposed to 2 bookshelfs.
    Depends on the room again. I'd only go for bi-polar surrounds if your seating position is right against the back wall - I'd put the bipoles on that back wall a couple feet above ear level. In just about any other other case, I would personally stick to direct firing speakers.

4. Do you need 2 pairs of bi-polars for 7.1 or does one pair or bi-polar speakers classify as 7.1?
    :B No, you would need two pair of speakers.

One note: I have VR3s, and they are great speakers, but Boston isn't particularly know for making great subwoofers. I see that sub is going for ~$250 right now, so you probably don't want to spend too much in that area, but for that price, I believe the BIC Acoustech H100 is considered the best buy. 12" woofer, 500 watts, and supposed to get you into the high 20hz range.

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

Steve seems to have provided some sound advice.

Here are my thoughts:

I am believer of driving my fronts with a separate amp, of course your acoustic mileage may vary. If you are strictly doing movies then you are probably fine, since it seems you have pretty efficient fronts speakers (93dB).

The school of thought is, a good 5.1 system beats a mediocre 7.1 system any day.

That would depend on room acoustics, I am currently running bi-polars for the surrounds and direct firing for my center backs. It seems to work well for me.

I actually enjoy the direct firing speakers, for my center backs better after trying both configurations.

I am constantly thinking of new configuration designs for my 7.1 setup. I also learned that the rear speakers should not be compromised in terms of quality. If you have the room go for it, you won't regret it. Be prepared though, you will probably be hit with upgraditis, once you get started on your 7.1 upgrade path. Just remember that HDMI 1.3 a/v receivers are coming out the Q1 of 2007.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Boombox
        • Oct 2005

Thanks for the great advice guys.

I do have a RB1070 2ch power amp, but I'm using that for my hi-fi.

Originally posted by SteveCallas
        In just about any other other case, I would personally stick to direct firing speakers.
        At the moment she does not have the space for 7.1. So I was hoping that the 5.1 config will be decent. I'll then stick with the two bookshelf BA CR67s.

Final question. Are the bookshelf surrounds placed on the side wall relative to your seating position or do you place them behind the seating position? At the moment, she has TV in front, sliding glass door on the right, kitchen area to the far left and solid wall to the back. Clearly the back wall will be ideal here.

Originally posted by SteveCallas
        I see that sub is going for ~$250 right now, so you probably don't want to spend too much in that area
        Incidently at the time I bought this sub (2001), it cost me (at today's exchange rate) approx. $1000.

Comment

• Boombox
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Azeke
          Just remember that HDMI 1.3 a/v receivers are coming out the Q1 of 2007.
          Thanks for the reminder, but that will be my fiancee's worry, not mine (of course she won't give a hood about HDMI now or in the future). Once her HT is set-up, I'll square off my hi-fi against her HT. Hopefully she'll catch this illness of ours...

Comment

• SteveCallas
            • Aug 2005

Ideal surround placement, if the room allows, is for the speakers to be near the side walls, about 1' behind the seating position, with the tweeters 1-2' above ear level, and with them firing at each other or very slightly towards the back of the room. If you point them so that they are firing at the seat, you lose the surround atmosphere and can audibly locate the speakers very easily.

Comment

• Azeke
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2003

This URL may help with speaker placement:

Dolby Recommended Speaker Placement

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"