Importance of matching surrounds to fronts?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahcryky
    • Feb 2006

Importance of matching surrounds to fronts?

Just a general question. I was wondering how important it is to match the surrounds with your front 3 speakers. I recently purchased a pair of paradigm studio 40's and 570 center. In a perfect world I guess they would say to go with the adp-470's, salesman pushes the $1200 pair that aren't hooked up....... but will I notice a huge drop off with not using those, perhaps a version 2 or maybe another surround speaker from another company. If anyone has used a different surround with their paradigm fronts I would appreciate any feedback I could get on their experience with them.
    Thanks
    Jim
    Last edited by ahcryky; 04 March 2006, 15:27 Saturday.
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Early on I used a mismatch, but you could tell a difference. I later matched all my speakers and it really was much better. All speakers sound the same now when I do a sound test. And some films where the sound of a car or truck crosses left to right, the sound doesn't change. Flyovers make a big difference, too, when all speakers are matched.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• ahcryky
      • Feb 2006

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
      Early on I used a mismatch, but you could tell a difference. I later matched all my speakers and it really was much better. All speakers sound the same now when I do a sound test. And some films where the sound of a car or truck crosses left to right, the sound doesn't change. Flyovers make a big difference, too, when all speakers are matched.
      Thanks George....... that makes sense.

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

Jim,

I actually run Mirage speakers up front (omnipolar, front and centers), and DefTech (bipolar) speakers for the rear. This configuration works well for me after calibration, I believe because their polar technologies are closely related. I would just ensure that your front and center speakers are the same to ensure timbre matching, but it certainly would be great as George stated if all your speakers were matched.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• ahcryky
          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Azeke
          Jim,

I actually run Mirage speakers up front (omnipolar, front and centers), and DefTech (bipolar) speakers for the rear. This configuration works well for me after calibration, I believe because their polar technologies are closely related. I would just ensure that your front and center speakers are the same to ensure timbre matching, but it certainly would be great as George stated if all your speakers were matched.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
          Azeke-
          Thanks, did you do some kind of trial and error or is there a way to figure out what speakers would come close in tech for the paradigms (40's and 570) if I don't end up getting the adp 470's.
          thanks
          jim

Comment

• Azeke
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2003

A little trial and error was involved, I had some older speakers laying around, however they didn't provide quite the acoustical impact I was looking for. I therefore became more diligent and began to check speaker specifications (wattage, cone sizes, etc.) and tried to closely match the speakers based on those specifications (and of course polar technology).

One of the best things to do is try find a simular setup to yours or a trial setup in your home, listening for yourself is the key. Your acoustical mileage may vary.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

I HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend matching speakers. The MOST critical matching it your centers to mains. Since this is where the majority of sound happens in a theater, and most of the pans are mainly in the front, this is very important. But like George said, if you don't have surrounds matched to your fronts, you'll be able to tell, fairly easily, after some playing of surround material.
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• ahcryky
                • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Chris Dotur
                I HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend matching speakers. The MOST critical matching it your centers to mains. Since this is where the majority of sound happens in a theater, and most of the pans are mainly in the front, this is very important. But like George said, if you don't have surrounds matched to your fronts, you'll be able to tell, fairly easily, after some playing of surround material.
                Thanks, this becomes one of the more easier decisions in my HT upgrade now.......

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"