• Rolyasm
    • Dec 2004

Pre, Pre, Pre AHHHH

I am looking at these 4 units.
    Sherwood Newcastle P-965
    Adcom GTP-880
    Parasound 7100
    Halo C2

I don't think I want to spend much more that 2k for a pre, and the Sherwood I can get for around 1k. Are there any glaring differences between these, objective differences? I hear Sherwoods SNAP program and bass management are poor. Adcom doesn't have a great following. I know Halo is a great one, but is this hype or real. I read a few threads and somebody named Brent is supposedly able to get good deals on the Halo. If all these were priced the same, I guess everyone would choose Halo, but why? What makes it so much better than the 7100? I tried looking at Parasound.com and I don't even see the 7100. I guess it is an older model? I also don't see video upconversion on the C2. Am I just missing the spec ? I don't care much about the remote, as I am hoping whatever universal I get will take care of shortcomings on the remotes. I will be buying soon, so if you know of any deals or dealers who can price check these, please let me know.
    thanks a ton
    Roly
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Hey, Roly, I can address the two Parasound models you mentioned. Here is the link to the Halo C2:

And here is the link to the New Classic 7100:

Both are current models. The 7100 was actually released after the C2. The Halo models are Parasound's high-end models, whereas the 7100 gives you much of the same performance, but is more affordable. For example, take a look at the two back panels of the models below. While both give you component video inputs and outputs, the Halo C2 adds BNC connector capability. The C2 also adds XLR balanced connector capability to your amplifiers one balanced XLR audio source, and specialized things like programmable outputs so you can create custom speaker channels, extra subwoofers, tactile transducers, etc.

Here is the rear panel of the C2:

Here is the rear panel of the 7100:

Both models are THX Ultra 2 certified, both will give you exceptional 7.1 sound, both have all the current sound processing formats such as Dolby Pro Logic IIx, both have RS-232 control. You can add HDMI switching capability to both via Parasound's Zhd switcher unit. No, neither one does video upconversion, although this is on our "wish list" that we've sent to Parasound for possible future upgrades. Based on your listed budget, you may want to look more at the 7100 controller, unless you like the extra features, refined quality, and nice look of the Halo models. You mentioned the remotes--both Parasond models come with customizable "Universal Remote" brand remote controls, not remotes specific to Parasound. I have the C1, the big brother to the C2, and both of them come with the MX-700 remote, which I love and was going to buy anyway to control my system. So it actually saved me money, as I got it included with the Halo processor.

In general, Parasound will give you exceptional quality and sonic performance for the money that you spend, compared to other models of the same price. Talking specifically about the other two models you list, I haven't done direct comparisons, so I can't say. You may want to compare the specs just as a starter. Yes, as you discovered, Brent at Media Design can give you great deals on I think any of the models you listed. His ad banner is at the top of all these screens, and you can contact him through that.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Rolyasm
      • Dec 2004

I also guess I should have added the Emotiva DMC-1 to the list. I know MSRP is around $2400, but they offer deals all the time. I would think I could get it for around the price of the 7100 or the Adcom. I am interested in the side channels. Might give a great surround to my HT. It will be 90% HT. It does have balances outs, video upconversion, on-screen display. Quite a few features. It does have wood sides, which I am uncertain about. Isn't that kind of a cheap design, or does this benefit the model somehow? Still open to all suggestions on these 4, err, 5 models. I will be continuing my research also.
      Roly

Comment

• Rolyasm
        • Dec 2004

Hey Chris,
        I called Brent. Thanks. He does have some great deals. He did tell me that the 7100 has video upconversion, but the C2 doesn't. Was he confused about what I was asking or perhaps I didn't understand his response? However, he did elaborate and say he doesn't use that feature on his 7100 and lets the video component do that job, so I think I was following him. Perhaps it is one of the upgrades.
        Roly

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Whoops, yeah, hey, cool. The Parasound 7100 webpage lists this among the features:

Video Signals including OSD are up-converted to component
          Good to hear you called Brent. Hey, that Emotiva kinda looks neat. Just to point out, the C2 actually has *4* customizable channels, two of them fully, so you could do the side surrounds that the Emotiva features, plus even more, fully custom.

Whatever you decide, sounds like you're enjoying the journey. And when you do decide, just don't 2nd guess yourself and ruin it after you buy. Good you're doing research now.
          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Rolyasm
            • Dec 2004

Have you heard of anyone doing multiple side channels? I understand it might be hard to setup correctly and make sound good, but it seems like a cool idea. Are the 4 channels on the C2 like a second zone? Do you know if during the setup it offers a side channel calibration in the menu? I will take a look on Parasounds sight, maybe give them a call and check the forums. I wonder how the decoders would do with a 5.1 singal on an 9.1 system? Very interesting.

Roly

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

In the Halo models, you can create fully custom mixes from any or all of the other channels, so you can create side surrounds, ceiling speakers, 2nd zone duplicates of the mains, custom front and rear subwoofers, tactile transducers, etc. So for a right side surround, for example, you could mix maybe 75% right front, 25% right surround, set a level corresponding to the speaker sensitivity, and delay equal to the location distance from the main seating spot.

Do a search of Club Parasound if you're interested. We've had several discussions on this sort of thing. Keep searching on the other models too.
              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"