X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • recsq
    • Jun 2004

How do you... do in-walls?

Hello I need some help I'm in the process of having a new home built and will be going to in-wall speakers(hiding cable from the wife). I realized that I will still have other cables going to a plasma display that I would like to put in the walls. I've seen component video wall plates but I'm wondering how do attach the cable to the plate on the inside of the wall?
    Last edited by Burke Strickland; 28 January 2006, 11:07 Saturday. Reason: "Teaser" title changed to indicate subject of thread
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Recsq, first of all welcome to the forum.

You could run 3 Coax (RG6) cables instead of that expensive and cumbersome component cable in the wall. You can terminate it to the back of the wall plate with an F-connector and have a standard 3 RCA (Component) connection on the front side.

Best regards,

Azeke

Comment

• recsq
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Azeke
      Recsq, first of all welcome to the forum.

You could run 3 Coax (RG6) cables instead of that expensive and cumbersome component cable in the wall. You can terminate it to the back of the wall plate with an F-connector and have a standard 3 RCA (Component) connection on the front side.

Best regards,

Azeke
      Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the info, that I can do as I recently rewired my current home with RG6.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

recsq, most wall plates of any connection type end up being something like an "extender plug", or an adapter with two female jacks. Then all you do is take a normal cable with a male plug (normal) and plug it into each side. So you can run an actual component cable in your walls (it's supposed to be rated for actual in-wall use, though) or use three coax cables instead. As Azeke said, on the back of video wall plates, you sometimes have options to use F-connectors or RCA jacks, so your choice which plug you terminate the coax with.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• recsq
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Chris Dotur
          recsq, most wall plates of any connection type end up being something like an "extender plug", or an adapter with two female jacks. Then all you do is take a normal cable with a male plug (normal) and plug it into each side. So you can run an actual component cable in your walls (it's supposed to be rated for actual in-wall use, though) or use three coax cables instead. As Azeke said, on the back of video wall plates, you sometimes have options to use F-connectors or RCA jacks, so your choice which plug you terminate the coax with.
          And thank-you Chris I would love to be able to use f-connectors on the inside of the wall since they screw on do you know of any that use f-connectors on the inside and RCA's on the outside.

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Hmmm... I got most everything either from Parts Express, or Leviton products. All of mine are installed in my walls, now, so I can't check, but just search both of those.
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• sanaka
              • Feb 2005

f-connectors on the inside and RCA's on the outside.
              Markertek. These snap into modular wall plates.
              We are sorry for the inconvenience...

Comment

• AvFan
                • Feb 2006

Recsq,

This is my first post to this forum even though I have read and enjoyed this site for some time. Your post on hiding wires (a mission of mine) caught my attention.

My plasma is wall-mounted over the fireplace so I had to run my cables in the wall. I have used an Extron plate for my HT connections. They are not cheap but made out of metal and generally used in commercial applications. They have models that fit a two gang box where you can add up to four inserts with the connections of your choice. I installed three component (RG59 coaxial) cables with RCA connections, s-video, component video (also RG59 coax) and a 15 pin computer cable in my wall. All were terminated on a two gang Extron plate. All the connectors on the plate were female on both sides. If I were to do it again I'd add a digital video cable and connection.

Also, all the analog video cables can be made with a high quaility coax and good connectors. I appreciate the sponsor of this site but inwall applications with high quality RG6 and RG59 in-wall coax cable would work very well for your plasma. There are variety of quality connectors available. You can order them or make them if you want to pay the initial price for the tools. To be safe I'd run a couple of extra coax to the plasma for future uses or even better have a way (conduit?) to fish any new wire to an electrical box behind the plasma.

If you have not considered it I'd have a separate electrical circuit each for the plasma and the HT equipment. Seperation from motors, flourescent lights, and lights on dimmers is very important. Also, I had a clock electrical outlet installed behind the plasma. It is recessed and made the electrical connection easier.

Good luck on your new home. There are so many choices during the process but you are wise to do the HT planning now when adding wires is very cheap. Now, about in-wall speaker cables...

AvFan

Comment

• recsq
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by AvFan
                  Recsq,

This is my first post to this forum even though I have read and enjoyed this site for some time. Your post on hiding wires (a mission of mine) caught my attention.

My plasma is wall-mounted over the fireplace so I had to run my cables in the wall. I have used an Extron plate for my HT connections. They are not cheap but made out of metal and generally used in commercial applications. They have models that fit a two gang box where you can add up to four inserts with the connections of your choice. I installed three component (RG59 coaxial) cables with RCA connections, s-video, component video (also RG59 coax) and a 15 pin computer cable in my wall. All were terminated on a two gang Extron plate. All the connectors on the plate were female on both sides. If I were to do it again I'd add a digital video cable and connection.

Also, all the analog video cables can be made with a high quaility coax and good connectors. I appreciate the sponsor of this site but inwall applications with high quality RG6 and RG59 in-wall coax cable would work very well for your plasma. There are variety of quality connectors available. You can order them or make them if you want to pay the initial price for the tools. To be safe I'd run a couple of extra coax to the plasma for future uses or even better have a way (conduit?) to fish any new wire to an electrical box behind the plasma.

If you have not considered it I'd have a separate electrical circuit each for the plasma and the HT equipment. Seperation from motors, flourescent lights, and lights on dimmers is very important. Also, I had a clock electrical outlet installed behind the plasma. It is recessed and made the electrical connection easier.

Good luck on your new home. There are so many choices during the process but you are wise to do the HT planning now when adding wires is very cheap. Now, about in-wall speaker cables...

AvFan
                  Thanks AvFan this is great info this brings another question as to speakers. Right now I'm leaning towards the B&W CWM LCR7's for the fronts and center and the CCM 80's for the surounds. I like these because they all offer an optional back box. I'm also considering the Definitive Technology UIW 75's and UIW 65's. Any thoughts?

Comment

• AvFan
                    • Feb 2006

recsq,

I'm not much help on the speakers you have listed; I'm running M&Ks (851s for L&R, S125C for the center, 55s for the surrounds and a MX-70B subwoofer) and I have not listened to the speakers you listed. I like my M&Ks, particularly for movies. However, speakers are such an individual thing I'm hoping someone on this site will have compared the B&Ws and Def Techs and give you their opinion. Even better, can you listen to them side-by-side? Understand that any speaker will sound different in your house because each room has its own acoustic characteristics but you will know which you prefer. Best of luck!

Comment

• millenniumrx2
                      • Oct 2005

your local radio shack store can help you. if you buy in wall, try out the polk lic in wall series. i install the lic80 for my brothers and he loved it.
                      yamaha rx-v3300,rotel rb-990bx,hk tl8600 cd, samsung hd-dvd, monster hts3600

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"