X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Holland
    • Oct 2005

Good progresive DVD player

Iam looking for a good progresive dvd player around $200.
    I have a panny 42inch EDTV with HDMI input.
    Right now Iam thinking about the oppo player but I heard it has long disc loading times, something I really hate. I heard great things about it upconversion but I dont know how it preforms in 480p, also it only gives 480p thru the HDMI port.
    I like all the other things the oppo does, but my main concern is that its quality (also audio) might not up to par with some older 480p only player from denon/sony/pioneer.
    Has any one some idea about this? Or can some people comment about the 480p quality? If that is on to par with other 480p players I might be able to live with the long loading times (esp for cd)

Thanks........
  • Shane Martin
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2001

If the Oppo is not your bag, the Panasonic S77 is.

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

I've had an Oppo since they came out in December 2004. Does not have long disk loading times in my opinion, but I haven't put it on a stop watch. It only does upscaling on the DVI port. The DVI port is NOT HDCP protected, so you can use it with any DVI or HDMI capable display. It uses a Faroudja de-interlacing/scaler chip, so the quality with video sourced material is also excellent. But all Faroudja chip players are a little more sensitive about having digital display properly calibrated on levels- otherwise the so-called macrblocking can be visible because miscalibration produces posterization and some stepping in gray scale. I have a CRT FPTV, but it's run through a DVI to RGBHV converter, which has always been a breeze to setup. The Oppo has some of the best setup controls in the biz on a DVD player with the firmware since last June. Brightness on should be about +3, and everything else "stock".

Best $200 I ever spent on a display. I run mine at 1080i scaling setting. Gorgeous picture, even on all those video sourced DVD (TV shows) that give a lot of players de–interlacing fits.
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Holland
        • Oct 2005

I heard some reviewers complain about the disc loading times. I had a old marantz dvd player which took ages to load a cd, didn't matter because I had a seperate cd player back then, but now I want to use all in one player.
        JonMarsh did you try to play dvd's with mp3's on it? Thats something else I would like to do, but not too many dvd players seem to support that.

Also its an upconverter player (as are most these days) since I only need 480p Iam afraid Iam wasting money on something I don't need.

My panasonic EDTV is not callibrated but it gives a fine picture, Iam not sure if macroblocking will be an issue.

Comment

• Azeke
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2003

The OPPO OPDV971H was the most highly rated DVD player in a DVD Player Benchmark review.

Overview listed below:

DVI (Digital Video Interface) output to eliminate flickers and to produce more clear pictures

High resolutions include 480p, 540P, 576p, 720p, 1080i
          Up Convert from 480i to 720p/1080i
          DCDi by Faroudja. Video is analyzed on a single pixel granularity to detect presence or absence of angled lines and edges, which are then processed to produce a smooth natural looking image without visible artifacts (jaggies)
          Plays DivX® 5, DivX® 4, DivX® 3, and DivX® VOD video content (in compliance with DivX Certified™ technical requirements)
          Plays XviD and .SRT, .SMI, .IDX and .SUB formats
          Per-pixel Motion Adaptive De-interlacing
          Patented FilmMode Processing C Used for proper de-interlacing of 3:2 and 2:2 pull down material

Functions:
          DVD Video, DVD Audio, Divx/MPEG4, Audio CD, HDCD, WMA, DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, CD-R/RW, Kodak Picture
          Super Error Correction with Twin Laser and Intelligent Laser Wavelength Control
          PAL / NTSC discs
          Automatic Screensaver
          Menu Driven Setup Screen
          Playability of self-recorded discs may vary depending on media and formatting software types

Video:
          108MHz/12bit Video D/A Converter
          DVI Output
          NTSC / PAL Output
          Screen Aspect Ratio 4:3 and 16:9
          Smart Video: Sharpness/Contrast/Brightness/Saturation
          Multi-Angled View
          Multi-Language for On-Screen-Display

Audio:
          192 KHz Sampling Frequency, 24-Bit High Quality Audio DAC
          Dolby Digital Down-mixed 2-Ch Stereo (L. R)
          Built-in Dolby digital Decoder, Dolby Digital (AC3) 5.1 Channel Output
          Built-in DTS Digital Decoder, DTS 5.1 Channel Output
          Dolby Digital/DTS/LCPM Bitstream Output
          3D Surround (Virtual Surround): Concert, Live, Dance, Techno, Classic, Soft

Power Supply:
          ~~110V - ~~250V, 50Hz/60Hz AC Universal Power Supply
          Automatic Short Circuit Protection

Connectors:
          Analog (Mixed 2 Ch) Stereo (Left, Right) Audio
          S/PDIF (IEC-958) Coaxial/Optical Digital Audio
          Component Video/Composite Video/S-Video
          DVI (5' DVI-DVI-D cable included)
          Bonus: 6' DVI-HDMI cable
          5.1 Channel Audio

The shootout comparison:

DVD Benchmark tests

It gets my vote for a sub $200.00 DVD player, in my humble opinion. I certainly wouldn't be worried about layer changes, which seems to be one of your concerns.

Best regards,

Azeke

Comment

• CougarCruiser
            • Sep 2005

I was thinking about the Pany S77 for use with my new Panasonic 50'' plasma.

Does anyone know if I will have these scaling/macroblocking issues with this setup?

I would be connecting via HDMI -- possibly through a receiver with HDMI switching.

Thoughts?

Comment

• Holland
              • Oct 2005

What I want to know how is the 480p of the oppo compaired with a normal bugdet players 480p picture? I have a EDTV, when I feed it HDTV the picture is very good, I want to get the same picture with my dvd player. Which should be possible since my EDTV resolution is 480p, so HDTV or DVD should look the same. I dont need a upscaling DVD player since then I would be making 2 conversions (1 up 1 down) for nothing.
              I like the oppo for the fact it plays a lot of different discs and is region free. Since I am from europe I have a lot of region 2 pal dvd's

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"