Looking for a system $1000-$1500 price range.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maseline_98
    • Apr 2005

Looking for a system $1000-$1500 price range.

My buddy's g/f has asked me to find her a "small system"(she lives in a "small" condo) for around $1000-$1500. I saw in the best buy ad today that they paired a Yammi receiver(HTR-5840) w/ some Klipsch Quintet IIIs for $1000. I'm not a real fan of HT in a box, but those seem like an okay matching for the price. My friend and his g/f are dead set on this bose BS. I have no idea why people like bose so much...I think the company takes the xtra money that they make for overprices to brainwash potential new customers...Any suggestions?

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
    Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

• Mar 2006

You can't deny the fact that Bose did do a fabulous job on marketing after you hear so many people wanted to get a set of it even though its price and performance ratio is terrible :
    Tell them that Bose is a daughter company of Klipsch may drive their mind out of the marketing brainwash. I believe that they do not have many space for speakers, Quintet is not a bad choice afterall. But try to go for some reciever with auto calibration as it should be only $50-100 more than the HTR5840, unless you plan on helping them to calibrate whenever they move the speakers from time to time.
    Pioneer KRP-500M
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Parasound 5125
    Oppo BDP-83
    Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
    SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• maseline_98
      • Apr 2005

I can show them how to calibrate if they decide to move things around(i guess). The $1K price is set as a package deal. seperately it would probably be around $1300.

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
      Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
        • May 2004

Check out www.audioadvisor.com for some good deals on bookshelves, usually on sale, Athenas are pretty good. Then get an entry level receiver at CC for around $250. That should sound pretty good and well within your budget. I guarantee it will blow any Bose system away.
        Steel

Comment

• maseline_98
          • Apr 2005

So you think that I should recommend the box set from BB?

Comment

• brac
            • Aug 2005

Just say no to the box!!!! Sherwood makes lots of gear and some of it even has their own name on it. That could get them in to a good receiver for cheap. Have you considered haveing a look for some mid-fi used speakers instead of lo-fi mini's.
            I just installed some of my old gear for a friend gave him a full set up under $500 dollars. (it replaced a HT in a box) They are so amazed at how good it sounds. Oh and did I mention it's a decent JVC receiver, kenwood 6 +1 CD, kenwood dvd player, Cerwin vega surrounds, and the cream de la creme... white van speakers.
            Did I mention it blows away the HT in a Box.

Brac

Comment

• Alaric
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

Bose!!!!!!

Tell your friend I sold Blose for 6 months , and the only thing they have for $1000 is a two speaker+Acoustimess psuedo-surround system. For a Blose 5.1 you are looking at $2800 (roughly) minimum. Or you can get the Lifestyle system for around $3800 wasted dollars. That's for current models , I can't speak for obsolete models left on dealer's shelves (gotta be quite a few) As for the sound quality , see my boiling cat reference in another thread.
              Those who sell Bose in the mass-market retail trade have a quaint little phrase-No highs , no lows , must be Blose. My pair of Paradigm Studio 60s hooked up to a 27" Panasonic TV have far better range and imaging than any Bose system I have ever heard. PM me and I'll give you my phone number and tell you where I worked. I won't recommend a retailer and have no stake in this at all.I would just hate to have one more person think "high end" audio is a rip-off.
              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
              Schiit Modi 3
              Marantz CD5005
              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• wkhanna
                Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

IOW....

Fiends don’t let friends buy Blose
                _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• maseline_98
                  • Apr 2005

Oh..i'm definately not going to let them buy bose...i'll give them a friendship ultimatum or something....lol...they're probably going to use it 80% music, 20% movies...

Comment

• Alaric
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Jan 2006

80% music?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest spending at least $.50 a foot on speaker cable and talk to Doug (Lex) about interconnects. If the sound don't reach the speakers - who cares how good it was leaving the disc player? Also , at %80 music , it might be worth looking into good main speakers and settling for "ok" surrounds. Personal taste call , there.

P.S. I spent a BUNCH more on speaker cable but an EE who frequents this forum has me questioning that......I now figure you can always spend more , but if less is all you need.......Thanks V!
                    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                    Schiit Modi 3
                    Marantz CD5005
                    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Snap
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Feb 2005

a 1500 Idea

RXV-559BL Yamaha Receiver comes with IPOD ready, and XM. Great little receiver. $399

Jamo A320 5.1 surround sound system. $600 for 5 speakers and the sub.

Yamaha Single disk or Denon single disk DVD player $150 That leaves 350 for cables and the IPOD docking station.

That would be a smoking hot system for 1500 bucks!
                      The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• maseline_98
                        • Apr 2005

What is a Jamo A320 and where would I be able to get it(I'm in the Pittsburgh Area)? Also, these new receivers say, 'iPod Ready'. I'm not even sure what that means...I have my iPod hooked up to my receiver through a headphone to RCA splitter(seems to work fine).

Comment

• Vinny
                          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by maseline_98
                          What is a Jamo A320 and where would I be able to get it(I'm in the Pittsburgh Area)? Also, these new receivers say, 'iPod Ready'. I'm not even sure what that means...I have my iPod hooked up to my receiver through a headphone to RCA splitter(seems to work fine).
                          Most ipod ready reciever termed it as they have a cradle(maybe another purchase like $50, H/K does it) which can connect to the ipod directly like the dockstation.
                          I wonder these recievers pretty much made for the presence of iPod but they are in piano black (not even silver) while most ipods are in white :roll:
                          Pioneer KRP-500M
                          Emotiva UMC-1
                          Parasound 5125
                          Oppo BDP-83
                          Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
                          SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• maseline_98
                            • Apr 2005

Griffin is bring out this thing called a TuneCenter....it is a cradle and projects the iPod interface onto your TV. It's going to be our on 4/20 and will cost $99...that's why i was wondering about the "iPod-Ready". Didn't know if the "iPod-Ready" receivers had this ability.

Comment

• Snap
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Feb 2005

You can do a dealer search on Jamo's website. They are a very good speaker company that has great service and pricing.

IPOD ready, like some one mentioned before you by the Yamaha "Bridge" it is the docking station for the IPOD. It allows the remote for the receiver to control your IPOD. Also displayes your IPOD info on the monitor, as well as charges your IPOD. So it is a pretty cool gig for 90 bucks!

HK 40 series receivers have the same thing. (140, 240 and up.)

Some one also mentioned IPOD colors.... mine is black. I never see a Marine running around with anything but black. But that is in my neck of the woods.
                              The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• Azeke
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Mar 2003

I have a friend who seems to like this setup:

Orb Audio

Just a thought.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"