• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peterS
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

starting in the industry

for those who are in the industry, how did you get started
    i ask because with just a semester or two left in my major ive decided to switch to EE because i like it so much 8O
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Actually, I kind of back-doored my way in. I contacted an A/V magazine about writing for them, and got hired. Since then, I've made friends in the industry and have branched out. It has virtually nothing to do with my education--I majored in math with a strong and broad engineering background at the Air Force Academy, so that has come in handy in discussions and research with various companies about their products.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Shane Martin
      Super Senior Member
      • Apr 2001

To me working in an industry that you love is great but the pitfall is that it can burn you out on your hobby as well. Most people you end up talking to do not share your enthusiasm thus they tend to just buy what they like when can be things that you flat out hate such as Bose.

I know too many people who took their hobby to the next level and ended up not an enthusiast when they once were. To me that would ruin my hobby.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

True, Shane. I've kept that in the back of my mind, and tried not to go overboard in my involvement so that I get burned out. Now that I'm officially part of the industry, it's still just as a 2nd job kind of thing. I'd be very hesitant to make the A/V industry my primary job.

Same thing with my interest in motorsports. Fun to be involved in, but I wouldn't want it to be my primary income.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• peterS
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Shane Martin
          Most people you end up talking to do not share your enthusiasm thus they tend to just buy what they like when can be things that you flat out hate such as Bose.
          good point
          this is why i quit architecture-

Comment

• brac
            • Aug 2005

I am trying to get into the business, Have had a few people who saw my HT sho interest and am starting this weekend my selling and installing my old gear for someone. I have also worked a deal to be able to Distribute for quite a few companies.
            Wish me well.

There really is noone in this area doing anything high-end, so it may be a gamble but we'll see.
            Brac

Comment

• Cowanrg
              • Feb 2004

i started out working for ultimate electronics, yuck. this was SEVERAL years ago when they were semi-decent. i quit my job as a business consultant because i wanted to break into A/V. i didnt stay there long, and went on to work for listenup in boulder. they are one of the more well-known high end shops in the US. for instance, this month they are having a special little "seminar" in store, john atkinson (editor of stereophile), some people from B&W, classe, sonus fabre, etc.. will all be on hand to chat with. ive met them all except for john, that should be interesting.

i now am a college student again (going back to school) but i run my own little audio/video company on the side to pay bills.

the best way to "break in" is to be a salesman, be a sales rep, and then you are in. ive seen many people go from salesman to higher-ups in the companies themselves. i know a guy who is now a big-shot at ayre acoustics by doing this.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"