X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ungawa
    • Feb 2006

HT Receiver without so many inputs !

Hi -

I have a modest (!) HT system that needs a total upgrade (too embarrassed to give a description!).... most urgently a good receiver.

The problem is - all the machines out there seem to have an ABUNDANCE of inputs and outputs, both audio and increasingly, video ..

I'm not really interested at all in them as I have a DVD Recorder with RGB in from my Sky decoder, a VCR, and Playstation, and iPod... and thats IT!!!
    CD's are played through the DVD or iPod, as are DVD's etc etc .. And Video is almost totally through the DVD recorder.

What I'm getting at is - are there any 5,6 or 7.1 Receivers out there that focus less on packing in the in/out options??

I get exhausted reading the ever increasing number of permutations when, effectively, I will have a setup using a fraction of them !!!!

I would appreciate any feedback.

Cheers - Brent
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Brent,

Welcome to HT Guide :later: .

Please provide a budget, it will allow us to provide better feedback.

Best regards,

Azeke

Comment

• ungawa
      • Feb 2006

Hi - great forum - lots of reading being done .. very glad to be here !

Now, other Receivers I have been looking at down here in NZ have been the Denon (3805/6), the Rotel (RSX 1056) as well as some Mirantz ..

Thats not really the point of my post however - I'm curious as to whether there are many Receivers with a limited number of input's/output's out there - or more intersting still - Audio Only multi-channel Receivers ...

Again - Grateful for any info !

Chur - b

Comment

• gd
        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by ungawa
        curious as to whether there are many Receivers with a limited number of input's/output's out there - or more intersting still - Audio Only multi-channel Receivers ...
        No.

The whole point of a receiver is to be as complete an all-in-box as possible.

The lone audio-only preamp/processor that I know of is made by Bryston... big $$$, plus you need to add a separate power amp... http://www.bryston.ca/sp17_m.html

You might look at the Cambridge Audio AV receiver... fewer inputs (includes video), small footprint, great sound quality, great build, good price... flip side: few features, difficult to set up unless you're an expert, no 2-ch analog 'source direct' connection (unless you use the multi-ins)... http://CA540R.notlong.com

Happy hunting.
        Last edited by gd; 25 February 2006, 16:44 Saturday.
        greg (gd to you)
        Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
        production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• ungawa
          • Feb 2006

Many thanks for that - I have been searching feverously elsewhere on the forums and it seems to be the Pre-processor / Power amp thread I need to investigate further ..
          The impression I have is that path is a more expensive route .. but as you say - the Home Theatre Receiver has to cover all bases ..

There is so much great reading on this site - so glad to have found it !

Thanks again - Brent

Comment

• Kevin P
            • Aug 2000

Is there any specific reason you're looking for a receiver/processor with fewer inputs? Just because it has 10 inputs doesn't mean you have to use them all. Plus most units have discrete input codes either on the remote or available for universal remotes, so you can scale down your remote if you like (eliminating input buttons you don't use).

More inputs means more flexibility down the road. You never know what you'll add to your system down the road. Better to have too many than too few!

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI Brent,
              I agree with Kevin's view. When I recently put my new HT system together I was frankly amazed by the sheer number of inputs, outputs, and other goodies on my Denon 3805 receiver. And this is stated by someone who has never been a minimalist with my stereo systems. I have always liked maximum flexibility in my systems. But HT took this to a whole new level.

Now, after months of tweeking, hooking up, movings around, plugging and unplugging, rethinking, I am thankful for the flexibility offered by my new equipment.

I could never have optimized my system as it now is if I had followed my original opinions concerning the apparent overkill by the equipment designers. They seem to have anticipated my every need even if I didn't know I had them.

Sparky

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"