• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • buckoff
    • Mar 2006

Projector off EBAY.. SHARP HOME THEATER PROJECTOR

Alright I have bought a SHARP HOME THEATER PROJECTOR
    TFT LCD model XV-S90U on ebay:

I CAN NOT find anything on this unit. I have searched google and yahoo and found this site so I quick registered and made this post. What I am looking for is info like WHAT did this machine cost new?? How old is it?? Is it a good projector?? Is 918,000 pixels a lot or a poor amount??? What size does this machine show?? ( I know it is adjustable but what size is good viewing without it being blurry and seeing the lines??) I am looking to buy a screen but don't know what size, thats why I asked that ^^^^ question?? If anyone has any information or has this projector model maybe you could help me out and answer a few questions?? Thanks and I hope you all can help me out!!!
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

well i looked around a little and closest thing i could find would be this on

Sharp XV-S96U projector specs, projector reviews and current street prices.

so not sure if this is helpful looks the same lol and is probably only a model higher. i guess for 300 bucks you couldnt really get much better

Ok i searched some more and found this page which is more detailed about the 96U which should be simaler it actually has resolution and stuff

Comment

• buckoff
      • Mar 2006

reply to Dougie085

oo well thanks Dougie085. I don't think the MSRP of my unit was $6500 though. haha maybe 5 or 6 years ago i guess it could have been

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

It looks like what you've got here is a definite older generation unit that only does S-video. I hate to break the bad news, but you've probably made a pretty bad purchase decision as far as for home theater. A lot of these type projectors were meant only for business presentations, and the S-video only input means all you can get as input is 220 lines of resolution. Not 480P associated with progressive scan DVD.

Really the time to talk about something like this is BEFORE you purchase, so members can jump in and help you make the right decision.

He says they watched the superbowl and WOW? Well, I don't know to many people typically wowed by S-video input on projectors and TV input-

If I were you, I'd try to get out of this purchase and look for something with a minimum of 600 x 800 pixels and component video input.

Even a 900.00 Best Buy model has that, and there are bound to be used ones in the same price range.

Sorry to break the bad news now, but I would not fool with installing this, if it were me.

These type units are surplused every day from the business world for nearly nothing. Odds are, that's where this one came from, yeah, it could have been an early generation home designed unit, even if, if it won't do component video, it's not worthy of home theater today.

Doug
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• greenjudas
          • Mar 2005

If it was made 5 or 6 yrs ago,it could be correct about the $6500 msrp.Projectors have come down in price substantially in that time.

Comment

• buckoff
            • Mar 2006

damnit

ooo i feel so horrible I don't like the outcoming of it

Comment

• buckoff
              • Mar 2006

do you think I payed way to much?? Does anyone had a unit like this and know stuff about it??

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

I hated posting that for you as much as you hated reading it. But I felt I'd be doing you a disservice if I were not honest with you.

Ordinarily, S-video for TV is acceptable. But what you have to realize is that as your screen gets bigger, the snow gets bigger. Myself, I run DirecTV HD capable receivers via component video to my projectors. This creates an acceptable image for TV viewing, though admitedly, not quite as good as DVD at 480P. Well, except for the HD fed material. that is sparkling.

The projector you bought is probably pretty tough to sell most of the time, but hey, several people bid on it, and someone else may rebid again on it if you want to unload it before installing it. Maybe you only loose 50 bucks, who knows, maybe nothing.

But if you want the best image, you need something at a minimum of 600 X 800 or ideally even more rez and you need to be connected with at least component video inputs. I can't recall the next numbers for 16:9, maybe tomorrow I will.

Hey, don't beat yourself up. Sometimes we learn hard lessons. I've learned more expensive ones than that before, believe me.

Let us know how else we can help, but before you act next time!

Doug
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"