X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LenB123
    • Jun 2006

RCA Connector Question

I am setting up an LCD projector and I have to connect a "Y" adapter to the two audio (red/white) and the yellow video connectors from my DVD player. All I can find a Radio Shack are audio "Y" adapters, will those work with the yellow video signal, are RCA audio and video cables interchangable?
    Thanks,
    Len
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

First off, if you have a projector, you are going to want to run component video if possible, or HDMI or DVI. A yellow composite RCA connection will not yield good results on your projector image. Further, you cannot just split a 75 ohm video connection, it requires devices designed for splitting and sometimes amplifying the signal. It would seem you've got some learning to do here, you can start by listing your equipment in your profile, so we can better assist you. Then ask questions.

What video sources are you running? Cable? Directv? DVD? only DVD?

What DVD player and what projector do you have, and what inputs/outputs do they have?

Doug
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• LenB123
      • Jun 2006

RCA Question

I just purchased an Epson Home 20 LCD projector and I am running it off a DVD player. I thought I would send the yellow RCA to the LCD and the audio RCA's to the stereo aux input. If there is a better way can you direct me to a site that shows the hookup?
      Thank you,
      Len

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Len, as I said above, the yellow RCA is the lowest quality possible. HDMI, DVI, Component Video are the best connections. Followed by S-video. Below that is the straight yellow RCA, the lowest quality at about 220 lines of resolution. S-video gives about 280, component video and higher are capable of 480p (progressive) lines of resolution. 480P can display EDHDTV, but it takes 720 lines of resolution to display true HDTV. Only component, HDMI and DVI are capable of transmitting this. That is not saying your components will handle it. Really you need to eliminate S-video and straight yellow RCAs as much as possible, but if you have to, choose S-video above the yellow RCA.

I do not have time to look up your projector/DVD player(which you didn't give us), give us schematic of back connections, point to link, or whatever. But we need all devices, sources and the projector itself to be able to say what connections you can use.

I own a cable business and this forum, so trust me in what I am asking you.

Doug
        Doug

Comment

• KeithM
          • Oct 2005

I found the specs
          get a component video cable as said. As for the audio, the red/white audio cables will do until/if you get 5.1.

Comment

• Azeke
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2003

Hello Len and Welcome to HT Guide :welcome:

I must agree, if possible you would need to utilize component video connections, the video resolution will just knock your socks off, using component.

Is there any particular reason why you wish to use composite video, maybe we can assist you with your setup?

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

Thanks Keith. Yeah, surely his DVD player has that. However, he never stated fully what sources he wanted to use. But DVD is pretty much assumed with a projector of course. IF you get cable, strive for at least S-video. IT may be difficult to get local cable with better than S-video unless you go with their HD package. Directv can have component video. Let us know if we can help further.

Remember, I can build you a component video cable, see it at www.catcables.com.

ok, even though it did not list yes as component vid, they do picture it, so he can run DVD as component, or let a receiver or pre-pro do switching if he has component for TV too...

Doug
              Doug

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"