• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Initial CEDIA '08 report, new Parasound gear

You heard it here first. Here goes:

Teaser undercover pics posted here: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=31149. Stand by for professional photos and official press releases as Parasound releases.

First, we're finally getting the long-discussed P7 multichannel pre-amplifier, and it's shipping right now. It's the middle one in the rough pics, and the official website page is here: http://www.parasound.com/halo/p7.php

Next, we're getting THREE new HD processor models. One is a Halo pre/pro, one is a New Classic pre/pro, and one is actually a New Classic receiver. Take a good look at all the pictures. Notice anything? THEY'RE EXACTLY THE SAME MODEL, with these differences:
    1. Halo model has Halo casing, TWO pairs of balanced input, and one multichannel set of balanced outputs.
    2. New Classic model has NC casing.
    3. New Classic RECEIVER has onboard 7-channel amplifiers, two more amplified channels for a second zone, and an onboard radio tuner.

So here's what all three units have as common specs so far, as released in initial information:
    - 5 inputs, 1 output HDMI 1.3a, Deep Color, xvYCC
    - Decodes all audio formats, through HDMI and otherwise, including DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD. (note: I asked about the niche format of Windows Media Video High Def, and this is probably not included)
    - Can upscale (and transcode) all video from any source to 1080p over HDMI
    - Likely upscales to component video also, unknown resolution
    - Can display on-screen display on HDMI
    - Automatic room calibration and equalization
    - 3 independent audio zones
    - new front "portable input" jack
    - Pure analog routing options (you can choose to make ANY analog audio source straight pass-through, not just the multichannel inputs!)
    - Independent crossover settings for all speakers
    - Two pairs extra assignable fixed and variable outputs. (note that these are NOT the fully programmable channels in previous C1/C2 though)
    - Assignable outputs can downmix any surround channel input to 2-channel, so you can watch your BD in the theater in surround sound, or leave to the bedroom zone 2 and keep watching it fully downmized to stereo
    - Dual powered IR flasher outputs
    - Four 12V triggers (2 programmable)
    - Two-way RS-232
    - Rear special ipod player jack that will be able to stream PCM from the ipod as well as access song/metadata. This will be one of only two known units to have this!
    - 192khz audio processing
    - Dual Cirrus DSP chips - one decodes the bitstream, the other handles the post-processing
    - Faroudja video scalar
    - USB input for firmware updates, may possible enable computer customization like HaloControl
    - Improved bass management
    - multichannel analog inputs jacks are still straight passthrough
    - Still unsure whether Parasound will pursue THX certification
    - All S-video inputs have been eliminated except 1
    - 3 component inputs, 1 output
    - Zone 2 has composite video in addition to audio

Okay, so now a few things about each of the individual 3 models:

NEW CLASSIC RECEIVER:
    - Named HDR77
    - Retail Price ESTIMATE - "Under $3,000"
    - 140 Watts x 7 channels @ 8 Ohms
    - 250 Watts x 7 channels @ 4 Ohms
    - Additional zone 2 power, 30 Watts x 2 channels @ 8 Ohms
    - Additional zone 2 power, 140 Watts x 2 channels @ 8 Ohms (when zone 1 is 5.1)
    - AM/FM Tuner

NEW CLASSIC HD PROCESSOR:
    - Named HDP70
    - Retail Price ESTIMATE - "Under $2,500"
    - 2u size

HALO HD PROCESSOR:
    - Named C3
    - Retail Price ESTIMATE - "Under $3,500"
    - TWO pairs of lockable XLR jacks
    - 8 channel set of lockable XLR output jacks
    - 3u size

There's more, but I've GOT to go to bed. Long days with planned CEDIA events the next 3 days.
    Last edited by Chris D; 09 September 2008, 16:57 Tuesday.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Chris Rein
    • Nov 2003

Sweet!

Sounds like my C1 will go up to a C3 soon!

I just looked at the Parasound website for dealers. Is Mr. Huskins no longer around? Media Design is NOT on the dealer list. It's been a while, so I'm not sure. He didn't call me back about an issue I had with my A21, so maybe they are gone? :cry:

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Brent Huskins and Media Design are no longer Parasound dealers.

Only online seller of Parasound now is Audio Advisor, which is usually linked at the bottom of these HTGuide pages. (looks like "ads by Google")

I think I owe some long overdue responses to others about the situation as well.
      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Oh, and Chris, did you ever get a welcome banana for the club here? :banana:

I'm just posting real quick in CEDIA's internet lounge, headed out to a HT party. Will post more when I can, without cutting into sleep.
        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• mikepinkerton
          • Jun 2004

AWESOME!!!!!!

-Mike

Comment

• brodricj
            • Aug 2008

The best thing is C3 looks so much like C2 that I can swap my C2 for a C3 and wife will never know! Great thinking Parasound!

Edit: probably too late now, but it would be good if Parasound could do a cheaper version Halo C4, same as C3 but without the onboard Faroudja video capabilities. Except of couse for HDMI in and two selectable HDMI out. For those who use outboard video scalers, video souces go to the external scaler, then the scaler goes to C4 HDMI IN for audio decoding, then HDMI out 1 and 2 can go to separate displays.

Parasound, please sponsor a C3 module for Pronto Pro and I'll buy it!
            Last edited by brodricj; 07 September 2008, 00:35 Sunday.

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Okay, CEDIA over now. More info after I recouperate. (feeling sick, too)

But, as another teaser, since you guys aaaaaaaaaasked........................

Anybody interested in a Halo reference CD player?

How about a Halo BD player?

CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• hamtor
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Chris D

Yes and Yes!!!

Comment

• brodricj
                  • Aug 2008

How about a Halo Universal player that:
                  plays BR, DVD and CD; and
                  ethernet for CDDB, coverart and TCPIP control; and
                  carries all HD audio codecs with RCA outs so I don't have to retire my C2; and
                  capability to learn RS232 codes so I can plug in my external video scaler for seamless video source switching; and
                  develop a Pronto Pro module for it like Kaleidescape have done.

Comment

• Docray1
                    • Jan 2005

Brent Huskins and Media Design are no longer Parasound dealers.

Only online seller of Parasound now is Audio Advisor, which is usually linked at the bottom of these HTGuide pages. (looks like "ads by Google")

I think I owe some long overdue responses to others about the situation as well.
                    Chris,

I am interested in an update on Brent as well. Please PM me when you can.

Thanks

Comment

• Loffen
                      • Oct 2005

Okay, CEDIA over now. More info after I recouperate. (feeling sick, too)

But, as another teaser, since you guys aaaaaaaaaasked........................

Are you sure ?????? 8O

If so happy days are here again ;x(

Comment

• tallcool1
                        • Sep 2008

HDMI vs SDI

HDMI for video to a scaler? Aren't we all using SDI yet???

Comment

• bhuskins
                          • Aug 2003

Brent is here...just not dealing with Parasound anymore...we parted ways and that's really all there is to it...I'm still a silent sponsor here on the guide at least through the end of this year...I don't spend any time here so it's not to common for me to comment...I just didn't want to leave the guide hanging. If any of you need anything feel free to contact me via PM or email.

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

(hey, tallcool, welcome to the Guide and Club Parasound!) :banana:

Okay, more Parasound info from CEDIA:

- The new processor models are pretty much going to be ALL-NEW designs, not evolutions from the previous models. They are not based on the Da Vinci Lab Titan platforms, as the Finnish designs are becoming more and more expensive. Pretty much the only thing that will remain the same is the power source.

- The new processors were previously stated as New Year's, 2009, but officially at CEDIA, Parasound quoted "late 2008", and when I asked, said that they do really hope to have them out by then. Realistically, I'm guessing mid 1Q-2009, but I'm wrong plenty.

- The new processor models will have BOTH auto-calibration AND auto-EQ capability. (for those not familiar, this means it will CALIBRATE your setup for you, setting speaker and subwoofer distances and volume levels, as well as EQUALIZE your setup for you, where you shoot for a nice flat room response across the audible frequency spectrum, in as large a seating area as possible)

- The auto-cal will be similar to the previous function in the C1, C2. The auto-EQ will NOT be Audyssey brand processing, but reportedly will have similar features. It will be a function of the dual-Cirrus chips. I've been trying to do some research to see what this offers, (i.e. multiple sampling locations?) but haven't found too much yet.

- Yes, you will be able to set the two programmable triggers to actuate via a selected DSP mode now, in addition to other things. So one popular requested application for this is to have a 5-channel amp always set up to play the audio output in a 5.1 application, and then auto-turn-on an additional 2-channel amp if you're using a 6.1 or 7.1 sound mode. Or vice-versa, always use a 2-channel for stereo audio listening, and auto-turn-on another 5-channel amp for home theater use.

- I personally have never seen the kind of binding posts before, used in the new HDR77 receiver. They're nice and beefy, hold well, and look good. I think those who buy the HDR 77 will like them.

- All three processor/receivers are intended to REPLACE the current models, not supplement them. So that means that the C1, C2, and 7100 will be discontinued. C2's are already sold out from the master warehouse stock. There are a handful of C1's left, and 7100 inventory may last until the end of the year.

- Thus, we will not see any more updates for the C1, C2, or 7100.

**************** MODEL CHANGES/DIFFERENCES **********************

- We're going to be seeing some evolutionary updates to both New Classic and the Halo gear. Some of it will be aesthetics, as Parasound works to make their gear better and better looking. So the new C3 will have a slightly different VFD display than used in the C2. How it will compare/match with the T3, D3, etc, remains to be seen.

- The C3 halo knob appearance is still in-works, but likely will be as-displayed at the show, which is the previous brushed aluminum face, but a sandblasted side. Looks kinda nice. It will have the same dual-function, volume or change between input sources

- The "source" button lighting will be slightly different, though. Before, if you pressed it, it turned from the blue halo to a brighter blue, letting you know the knob now switched sources. Now, it will turn amber, more clearly letting you know which state the front knob is in.

- The Halo mute button will now turn red when pressed.

- There will be a slight bevel in the front C3 panel, just around the knob, and another around the VFD display to add to the appearance.

- There will be a blue halo light around the C3 knob. I think it's going to look sweeeeeet....

- The C3 Halo button trough is sandblasted. It looked slightly different from what I remember on previous models, but that might just be me.

- On the New Classic HDP70 and HDR77, there will be a slightly different feel to the knob, and slightly different lighting colors. The panel corners are now slightly rounded, and there is new type fonts for the panel lettering.

- For all three units, by contract Parasound is obligated to place the DTS-HD, HDMI, and Dolby TruHD logos on the front panel. Other than that, they want to keep it clean-looking, and we likely won't see anything else like that printed.

- Current amplifiers are going to get some updates, too. Updated versions will likely keep the same model designation, maybe with a new version. (i.e. A21 v.2)

- New classic amps will lose the auto-turn-on knob, as Parasound feels that they have found a perfect setting that works.

- NC 5-channel amps (i.e. 5250) will add a "gain boost" switch. I understood the problem to be that some other brands people use as pre/pros, from a certain nationality, have a very anemic output, and this will help put an "oomph" into the signal.

- All amps will lose the ground lift switch, due to new evolutionary designs brought in by Tom DeFiglio that make them unnecessary. (will be interesting to hear more about this!)

- We will see some evolutionary updates to the way the new processors switch to surround modes. Previously, if you were listening to a stereo source and selected "direct", then played a 5-channel source and selected "Concert Hall", (for whatever reason because you're brain damaged) and then played another stereo source, it would automatically switch back to "direct" as the previously selected audio mode for that source and material. There was memory, which many, but not all of us appreciated. This reportedly will be improved further. I strongly advocated that Parasound make this part of the computer-capable customization of the units.

- The new processors will have several discrete surround modes. This means that you'll be able to program your programmable remote so, for example, when you push a button, it automatically switches to DPLIIx Cinema mode, without having to cycle through all the possible DSP's.

- You'll now be able to independently select different crossover settings for different pairs of speakers. (did I mention this already?) i.e, you can have your mains set to cross over at 40 Hz because they're big and capable, but cross over your rear surrounds at 80 Hz

************** FUTURE MODELS *****************

- Parasound is putting out new, stronger, brackets for the in-wall speakers. Good prices, too, like $15, negotiable if you buy the speakers as a package.

- A reference Halo CD player in the JC line is in-works, and a definite possibility for future production

- A Halo BD player is also a definite possibility now that BD is becoming less of a hassle to produce, I'd say summer 2009 at the earliest.

- We will be seeing a continuation of the Zcustom series line, with possible new future models. One that got mentioned is a new 4-channel digital Z amp for multiroom audio installations. I asked again about a Z-series CD player. They're working on it, but say it's difficult to package it in a Z unit.

(notice how many things here and the specs in the new C3 came from the Wish List you guys have put together over the years here in Club Parasound? Hmmmm.... I think somebody occasionally keeps an eye on us)
                            Last edited by Chris D; 09 September 2008, 14:28 Tuesday.
                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• jnwarner
                              • Feb 2005

Thanks Chris for your updates. It is very exciting. I wonder when this will all become official on the Parasound site and we can see real hi-res photo, etc? Did you notice what kind of remote the new C3 is using?

Jim

Comment

• brodricj
                                • Aug 2008

...notice how many things here and the specs in the new C3 came from the Wish List you guys have put together over the years here in Club Parasound?
                                Yeah, but too bad the stuff from the wish list that is do-able in firmware and Halo setup wasn't done for C1 or C2.

Hope the C3 has a set of inputs on the front end behind a drop down panel.

Comment

• cameronl
                                  • Jul 2004

thanks for the updates Chris

CaM

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2006

The auto-cal will be similar to the previous function in the C1, C2. The auto-EQ will NOT be Audyssey brand processing, but reportedly will have similar features. It will be a function of the dual-Cirrus chips. I've been trying to do some research to see what this offers, (i.e. multiple sampling locations?) but haven't found too much yet.
                                    I do not know what Parasound had before but Cirrus' previous version of autoEQ was woeful. Let's hope they have learned something.

Kal
                                    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Chris D
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Dec 2000

Originally posted by jnwarner
                                      Thanks Chris for your updates. It is very exciting.
                                      You betcha! :T I'm here for you guys, as a fellow Parasound enthusiast.

I wonder when this will all become official on the Parasound site and we can see real hi-res photo, etc?
                                      Good question, and I don't know the answer. I hope to scoop a high-res pic from the Parasound bubbas very soon for all of us.

Did you notice what kind of remote the new C3 is using?

Jim
                                      Ah, yes, thanks, I had forgot. We did talk this over at CEDIA. Parasound doesn't know, yet, which remote they'll be including. Since all three new models are the same, though, with a few variations, I wouldn't be surprised if we get the same remote for all three. But most likely, it will NOT be something in the class of the previous MX-700, with any computer programming capability. Parasound had found that people would just use it to learn the function codes into their other, high-end programmable remote, and then throw/put it away. So, they don't want to jack up the cost of the entire processor by $500, just for the remote that many won't even use. Instead, most likely we'll see a remote of a similiar class to the current one shipping with the C1/C2. (I think it's the URC MF-30?)

Me personally, when I bought my C1, I was also looking at getting a nice remote at the same time, so I thought the inclusion of the MX-700 was a bonus, getting something for "free" that I was already planning on getting. However, now that I have other high-end remote controls, I probably wouldn't use any remote included with the C3, either.

Side note: anyone that still owns the MX-700, hang on to it, URC says it's now a collector's item. And especially if you still have your Sidekick remote, hang on to that, it's apparently worth some $$$ now!

Originally posted by brodricj
                                      Yeah, but too bad the stuff from the wish list that is do-able in firmware and Halo setup wasn't done for C1 or C2.

Hope the C3 has a set of inputs on the front end behind a drop down panel.
                                      No, none of the three new processors have a drop front panel, just the portable input jack on the front.

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                                      I do not know what Parasound had before but Cirrus' previous version of autoEQ was woeful. Let's hope they have learned something.

Kal
                                      Yeah, and I have very little knowledge of previous Cirrus processing functions, like EQ. Honestly, what I've read so far, though, hasn't been too impressive. So I really hope that this new iteration is very capable.

My own personal opinion thoughts here: Parasound definitely had winners in the C1, C2, and 7100. I think it's understandable, and a good move that Parasound is looking to make these receivers/processors even more affordable before, bringing us great performance at an even lower price point. Since these new models are almost ALL new, and with new processing, there's a lot of unknowns about to come up. Either the new components and processing will be duds, and we'll get sub-par products, or we'll get better stuff than ever at better prices!

While I want all the "toys", of course, like MultiEQ, transcoding, and upconverting, at the core, more than anything, these new units need to provide superior AUDIO and VIDEO QUALITY. That's what it's really all about. Let's wait, hope, and see!
                                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• pichonCalavera
                                        • Apr 2008

Hey, thanks for the info!, good to know the Zcustom line is getting some attention.

Comment

• Vince Helm
                                          • Mar 2006

Thanks for all that you do for us Chris!!

Okay, more Parasound info from CEDIA:

- The "source" button lighting will be slightly different, though. Before, if you pressed it, it turned from the blue halo to a brighter blue, letting you know the knob now switched sources. Now, it will turn amber, more clearly letting you know which state the front knob is in.
                                          That is a nice feature, however I hope this will not carry over to the amps. We do not need the amber color on the amps when they are "on". Please keep the soft blue / bright blue feature.

- The Halo mute button will now turn red when pressed.
                                          Good.

- For all three units, by contract Parasound is obligated to place the DTS-HD, HDMI, and Dolby TruHD logos on the front panel. Other than that, they want to keep it clean-looking, and we likely won't see anything else like that printed.
                                          That's too bad. The C2/C1 looked so clean from all that clutter. You know what would be nice... The could use stickers like the PC mfgs do and that way we can all pull off the sticker for a cleaner look.

- Current amplifiers are going to get some updates, too. Updated versions will likely keep the same model designation, maybe with a new version. (i.e. A21 v.2)
                                          Leave it "A21" and put v.2 stamped into the top plate, just to the right of the "PARASOUND" embossing. Or on the top plate, but at the rear, just over the in/out area.

- All amps will lose the ground lift switch, due to new evolutionary designs brought in by Tom DeFiglio that make them unnecessary. (will be interesting to hear more about this!)
                                          I wonder if existing amps can be modified?

************** FUTURE MODELS *****************

- A reference Halo CD player in the JC line is in-works, and a definite possibility for future production
                                          This would be great... I am a bit concerned about the SQ of a complete Halo system as Richard has said that they are shooting for that dead neutral sound and the JC1/JC2 combo comes highly recommended but with the caution of "system matching" or careful selection of cables as the combo can be a bit on the thin/lean side. Hey, maybe they'll throw in a few tubes?

- A Halo BD player is also a definite possibility now that BD is becoming less of a hassle to produce, I'd say summer 2009 at the earliest.
                                          GREAT!!! I would like to see the CD player do all the audio only formats and the BD player focus more on just video.

Vince

PS - I would also like to see a Halo (A23 size) power center. Not any filtering, but spike/surge protection and multiple outlets.

Vince
                                          Last edited by Chris D; 11 September 2008, 15:35 Thursday.

Comment

• yellowbalt
                                            • Sep 2008

Hi Chris,
                                            New member and new owner of A51 here, although I haven't pickup my new A51. Is it worth to get my A51 or just wait for the new version.
                                            Thanks,
                                            Danny

Comment

• Chris D
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Dec 2000

Vince, just so you know, I helped you out making your "QUOTE" tags work.

Originally posted by Vince Helm
                                              Thanks for all that you do for us Chris!!
                                              You bet. I appreciate it the kudos, but I hope you guys know that's not why I do this.

That is a nice feature, however I hope this will not carry over to the amps. We do not need the amber color on the amps when they are "on". Please keep the soft blue / bright blue feature.
                                              I'm pretty sure the normal, "steady state" of the C3 and amps will still be all blue with the red Parasound "P" at the top, just like always. I think any other colors will just be for temporary states like mute, changing inputs, or overheat.

PS - I would also like to see a Halo (A23 size) power center. Not any filtering, but spike/surge protection and multiple outlets.

Vince
                                              Hey, that would be AWESOME. A Halo power conditioner? That would be freakin' sweet--don't know why I didn't think of that. You should add that to the wish list!

Originally posted by yellowbait
                                              Hi Chris,
                                              New member and new owner of A51 here, although I haven't pickup my new A51. Is it worth to get my A51 or just wait for the new version.
                                              Thanks,
                                              Danny
                                              Hey, Danny, welcome to the Guide and Club Parasound! :banana: Nobody knows for sure, of course, until the new units are released, but based on indications from the discussions I had, I'm not guessing that the new versions will be dramatically changed from the current versions. Just minor evolutionary improvements. There wasn't any talk, either, of when exactly the new amp versions will start showing up. I'm not worried enough to consider replacing mine--I think if I were in your shoes, I'd just go ahead and get a current amp. Hope that helps.
                                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• blownrx7
                                                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by yellowbalt
                                                Hi Chris,
                                                Thanks,
                                                Danny
                                                Danny,
                                                Throwing my two cents in here (ok probably worth less than that)
                                                I would just go with the A51.
                                                First, who knows when Parasound will release it...
                                                Second, the A51 is a great amp and despite what companies try to say about amplifier technology, the improvement in sound will probably be incremental at best.
                                                Third, while the new amp will "probably" be better, I doubt it will be nearly as cost-effective a purchase as getting the A51 now.
                                                Disclosure: I own an A51 and don't have any plans to replace it (at least for now). <-------- audio-manic nervosa

Comment

• yellowbalt
                                                  • Sep 2008

Thanks Chris, blowrx,
                                                  I'm just trying to avoid the thought of telling myself I could have waited more. The reason for my getting this system is to make one purchase and get the "best" for this price-range but as I noticed most of the times, the upgraded one will be better than the old one especially nowadays that technology is getting better and cheaper.

Originally posted by blownrx7
                                                  Danny,
                                                  Throwing my two cents in here (ok probably worth less than that)
                                                  I would just go with the A51.
                                                  First, who knows when Parasound will release it...
                                                  Second, the A51 is a great amp and despite what companies try to say about amplifier technology, the improvement in sound will probably be incremental at best.
                                                  Third, while the new amp will "probably" be better, I doubt it will be nearly as cost-effective a purchase as getting the A51 now.
                                                  Disclosure: I own an A51 and don't have any plans to replace it (at least for now). <-------- audio-manic nervosa

Comment

• pal1982
                                                    • Apr 2008

Chris it was awesome too see all the info you've got on here. I was unable to make it to CEDIA, i am running 2 showrooms... 1 in S.W. Florida the other in Nashville Tennessee (my newest project!) I am excited to see Parasound do a receiver... its about time we get to see ARCAM and B&K and even Denon get some run for their money! I would actually like to set one of those in the the theater room with the C3 to run the in-wall system. The C3 does the floor standing Dynaudio's.
                                                    Did Paul or any of the other guys say anything about what possible updates could be done through the jack in the front?
                                                    We've been a Parasound dealer now for 6 years and they are one of the best lines for affordable and just stellar performance! Never had anything come back or no issues! Great forum by the way!

Comment

• pal1982
                                                      • Apr 2008

One other thing... any word or did they have one of the new A51's that they are doing some of the minor cosmetic changes too?

Comment

• Chris D
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Dec 2000

Heya, pal1982, welcome to the Guide and Club Parasound! :banana: No updates would be possible through the jack in the front. The jacks would be for the auto-cal microphone, headphones, and a input jack, like for an MP3 player. Any updates would be by the USB port in the back of all three units.

For the new amp modifications, no, they didn't have any on display. We just talked about it, verbally, and it didn't come up as to when the updates are going to happen.
                                                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• pal1982
                                                          • Apr 2008

Heya, pal1982, welcome to the Guide and Club Parasound! :banana: No updates would be possible through the jack in the front. The jacks would be for the auto-cal microphone, headphones, and a input jack, like for an MP3 player. Any updates would be by the USB port in the back of all three units.

For the new amp modifications, no, they didn't have any on display. We just talked about it, verbally, and it didn't come up as to when the updates are going to happen.
                                                          i wonder than what they have in mind, seems like a better idea than the expansion bay that they did before... software update just seems to work better

Comment

• brodricj
                                                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by pal1982
                                                            i wonder than what they have in mind, seems like a better idea than the expansion bay that they did before... software update just seems to work better
                                                            The expansion bay that they did on C1/C2 was a good idea, if they'd bothered to go about building something to bolt in there. I would have been happy with just HDMI IN, strip the audio out, passthrough the video to HDMI OUT, put in a new board with the HD codecs, tie it into the DSP board, and all would have been sweet. And there you have it, an up-to-date AV controller. It should have been straight forward enough to do but they chose not to, thus letting down their customers who bought C1/C2 for its "upgradeability". But it would have stolen sales to existing customers doing the upgrade rather than buying a new model controller :a> I spent alot of money on my C2 despite not really being able to afford it, thinking it would do me many years of service due to it's upgrade ability in both software and hardware. Except for one minor software upgrade Parasound didn't deliver.

I feel let down in this regard. I have an excellent C2, and I want to keep it, but now I'll probably decide to buy something else like the Cary IIa or Denon AVP-A1HDci. I hope Parasound will have a generous upgrade offer for existing customers to tempt me to stay in the Parasound family (much like what DVDO does), but I won't hold my breath.

I really hope Richard Schram reads this forum.

Comment

• TommyV
                                                              • Feb 2007

Hello,

Will the NewClassic processor HDP 70 be available in silver? There are no pics of the NewClassic series in silver on the Parasound site but I found some on Audio Advisor.

Any word on pricing? Thanks.

Comment

• pal1982
                                                                • Apr 2008

Silver for all intents and purposes is usually for the over seas market... we only saw the silver come over hear when they were clearing out of it. I would probably bet not.

Comment

• TommyV
                                                                  • Feb 2007

So the silver units on Audio Advisor are EU models? Well maybe I will consider one when they are clearing out the next batch :roll:

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Dec 2000

Does NC silver exist? Yes. Hard to get? Yes. Still available? Yes.

Now, I didn't think to ask the Parasound fellas whether the new models will also be made in silver or not. I'll ask whenever I talk to them next.

brodricj, you've got a very valid point, that we've heard from more than one Club member. Looking at it objectively, in the 5-6 year lifespan of the C1 and C2, there was one major firmware update, and no hardware updates using the built-in expansion port. How people compare that to other manufacturers, and whether they want to consider that for future purchases, that's up to you guys.

pal1982, you've got a couple of PM's.
                                                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• rocasi
                                                                      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by bhuskins
                                                                      Brent is here...just not dealing with Parasound anymore...we parted ways and that's really all there is to it...I'm still a silent sponsor here on the guide at least through the end of this year...I don't spend any time here so it's not to common for me to comment...I just didn't want to leave the guide hanging. If any of you need anything feel free to contact me via PM or email.
                                                                      Brent:
                                                                      I sent you an IM, please drop me a line.

Rudy
                                                                      My system: http://www.prontoweb.com/klipsch_HT.htm

Comment

• TommyV
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Feb 2007

Does NC silver exist? Yes. Hard to get? Yes. Still available? Yes.

Now, I didn't think to ask the Parasound fellas whether the new models will also be made in silver or not. I'll ask whenever I talk to them next.
                                                                        Thank you Chris. I had my card out about to order a silver 5125 before I thought I better check to make sure I could get a matching processor first. I think the Parasound NewClassic series looks amazing in silver.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Dec 2000
                                                                          • 16877

Ummmmm.... yeah, I'll just say that I completely agree, that the NC looks better in silver.
                                                                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                            • Dec 2000
                                                                            • 16877

Originally posted by TommyV
                                                                            Hello,

Will the NewClassic processor HDP 70 be available in silver? There are no pics of the NewClassic series in silver on the Parasound site but I found some on Audio Advisor.

Any word on pricing? Thanks.
                                                                            Oh, and Tommy, the best pricing estimates so far are in the 1st post in this thread. For the HDP70, "Under $2,500".
                                                                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• teachsac
                                                                              Junior Member
                                                                              • Sep 2008
                                                                              • 4

#39
                                                                              Hola everyone,

Noob here to the forum but a long time Parasound owner. Used to have an avc-2500 until I got into HDM. SO long in fact that I had to replace the HD video input board. Never could find the u update for an analog audio volume control. Anyways.... Unfortunately they didn't have a processor out or I would have snagged one up instead of the Integra 9.8. I am looking forward to the new lineup.

S~

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                • Dec 2000
                                                                                • 16877

#40
                                                                                Heya, teachsac, welcome to the Guide and Club Parasound! :banana:
                                                                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Vince Helm
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Mar 2006
                                                                                  • 134

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by brodricj
                                                                                  The expansion bay that they did on C1/C2 was a good idea, if they'd bothered to go about building something to bolt in there. I would have been happy with just HDMI IN, strip the audio out, passthrough the video to HDMI OUT, put in a new board with the HD codecs, tie it into the DSP board, and all would have been sweet. And there you have it, an up-to-date AV controller. It should have been straight forward enough to do but they chose not to, thus letting down their customers who bought C1/C2 for its "upgradeability". But it would have stolen sales to existing customers doing the upgrade rather than buying a new model controller :a> I spent alot of money on my C2 despite not really being able to afford it, thinking it would do me many years of service due to it's upgrade ability in both software and hardware. Except for one minor software upgrade Parasound didn't deliver.

I feel let down in this regard. I have an excellent C2, and I want to keep it, but now I'll probably decide to buy something else like the Cary IIa or Denon AVP-A1HDci. I hope Parasound will have a generous upgrade offer for existing customers to tempt me to stay in the Parasound family (much like what DVDO does), but I won't hold my breath.

I really hope Richard Schram reads this forum.
                                                                                  Could not have said it better myself!!! Back in 2003, I was shopping for a receiver and ended up spending $8000.00 on Halo gear, mostly because of the C2 and upgrade path that was so prominent in the C2 owners manual, reviews and lit. I love my Halo gear but will not move to the C3. My rear end is chapped, but I'll get over it. ;s@ 8O :lol:

Kind regards
                                                                                  Vince

Comment

• bhuskins
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Aug 2003
                                                                                    • 504

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by rocasi
                                                                                    Brent:
                                                                                    I sent you an IM, please drop me a line.

Rudy

Hi Rudy...email sent...thanks

Comment

• P-Stone
                                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                                      • Feb 2004
                                                                                      • 24

#43
                                                                                      Thanks, Chris
                                                                                      Do you know if the C3 will be multi-voltage, like the C1 and C2?

P..

Comment

• Bassman
                                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                                        • Oct 2006
                                                                                        • 2

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by Vince Helm
                                                                                        Could not have said it better myself!!! Back in 2003, I was shopping for a receiver and ended up spending $8000.00 on Halo gear, mostly because of the C2 and upgrade path that was so prominent in the C2 owners manual, reviews and lit. I love my Halo gear but will not move to the C3. My rear end is chapped, but I'll get over it. ;s@ 8O :lol:

Kind regards
                                                                                        Vince
                                                                                        This and a previous post reflect my disappointment with Parasound about the lack of upgrades to the C1 when I consider the amount of money I've spent on it.

Bassman

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                          • Dec 2000
                                                                                          • 16877

#45
                                                                                          Originally posted by P-Stone
                                                                                          Thanks, Chris
                                                                                          Do you know if the C3 will be multi-voltage, like the C1 and C2?

P..
                                                                                          Don't know for sure, but I would be really suprised if any of the new processors are NOT multi-voltage.
                                                                                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"