X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DL86
    • Sep 2005

HDMI 1.3 multimedia interface officially introduced

Looks like they have finally introduced the HDMI 1.3 standard.
  • JKalman
    • Nov 2005

Off Topic post

I might as well make all the rest of my posts off topic, since one side of an argument is being selectively censored by the person who chose to argue with me ;x(
    Last edited by JKalman; 23 June 2006, 16:15 Friday.

Comment

• alpina
      • Nov 2005

what i dont get is that composite is composite, s-vhs is s-vhs, component is component, dvi is dvi so why is it that in less than 2 years we will have seen hdmi 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 & 1.3, all of which are significantly different from each other?

as much as like having the lastest technology and will probably be an early adopter of 1.3, this whole format is proving to be quite a joke!

am i alone in my thinking here?

julie
      My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880

Comment

• Brandon B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2001

Because they didn't think through their next generation standard quite like they ought to have, or because consumer requirements went in a direction they didn't quite anticipate. I think more along the lines of the former.

New higher bandwidth audio codecs, a real or perceived need for 1080p video transmission, etc. Poor compatibility between HDMI 1.1 devices.

Certainly worth sitting out until it's "fixed".

BB

Comment

• earwit
          • Jun 2006

OKay I'm glad Hdmi 1.3 has been introduced, and hopefully it will interface better with Blue-Ray and Hd-Dvd.

Currently only a few processors have any kind of Hdmi input/output,
          the only ones I know of are : Anthem, Arcam, and Halcro.

By the time other manufacturer's finally come out with HDMI in the next FEW YEARS, my suspicion is there will be Hdmi 1.4.........

This is why I'm likley going the Anthem route, it seems to be the only hi-end manufacturer that is trying to keep up with digital advancements and has
          routine software and hardware upgrades

Comment

• bleeding ears
            • Nov 2004

With nearly all new technology, products are marketed highlighting all the positives of the technology, rarely will you have any hint of the negatives such as incompatibility or rapid obsolesence to newer and possibly even more incompatibile products.

Sounds a bit negative but if you want the latest and possibly the greatest units available you need to be prepared for the issues that they havent told you about. Oh and the high cost as well!

The only way around it is to sit back, wait and find out what the real storey is.

By then the product is much cheaper and you know what you are getting yourself into.

Thats why I like coming here so often, from my experience it s one of the few forums that have knowledgeable competent enthusiasts that will tell it how it is.

We can all do without the marketing hype that is associated with hi fi and ht.

As I am sure many of us are aware you can spend many thousands of dolllars chasing the latest technology or product,only to find it is not what it was made out to be, or does not out perform older units.

Newer is not necessarily better, even when the marketing says it is.

As for HDMI 1.3 , well how much is a different cableconnection worth and what benefits are there for the money.

Its going to be interesting to find out and Yes I do find it a bit of a Joke for the cost involved Vs the benefit.

Maybe others will see it different, but that s my 2 cents worth.

Comment

• Azeke
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2003

That is wonderful news. The PS III is the first to be introduced at a whopping $599.00 for the premiere version, that doesn't even include the games, but perhaps it's worth it. I'm sure that's why Sony waited for the PS III's introduction. I await the reviews of HDMI 1.3 devices with breathless anticipation.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• DrJRapp
                Super Senior Member
                • Apr 2003

Originally posted by alpina
                am i alone in my thinking here?

julie
                HDMI is a classic "BLIVET" The definition of a BLIVET is 10 lbs of Stuff in a 5lb bag. I normally would use another word in place of Stuff...lol.

I believe they are trying to do way to much thru one cable to create a "plug and play" solution. Something will suffer somewhere, either reliability or quality. Perhaps we will just wind up with everything being flaky and mediocre. It's the old adage...jack of all trades but master of none!

Put this in context of someone who still uses analog connections between my CD player and pre/pro....for reasons of quality.
                Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• JKalman
                  • Nov 2005

Off topic post
                  Last edited by JKalman; 23 June 2006, 16:12 Friday.

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by JKalman
                    I don't think so, after all it is passing a digital signal. So as long as the devices on the output path or paths, that are decoding the signals, buffer and reclock the bits correctly and have great DACs, which doesn't require a giant leap in engineering now a days, it will be fine. This was the second motivation for switching to digital transfer, encrypting the content was the first motivation.
                    Yes beacause so much of the population has the ability to illegally copy a 2hr 1080p movie over component cables 8O :rofl: :roll:

Anyhoo.... glad they finally sorted out the standard :T Seems EVERYONE's been waiting for them!
                    Jason

Comment

• JKalman
                      • Nov 2005

Off topic post

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

I don't believe anyone ever said it would be hard to copy tapes, CD's or even DVD's over component cables....? :scratchhead:

The fact remains that it will be easier and cheaper to break any digital encryption (and it will happen regardless of anything the studios can come up with) than it would be to copy/digitize analog signals particularly of the size required for 1080p. In fact I'd say leaving evrything analog would probably be there best copyright protection system to date! :lol:
                        Jason

Comment

• JKalman
                          • Nov 2005

Off topic post

Comment

• aud19
                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by JKalman
                            Still, the major reason for HDMI is HDCP compliant/certified hardware in order to protect intellectual property (both music and video - as opposed to DVI which is only video).
                            And my point is that it won't :lol: For all the reasons you listed that's it's easier/better/more efficient etc to keep things digital, those are the same reasons pirates prefer digital. LARGE analog data is a giant PITA to pirate :lol:

Piracy will happen no matter whether it's digital or analog but it's easier for pirates if it's digital. THAT's my point I'm not arguing any of the inherent bennefits of a one-wire, digital cable that handles both high-resolution video and audio, I just find it funny that it's raison d'être is copy-protection and to "kill" the "analog hole" but analog video would be more difficult to pirate :rofl:
                            Jason

Comment

• JKalman
                              • Nov 2005

Off topic post

Comment

• aud19
                                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2003

Let's stay on topic shall we :T
                                Jason

Comment

• JKalman
                                  • Nov 2005

Off topic post

Comment

• Chris D
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Dec 2000

I'm just coming to this post, so I missed all the bs drama, apparently.

Anyway, the 1.3 release is interesting. About time, too. Will be keeping an eye on the industry over the next 9 months.
                                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                    - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"