X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • netarc
    • Jul 2003

Looking for "wide dispersion" surround speakers

Due to my room layout & seating position, I can't accomodate side-wall mounted dipolar speakers; so for the past few years I've been using direct radiator tower speakers as the LS/RS. Since the seating position is so close to the surrounds, though, this has proved less than ideal.

Long story short, I've sold my 5spkr setup and am demo'ing new speakers for L/C/R; for the rears, though, I came across Mirage's "omnipolar" speakers, and thought that such a speaker could well work more effectively as a surround in my environment, since it's somewhere between a direct-radiator and di-pole in its dispersion pattern.

So, I was all set to pick up a pair of the Mirage Omni 50's ... alas, Mirage has for some reason discontinued this well-regarded monitor, and all indications are that they're not replacing it with anything comparable!?! Blast....too, the Omni's are hard to come by on the 2nd-hand market, afaikt.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions, then, for other speakers (preferably monitors) that employ a "omnipolar"-type (or similar) drivers? The only other option I've been able to find is Mirage's Omnisat v2 ... but I don't know much about this particular model, so looking for other options to rank against it.
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Netarc,

I feel you pain, I own a pair of Mirage OM-7s with the omni-polar technology. I love the sound it produces, it is however an acquired taste.

Mirage is always updating their speaker technology while maintaining their patented Omnipolar technology. Here is the URL: Mirage Speakers .

You might also want to check out Definitive Technology speakers as an alternative.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• netarc
      • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Azeke
      You might also want to check out Definitive Technology speakers as an alternative.
      Def Tech? I thought they were a traditional direct-radiator, no? I'll have to check out their website to confirm...thanks for the pointer!

Comment

• Audiophiliac
        • Apr 2006

Electrostats. We need a diagram or more detail of your room and speakers now.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

audiophiliac, I'm glad you brought that up. How to electrostats (or magnetic planar) speakers do as surround speakers with wide dispersion sound? They're not as directional as traditional speakers, right? But are they wide enough to function like dipoles, etc?
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Audiophiliac
            • Apr 2006

They ARE dipoles. And they do great in surround sound systems.

Comment

• netarc
              • Jul 2003

*Are* there monitor/bookshelf-type electrostatic speakers?

Comment

• Audiophiliac
                • Apr 2006

Unfortunately not. The EL panels are too large to fit in a small enough package. Martin Logan makes the Script which is wall mountable, but no where near a bookshelf.

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Yeah, I saw both Magnepan and Martin Logan's models for adapting their technology to speakers intended to be for center channels and surround channels.

My personal goal is to have a 7.1 system of all electrostat or magnetic planar speakers. Thinking specifically about the four surround channels, though, I've been wondering how well they would function mounted on the wall. Would you hear surround material more directionally from the speakers than traditional speakers, or would they be just as enveloping, putting the surround material AROUND you?
                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Audiophiliac
                    • Apr 2006

The mounts for the Scripts allow the panels to be at least a foot off the wall. And you can angle them I think all the way to 90 degrees. All I know, is when we had our Martin Logan 5.1 setup it was awesome!

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Cool... since surround speakers are supposed to be non-directional, is that the way it worked for you?
                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Audiophiliac
                        • Apr 2006

It works well and probably better than other dipoles. The ML Theater and Cinema center channels are amazing too. Dialog hasnt been so clear and crisp. I tell you...some people just dont "get" the electrostat sound. It is different. But if you like it, you really really like it. If not, oh well.

I think it has its ups and downs, but way more ups. And price/performance, Martin Logan are some of the best values out there. Even $10k for the Summit seems like a bargain compared to other $10k speakers.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"